Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
danny8826

Need Help With Free/Reduce Airfare

Recommended Posts

Hello,

 

We haven't sail with NCL before.  This would be our first time.

We are looking at the South America Cruise for either this Dec or next Dec (most likely) during the holidays.

They do offer free/reduce airfare from LAX.

They told me that I can put my name down to secure the space for next Dec and it's $1400 per person.

They also said I won't know the airline, time or how many connections until 60 days before.

 

My questions are, what if I agree with the price and they let me know the flight info at 60 days and once I see that info, can I still cancel the flight?

My other question would be, is $1400 too high or reasonable?

 

Thank you in advance for your help.

 

Danny

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Same here - when we talked to the lady on the phone, we were also asking about hotels for coming in the night before.  She said coming in a day early wasn't an option & we could end up on a red eye from Dallas to Seattle.  We just decided to book our own air so we can choose the airline where we already have points as well as the day & time of day.  We could have saved lots of money I suppose, but it just didn't seem worth it.

 

The only other time we booked air through a cruise line was with Princess.  They booked it for early morning, which was what we wanted.  However, a few months prior to the sailing, they notified us that our flight was not available and moved us to one that didn't even arrive in Florida until 2pm.  With sailaway being at 4pm, we had it changed to the day before.  At least they were willing to do that.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, dmdiver said:

Same here - when we talked to the lady on the phone, we were also asking about hotels for coming in the night before.  She said coming in a day early wasn't an option & we could end up on a red eye from Dallas to Seattle.  We just decided to book our own air so we can choose the airline where we already have points as well as the day & time of day.  We could have saved lots of money I suppose, but it just didn't seem worth it.

 

The only other time we booked air through a cruise line was with Princess.  They booked it for early morning, which was what we wanted.  However, a few months prior to the sailing, they notified us that our flight was not available and moved us to one that didn't even arrive in Florida until 2pm.  With sailaway being at 4pm, we had it changed to the day before.  At least they were willing to do that.  

 

 

Thank you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Danny8826

There is another free/reduced air thread going on that the OP has stated they are 20 days out and still no air showing up on their DOCS. Scary!!!!

 

Personally I would be very uncomfortable with letting someone else choose my flights.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, beerman2 said:

Danny8826

There is another free/reduced air thread going on that the OP has stated they are 20 days out and still no air showing up on their DOCS. Scary!!!!

 

Personally I would be very uncomfortable with letting someone else choose my flights.

 

Thank you.  I totally agree.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To answer your question, $1400 RT during that time seem very reasonable to me.  I had a holiday cruise booked via NCL that was South America in early January and the airfare (before they were doing airfare) was twice as much as the cruise and I looked really hard before canceling.

 

It is a gamble though but once airfare is available for those dates can  you pay in full and have them book it?  This way you have the record locator and can go to the airline website and play around and find seats.

 

It is considered a bulk airfare and sometimes the restrictions are not worth it.  Would love to hear from folks who have done international flights with NCL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, coloradocruiselover88 said:

To answer your question, $1400 RT during that time seem very reasonable to me.  I had a holiday cruise booked via NCL that was South America in early January and the airfare (before they were doing airfare) was twice as much as the cruise and I looked really hard before canceling.

 

It is a gamble though but once airfare is available for those dates can  you pay in full and have them book it?  This way you have the record locator and can go to the airline website and play around and find seats.

 

It is considered a bulk airfare and sometimes the restrictions are not worth it.  Would love to hear from folks who have done international flights with NCL.

 

Thank you. 

I can pay in full but i"m not sure if they can booked ti right away.

I have done airfare with Royal Caribbean many times, but not this way.  They have a dedicated website where you can go and check out the price. For example, I am heading to Europe this June (in 2 weeks).  I booked via a site called www.choiceair.com which is part of Royal Caribbean.  I got the fare for $1052 where as if I were going to buy it from elsewhere online, it would be $1500+ easily. 

 

Yes, it would be great to hear what others have experienced with NCL air for international travel.

 

Thank you,

Danny

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have used NCL for 4 transatlantic cruises. Once I received my documents I was able to choose our seats. The one time I needed to change the flight they had us on, I paid $100 for flight deviation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The problem with trying to answer your question is the fare depends on the dates in December.  We just booked round trip los angeles to ft. Lauderdale leaving December 20 returning January 4, $1,220 per person.  Earlier in December would be a third of that cost.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dadroy said:

The problem with trying to answer your question is the fare depends on the dates in December.  We just booked round trip los angeles to ft. Lauderdale leaving December 20 returning January 4, $1,220 per person.  Earlier in December would be a third of that cost.

 

Thank you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, mustymom said:

I have used NCL for 4 transatlantic cruises. Once I received my documents I was able to choose our seats. The one time I needed to change the flight they had us on, I paid $100 for flight deviation.

 

Thank you.  That's good to know.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, dmdiver said:

Same here - when we talked to the lady on the phone, we were also asking about hotels for coming in the night before.  She said coming in a day early wasn't an option & we could end up on a red eye from Dallas to Seattle.  We just decided to book our own air so we can choose the airline where we already have points as well as the day & time of day.  We could have saved lots of money I suppose, but it just didn't seem worth it.

 

The only other time we booked air through a cruise line was with Princess.  They booked it for early morning, which was what we wanted.  However, a few months prior to the sailing, they notified us that our flight was not available and moved us to one that didn't even arrive in Florida until 2pm.  With sailaway being at 4pm, we had it changed to the day before.  At least they were willing to do that.  

We are doing reduced air on our Oct cruise and I am a little nervous. When I was still TA back about 5 years ago I had a couple of horror reservations: yes, it was Princess and not NCL. They too switched a family reservation: 18 people coming from 3 different directions and the airline split the group up so badly they had 2 kids, 7 and 10 years old flying separately from their parents and arriving in Seattle 2 hours earlier than the parents. It was of course straightened out, but the worst mess I ever dealt with. Maybe this is why NCL doesn't assign the air until a month or so prior to sailing. I have to say though, when we compare $99 round trip with about $600 it is worth the gamble.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My last cruise NCL booked the air for us, completely free (outside of transfer costs) from JFK to MIA. We almost missed the cruise due to airline delays, but since NCL booked it we would have eventually caught up with them on their dime or gotten a refund (missing 2 days out of a 5 day cruise, we wouldn't have bothered trying to catch up at that point). Flight was direct and should have gotten us into Miami by noon for a 4pm sailing. We didn't land in Miami until after 2pm and walked onto the ship at 3:54pm. Nerve wracking, yes, but that was American Airlines fault more so than NCL.

 

Our upcoming cruise next month will be JFK to Honolulu for $600/pp roundtrip. Cheapest I've found on my own is over $1000. It has a short layover in San Fran going, and Seattle coming back, but honestly I'd rather have that chance to stretch my legs and pee in a normal bathroom than sit on a flight for 11 hrs straight. We're schedule to get into Hawaii before 3pm, ship isn't leaving until 7pm.... fingers crossed that there will not be a repeat of the issues we had last trip. We got that flight info around 52 days out, but NCL was having tons of issues with their website that week which may have delayed getting the edocs sooner. Pricing out our exact flights directly on Alaskan Airlines website, the tickets should have cost us close to $1200 each, so we got them at half price or buy one get one.

 

Next cruise after that is January 2020 and we've once again let NCL do the flights for us (so far). Their price was $350/pp, the best I've seen on my alerts was $450 and that would require me to get to Newark NJ first - which I refuse to do. For that one I have until my final payment date of September to cancel their flights if I do manage to find something better on my own. For now I'm reserved with them at a cheap price (but lots of unknowns), and it gives me another 3 months to find something better on my own. If I don't, I've got the $350 flight saved for me and no trouble lost.

 

Price out the flights yourself either on Kayak or directly with an airline (NCL likes using AA and their affiliates a lot, if you wanted to use them for comparison) and see how much savings you'll get. It honestly depends on the airport you fly out of as to whether you'll get a better deal through NCL (like us, since JFK is a major hub for lots of places) or if you're better off on your own. They won't give you a ton of stops if they can avoid it because each stop is a chance for something to go wrong. If they book your flights, it's their responsibility to make sure you catch your ship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, newmexicoNita said:

We are doing reduced air on our Oct cruise and I am a little nervous. When I was still TA back about 5 years ago I had a couple of horror reservations: yes, it was Princess and not NCL. They too switched a family reservation: 18 people coming from 3 different directions and the airline split the group up so badly they had 2 kids, 7 and 10 years old flying separately from their parents and arriving in Seattle 2 hours earlier than the parents. It was of course straightened out, but the worst mess I ever dealt with. Maybe this is why NCL doesn't assign the air until a month or so prior to sailing. I have to say though, when we compare $99 round trip with about $600 it is worth the gamble.  

 

 

Thanks so much for sharing.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Sailing12Away said:

My last cruise NCL booked the air for us, completely free (outside of transfer costs) from JFK to MIA. We almost missed the cruise due to airline delays, but since NCL booked it we would have eventually caught up with them on their dime or gotten a refund (missing 2 days out of a 5 day cruise, we wouldn't have bothered trying to catch up at that point). Flight was direct and should have gotten us into Miami by noon for a 4pm sailing. We didn't land in Miami until after 2pm and walked onto the ship at 3:54pm. Nerve wracking, yes, but that was American Airlines fault more so than NCL.

 

Our upcoming cruise next month will be JFK to Honolulu for $600/pp roundtrip. Cheapest I've found on my own is over $1000. It has a short layover in San Fran going, and Seattle coming back, but honestly I'd rather have that chance to stretch my legs and pee in a normal bathroom than sit on a flight for 11 hrs straight. We're schedule to get into Hawaii before 3pm, ship isn't leaving until 7pm.... fingers crossed that there will not be a repeat of the issues we had last trip. We got that flight info around 52 days out, but NCL was having tons of issues with their website that week which may have delayed getting the edocs sooner. Pricing out our exact flights directly on Alaskan Airlines website, the tickets should have cost us close to $1200 each, so we got them at half price or buy one get one.

 

Next cruise after that is January 2020 and we've once again let NCL do the flights for us (so far). Their price was $350/pp, the best I've seen on my alerts was $450 and that would require me to get to Newark NJ first - which I refuse to do. For that one I have until my final payment date of September to cancel their flights if I do manage to find something better on my own. For now I'm reserved with them at a cheap price (but lots of unknowns), and it gives me another 3 months to find something better on my own. If I don't, I've got the $350 flight saved for me and no trouble lost.

 

Price out the flights yourself either on Kayak or directly with an airline (NCL likes using AA and their affiliates a lot, if you wanted to use them for comparison) and see how much savings you'll get. It honestly depends on the airport you fly out of as to whether you'll get a better deal through NCL (like us, since JFK is a major hub for lots of places) or if you're better off on your own. They won't give you a ton of stops if they can avoid it because each stop is a chance for something to go wrong. If they book your flights, it's their responsibility to make sure you catch your ship.

 

Thank you for the advices.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, danny8826 said:

 

 

Can someone please explain the "trick" too getting NCL air? I have never seen the option when booking any cruise. Thank you 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...