Straws?

JayDeeJay

On 6/12/2019 at 7:55 AM, Butterbean1000 said:

With all the discussion regarding straws it got me wondering.  Do you use straws for all drinking?  I only use straws for frozen beverages.  I much rather drink directly from the glass.  Maybe it was just the way we were raised.  My mother would turn in her grave if she saw us drink iced tea through a straw, LOL.  Not judging,  just curious. 

I use straws for all drinks with ice-including iced tea and iced coffee because my teeth are sensitive to cold.

6 hours ago, lele100 said:

I use straws all the time when I am in a public place Sorry but it just grosses me out putting my lips on the same glass that hundreds have.  I have been to restaurants where you can still see lipstick marks on who ever used that glass previously.  

So what do you do in regards using metal flatware in restaurants?  Glassware in a restaurant has a breakage rate that is higher than the lost rate of flat ware.  So the flat ware has many more lips touching them than any glass ware over their life span.

Also keep mind depending on the restaurant, most of the glasses go through the same dishwashers that the flatware, plates, ceramic cups (think coffee cups etc).  These dishwashers are not your run a mill household dishwashers.  They are high heat and uses industrial grade detergents/sanitizers.  

Testing the dishwashers in a land base restaurant or a cruise based restaurant is a go to place for health inspectors.  They test for correct operation (and observe use), test that water is at the correct temperature, and the detergent and sanitizer is being automatically dispensed at the correct ratio.

In regards to the lipstick.  Unfortunately, lipstick is a waxy substance so is thus is "sticky".  I eat out and/or go out for a drink several times a week.  I may average a lipstick glass once every couple of years.  Once I notice it, I will ask for a fresh glass.