Bottled Water-Alaska Land Portion Before Cruise

sunluva7

My friend is allergic to certain chemicals in water, doesn't drink tap water, and is sensitive to certain brands of bottled water but wants to bring her own. I know it's okay to carry a case of your own water on board, but what about carrying water on the tour portion from Anchorage? It doesn't seem feasible to carry an entire case on a bus or train. Does anyone know what brands they sell in Anchorage and at the lodges? Has anyone been successful in buying a case of water in Whittier before boarding the ship?

Last time we where in Whittier there was no store there to buy water...a hotel and very few little small stores.  We are the same way with water...I don't know her land tour details but ours include 1 night in Anchorage and 2 in McKinley and 2 in Denali.  In Anchorage there are plenty of stores within walking distance and she can buy a case and tag it with meet me at the ship tag and it will meet her there.  she can also buy one and tag it follow me or meet me at lodge...cant remember what it says...but you are only allowed 1 bag per person so that would be her one bag and need to put her clothes in say your bag.  Or she can buy several loose bottles to carry in her carry on bag to the lodges.  I know McKinley lodge is isolated not much around and Denali has a strip mall of sorts across from it and a liquor type small grocery store on it...we plan on trying to hit that up and see what they have to offer.  I am not sure what brands of water they offer, when I get home I can check my memory book of our last time there and see if I kept a bottle tag from one.  We like to try to do that as we too are picky about water... there are just some brands that taste a bit more...mmmm..earthy aftertaste than others do. We are partial to a brand and have found its sister brands in our most recent travels, but been awhile since being in Alaska. Let me know if you would like me to see if I kept anything about the water.

Several places to buy things such as water across the street from Denali lodge. We were just there and were surprised how many places there are compared to the last time we were there. Shouldn't be a problem.

8 hours ago, Thrak said:

Several places to buy things such as water across the street from Denali lodge. We were just there and were surprised how many places there are compared to the last time we were there. Shouldn't be a problem.

Do you happen to recall any of the the brands? Also were they loose bottles or case.  On Google I was looking at the little store that had some pics of the inside but none showing the water.

3 hours ago, cruzrbachoua said:

Do you happen to recall any of the the brands? Also were they loose bottles or case.  On Google I was looking at the little store that had some pics of the inside but none showing the water.

I have no idea what brand they had or how they were sold. Probably individual bottles but we don't buy bottled water so don't pay attention to that sort of thing. There were actually 2 or 3 places where I would assume you could get bottled water. My wife prefers to just refill her re-usable metal bottle.

I too have this same situation, although not as picky about brand.  We fly to Fairbanks for a six day land tour.  Anyone know how much a bottle of water costs?  If we bought reusable bottles... what is their tap water like?

On 6/19/2019 at 12:56 PM, dickinson said:

I too have this same situation, although not as picky about brand.  We fly to Fairbanks for a six day land tour.  Anyone know how much a bottle of water costs?  If we bought reusable bottles... what is their tap water like?

Tap water in Alaska is as good as tap water in other parts of the USA. Tap water from the Princess lodges should be fine unless you have specific problems with tap water.

4 hours ago, caribill said:

Tap water in Alaska is as good as tap water in other parts of the USA. Tap water from the Princess lodges should be fine unless you have specific problems with tap water.

Caribill - Thanks!