Cruise Ship Smell

Does anybody know of anything that smells like cruise ship? I know it may seem kinda weird but cruise ships just have that certain smell (not the carnival or msc nasty smell). Something like the NCL escape haven smell or RCL ship smell. I just want my house to smell like cruise.

• Like 2

Haven't sailed on those ships (yet) and haven't sailed in the Haven, but there are LOTS of air fresheners that have scents like "Ocean Breeze" or "Tropical Island". I'm thinking of the kind you plug in an outlet and adjust the strength of the scent... Air Wick Essential Oils, that one is. Their website lists:

VIRGIN ISLANDS TROPICAL PLUMERIA & SWEET HONEYSUCKLE® 
AMERICAN SAMOA OFU ISLAND
LIFE SCENTS® PARADISE RETREAT
LIFE SCENTS® TURQUOISE OASIS
LIFE SCENTS® SEASIDE ESCAPE
Target has refills in 
Pure Beach Escapes Miami Beach Hibiscus
Pure Beach Escapes Florida Keys Coconut Water
Pure Beach Escapes Maui Sweet Mango
Pure Beach Escapes Malibu Cucumber Melon
Hawaii
Paradise Retreat

OTOH, the ship itself probably just smells like cleaning products...

3 hours ago, mom says said:

I'm guessing you aren't referring to the smell in your cabin when the bathroom drain dries out...

OR.... Perhaps OP is talking about the ever-plaguing "sweet boat" smell on many marine vessels, which is usually related to even a slight accumulation of mold and/or mildew in the absence of adequate ventilation.

I get what the OP is saying, I always figured it was the cleaning products. Of course if you get in the vicinity of the spaw, that takes on a whole different smell.
Funny you point out that Carnival (have not sailed on MSC) has a nasty smell. Having sailed Celebrity again after many years, I felt the "smell" was more the same than different.

Oh well any who, good luck in your search OP.

I notice a floral scent when I step inside a ship, and presume it's some kind of air freshener

I used to take the 36 hour ferry crossing from the UK to Sweden, where dill pickle seemed to be on many menus; as soon as I stepped off the gangway on to a Tor ferry, I could smell dill.

The smell of Spain to me is a particular chlorine one, which is probably in the water. I've always smelled it arriving at any airport in Spain, and I can smell it in one of their famous beers.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, dogs4fun said:

I haven't noticed any particular smell that would, imho, qualify as a cruise ship smell. Guess I'm not sure to what the OP is referring.

Agree - and whatever aroma that may be that they are referring to would be a first for me to have someone want that in their home....

21 hours ago, 4 8 15 16 23 42 said:

Does anybody know of anything that smells like cruise ship? I know it may seem kinda weird but cruise ships just have that certain smell (not the carnival or msc nasty smell). Something like the NCL escape haven smell or RCL ship smell. I just want my house to smell like cruise.

Funny, I was in a restaurant a week ago actually thinking "this place smells like a cruise ship", only then realizing that cruise ships (in my case 2 times HAL and 2 times X) do have a certain smell. And tbh it's not really a nice one. My guess is that it's the buffet that causes it.

• Haha 1

Yes, my mother and I discuss this often. You are not crazy. For those who say the ship doesnt smell, you need to pay attention as you first walk on. It is a combo of their cleaning supplies, chlorine, and salt air. Occasionally I will smell it elsewhere. It calms me because it reminds me of vacation.

• Thanks 1

It just might be the shampoo/conditioner/lotion or soaps they use on board.   When we were first cruising we loved the body lotion provided by Celebrity ships.  We brought some home just so we could enjoy the lovely aroma and the memories it conjured up for us.  I think if I had the chance to catch a whiff today, it would take me right back to a lovely caribbean  memory.  

If memory serves, I felt it was more a band aid smell. That is why I lean more to cleaning products.

Years ago when we started traveling to Jamaica, we had to take our carry on luggage off the plane by going down the steps on to the tarmac. As soon as they opened up the plane door, you can imagine what aroma hit you. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Last week I smelled "the smell" as soon as we got into the boarding bridge at the embarkation port. It's not unpleasant to me and it's unique. After a day or two it fades in your senses. We reboard on Friday so I'll be trying to classify it - it doesn't seem like a cleaning products although it's obvious why it might be.