Alright, curious about the edible straws.....

RoperDK

On 6/11/2019 at 6:39 PM, RoperDK said:

That is interesting!  Not what I was thinking about when I heard edible straws.  I was imagining a hollow rolled cookie or chocolate type thing.  I've never seen that, but that's what I pictured.  If those straws are biodegradable, then why don't they offer them for other drinks?  Probably a cost factor.  I wonder if they have a biodegradable olive picks?  Bloody Mary's are just not the same without olives!

They are now using spaghetti noodles for the olive picks.  Just came off Magic. 

• Thanks 1

We buy straws made from corn so they dissolve when they get wet.  I plan to bring a ziplock of those so if someone other than me decides to throw it in the ocean, it's all good.  Paper straws are stupid, candy straws are for kids, plastic straws are the devil apparently, so corn it is!  Our local restaurant supply sells them so we buy a few boxes every time we visit.

My recent cruise had edible straws: they were made of sugar, and came in 3 flavors: chocolate, lime, and strawberry.  I tried them all.  They were OK, but nothing to write home about.  The lime and the strawberry kind of tasted like solidified, less-tart Pixy Stix, and the chocolate tasted like a cheap pudding popsicle.

I took them just to say I tried them.  I tend to drink my cocktails quickly anyway, so my straws stayed solid until my drink was done.  But most people tend to sip and nurse their cocktails, which makes sugar straws a bit problematic.  So if I were Carnival, I'd use cornstarch straws.  They taste neutral and degrade very quickly.  So whether a cornstarch straw makes it into a proper landfill or accidentally falls into ocean, it won't do any damage, even if an animal tries to eat it.

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01

Edible lime straws on our recent cruise on the Fantasy Yes was lime taste but barely lime taste Held up during our drink not that we drink too fast but don’t linger with our frozen Pina Coladas don’t want for them to melt. Did see regular straws in the Universe Lounge for the farewell show so must have to ask for them but obviously available 

On 6/11/2019 at 4:26 PM, RoperDK said:

I wonder if I could score one of those for my margaritas on the rocks.  Acidic drinks make my lips break out.  And no, I'm not giving up my margaritas.  I will find a way.  Don't want to bring my own plastic straws.  There has to be a compromise!

I haven't read all the replies yet, so this might already be mentioned. You can buy either plastic reusable or stainless steel straws. I recently bought a set off Amazaon that I really like. Make sure if you get a set to also get the silicone tips. I didn't think it would matter as I don't drink hot drinks with a straw, but even drinking ice water, the straw gets really cold. I then had to go back and order the tips when I could have ordered a set that had everything already.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=stainless+steel+straws&crid=2MKA7H8QR96IP&sprefix=stain%2Caps%2C266&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_6_5

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Dixe Lee said:

Edible lime straws on our recent cruise on the Fantasy Yes was lime taste but barely lime taste Held up during our drink not that we drink too fast but don’t linger with our frozen Pina Coladas don’t want for them to melt. Did see regular straws in the Universe Lounge for the farewell show so must have to ask for them but obviously available 

According to John Heald on a recent post on his Facebook page, they are only using up their supply of plastic straws if you ask for one. Once they are gone, there will be none. Only the edible sugar straws. They will not, at this time, tell people they can’t bring their own plastic disposable straws. So, I did order a large box of plastic, not reusable, straws off Amazon. I then put the approximate amount I may need on each of my upcoming 3 cruises in zip lock gallon size bags to pack. 

• Haha 1

Disposable plastics are a danger to us all. Please google 'the great Pacific Garbage Patch'.  Its a giant floating patch of plastic garbage 2X the size of Texas in the Pacific. Its formed by circular  ocean currents that push the garbage together in the center of the ocean. Tho the Pacific Garbage is the largest, every ocean has one. Plastic floats, and the sun slowly disintegrates it into small bits that marine life eat and die. Small bits disintegrate into tiny bits that fish eat , then we eat the fish. Eco straws will get better with time, until then I am willing to 'rough it'.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jimdalva said:

Disposable plastics are a danger to us all. Please google 'the great Pacific Garbage Patch'.  Its a giant floating patch of plastic garbage 2X the size of Texas in the Pacific. Its formed by circular  ocean currents that push the garbage together in the center of the ocean. Tho the Pacific Garbage is the largest, every ocean has one. Plastic floats, and the sun slowly disintegrates it into small bits that marine life eat and die. Small bits disintegrate into tiny bits that fish eat , then we eat the fish. Eco straws will get better with time, until then I am willing to 'rough it'.

Thank you.

My 12 year old niece just spent a chunk of a gift card she received for her birthday on reusable metal straws, to do her part to protect the environment.  If she is smart enough to do that, you'd think adults could handle not stealing straws from Starbucks to bring on cruises or buy metal straws instead of bringing plastic straws on cruises and contributing to the problem!

• Like 1

I like straws for my drinks, especially frozen ones - those are difficult to drink without a straw.  I can deal with no straw for coffee, tea, iced beverages.  It does sometimes concern me that the glass may not be clean, but what difference does it make if you use a straw if the glass is dirty?  Aren't you ingesting germs along with the drink?  Yes, the rim of the glass may be the dirtiest, but what about any saliva that goes back into the glass?  Wouldn't that make the entire glass germy?  I'm asking this as a serious question, as I honestly don't know the answer.  Maybe I should count myself lucky to be alive.  I guess all the drinking from the water hose as a kid built up my immunity.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dmdiver said:

I like straws for my drinks, especially frozen ones - those are difficult to drink without a straw.  I can deal with no straw for coffee, tea, iced beverages.  It does sometimes concern me that the glass may not be clean, but what difference does it make if you use a straw if the glass is dirty?  Aren't you ingesting germs along with the drink?  Yes, the rim of the glass may be the dirtiest, but what about any saliva that goes back into the glass?  Wouldn't that make the entire glass germy?  I'm asking this as a serious question, as I honestly don't know the answer.  Maybe I should count myself lucky to be alive.  I guess all the drinking from the water hose as a kid built up my immunity.

I think you are being overly paranoid. Dishwashers run through 3 cycles, the last being sanitize. 

1 hour ago, Rv6flyer said:

So why no one goes to clean it tells me it is not that bad. You would think enviromentalist would have this under control.

Thank you Donald, perfect, with the misspelling. 

• Like 1

On 11/10/2019 at 7:25 AM, mynupasttime said:

They are now using spaghetti noodles for the olive picks.  Just came off Magic. 

Please tell me you’re kidding. I don’t drink anything with olives, but that sounds really weird. 

As for straws, I like to dump my frozen drinks into my Terri’s tumbler anyway and that has a straw. I’m bringing straws on my next cruise. I just have to decide which kind.

30 minutes ago, momof3cruisers said:

Please tell me you’re kidding. I don’t drink anything with olives, but that sounds really weird.

Why would using spaghetti noodles as olive picks be weird?  It doesn't get more biodegradable than spaghetti noodle.  It's better than plastic for sure.  Although, I suppose wooden toothpicks would work just as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, momof3cruisers said:

As for straws, I like to dump my frozen drinks into my Terri’s tumbler anyway and that has a straw. I’m bringing straws on my next cruise. I just have to decide which kind.

Well, I can say that I do not intend to bring any reusable straws that I have to carry around all sticky until I can clean them I will continue to bring disposable plastic straws. Yes, I care about the environment, but this is going to far. 

• Like 3

I really liked the sugar straws with the frozen fruity drinks I got. It got a lil soft on the top but just bite it down some as you're drinking it. I dunno if it was flavored, just sweet. I like sweet things tho 🙂 I did actually have to request this straw at most bars as they primarily gave the regular straws. If I recall I think just at dinner we had to wave down a server for a straw as they just didn't give any.

5 hours ago, grandmarnnurse said:

Well, I can say that I do not intend to bring any reusable straws that I have to carry around all sticky until I can clean them I will continue to bring disposable plastic straws. Yes, I care about the environment, but this is going to far. 

But you are willing to carry around a plastic bag full of non reusable ones when all you need to do is a quick rinse. One reusable straw, including bringing the wash brush and carry bag takes up less space, possibly a few ounces more in weight.

If I really want a straw, I will go this far. It's the least **I** can do for our planet.

So what do you do with the re-usable straw if you are having a drink in the hot tub?  Stick it in your top, which is now in the hot tub with other people?  If it clips to a lanyard, that would be either on your neck in the hot tub water or laying on the deck of the hot tub next to you.