Do you think this note and a $5 bill would get you a quieter table?

Carl Nival

I have Anytime Dining, but one thing I don’t like about it is when you’re seated just an inch apart from fellow diners. I just want to visit with DH, and not feel obligated to visit with fellow diners or moderate what I say because I feel like I’m being eavesdropped on. Do you think this note with a $5 bill on Night One would solve that problem?

500B47DE-CAAF-47A3-8536-289B0E03DB6B.jpeg

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Carl Nival said:

I have Anytime Dining, but one thing I don’t like about it is when you’re seated just an inch apart from fellow diners. I just want to visit with DH, and not feel obligated to visit with fellow diners or moderate what I say because I feel like I’m being eavesdropped on. Do you think this note with a $5 bill on Night One would solve that problem?

500B47DE-CAAF-47A3-8536-289B0E03DB6B.jpeg

Why not just talk to the maître d and ask about more privacy?   This note and a 5 dollar bill seems rude and obnoxious.

With the size of the ships and number of passengers, I am not sure how private of a table you think you are going to get though.  Maybe try some of the other food venues on board for more privacy?

• Like 12

To add to what others have stated, the note is childish at best. You didn’t mention what ship you are going on, but in general the tables in the MDR don’t offer too much privacy. Your chances of getting a quieter, more secluded table are much better if you eat at a speciality restaurant, which again depends on the ship. 

• Like 4

I’m assuming this is a joke, but I don’t like the tables they have that are lined up 4 inches from the next too so I just always ask for a private table for 2 from the host or hostess. It’s never failed to get us a regular dining table that’s not awkwardly close to the next table.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Jerseygirl1416 said:

I’m assuming this is a joke, but I don’t like the tables they have that are lined up 4 inches from the next too so I just always ask for a private table for 2 from the host or hostess. It’s never failed to get us a regular dining table that’s not awkwardly close to the next table.

This wasn’t a joke.  I’m glad someone else doesn’t like sitting practically family style when you just want to unwind and dine with DH.  

11 minutes ago, Carl Nival said:

A nice thing too about a note with cartoon diners is that a lot of MDR staff don’t speak English as a first language. This avoids confusion.

You say this isn't a joke, but that comment says otherwise. You asked a question, multiple people provided you with a much better option than what you want to do, yet you take your bit even further. It's hard to take it seriously when you keep digging a deeper hole.

You'd be making this request to the maitre d or the MDR host and they'll understand you just fine. I'm with others...take the sensible adult route and simply ask.

• Like 4

I guarantee that the crew with be making fun of you behind your back for the rest of the trip if you present a note like that. Just ask for a private table and if you can't be accommodated on any particular night, either come back a little while later or Lido has tons of private tables at dinner. 

• Like 2

I would go to the MDR when you board the ship and take a look around at the tables.

IF you find a 2 top that looks like it is quieter than the others take note of the number of that table.

When you arrive in the MDR for dinner just ask for that table by number.

We have found that actually speaking to people is much more respectful than anything else!

1 hour ago, Carl Nival said:

A nice thing too about a note with cartoon diners is that a lot of MDR staff don’t speak English as a first language. This avoids confusion.

The host/hostess will speak enough English to understand what you’re asking for. He/she may have an accent, but they’re in a role where they need to talk to people. It’ll be fine. You can even save your 5 dollars. 

I get get wanting a quieter table.  Since you have anytime dining, if you like where you are the first night, you can ask to be in the same general area again.  If not, you can ask for a different area. 

1 minute ago, vamartha said:

We ask for a booth to avoid the 2 inch "private" tables.  Always works and we always have privacy in a booth.  We don't mind waiting for an extra few minutes in order to receive a booth.

That’s a great idea, thank you. Will they seat just 2 people in a booth?

29 minutes ago, coevan said:

I have never had a server who did not speak sufficient English, your comment is insensitive at best. I love the exaggeration on the distance between tables. I have seen, just on this thread 1", 2" and 4". Think of it this way, you have to stand up and get out between the tables, at least the distance of your thighs. 😁

I've posted this photo in the past but I guess it's relevant to this thread - this is from the Freedom a few years ago and is typical of the spacing between the two tops:

100_2224.JPG

3 minutes ago, joepeka said:

I've posted this photo in the past but I guess it's relevant to this thread - this is from the Freedom a few years ago and is typical of the spacing between the two tops:

100_2224.JPG

This is exactly why I created the note. Zero privacy. I felt like I was being eavesdropped on. 

First, if privacy is that important to you, go to the MDR on embarkation day and discuss you needs with the staff. I have always been accommodated.  If you are going to drop some cash add a zero to the amount listed. 

• Like 2

Just now, SwordBlazer Cruising said:

Carnival apparently is sending any email from @hotmail, @gmail etc into Spam folders as they are sick of getting direct email from guests onboard. 

Believe me. They aren’t.

Heald has been saying that ever since I publicized his email address.

You can even email the ship’s cruise director and they will respond.