Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
Georgia_Peaches

Can You Take a Water Taxi to Maya Key Without Doing and Excursion?

Roatan is a stop on out upcoming NCL cruise.  I've been looking at things to do on this island as we have never stopped here before.  Maya Key looks interesting but will probably not hold our attention for the 4 hour excursion and we aren't really interested in the lunch that's included in the $79 pp excursion charge.  Was just wondering if it's possible to take a water taxi to Maya Key, look around for a bit, and then head back to the boat without booking the 4 hour excursion.

9 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Roatan is a stop on out upcoming NCL cruise.  I've been looking at things to do on this island as we have never stopped here before.  Maya Key looks interesting but will probably not hold our attention for the 4 hour excursion and we aren't really interested in the lunch that's included in the $79 pp excursion charge.  Was just wondering if it's possible to take a water taxi to Maya Key, look around for a bit, and then head back to the boat without booking the 4 hour excursion.

The only way to do Maya Key for several  years has been the excursion through the ship.

There are generally options as to when to leave - it is not a fixed length. Although it seems expensive it is a very convenient excursion from Coxen Hole.

If there are only two in your party a private driver to anywhere else on the island  will be $40pp plus entrance fees. Of course if you are a bigger group pricing is not as attractive.

depends what activities you are interested in but between, walking the island, lunch, snorkeling and the pool we have never had a problem filling the time but it has been a while since our last visit so hopefully you will get some more recent reviews.  

Posted (edited)

Thank you for the info.  I think we are leaning toward just doing the excursion since the time frame appears to be less fixed than I first imagined.

Edited by Georgia_Peaches

We'll be on Harmony of the Seas this Nov and will be going to Roatan.  I just booked the Maya Key excursion through Royal for $54.99 per person.  It was on sale and I think that's a good price for what we'll get.  It's labeled as 5 hours which I think will go pretty fast.    The excursion starts at 750 am and includes lunch.

On 6/12/2019 at 6:53 PM, BND said:

It's labeled as 5 hours which I think will go pretty fast.    The excursion starts at 750 am and includes lunch.

I think when they list these excursions, they have to fill in a time in order for it to post on the website, but they have always had the boats running back and forth during the day and even though it's been awhile since we've been, we stayed MUCH longer than the allotted time frame that was listed. We were there until the end. 

They have the replica mayan ruins to see, the animals, awesome snorkeling, lunch, beach and even a pool. Plenty to do there and a great way to spend the day on your own time frame. 🙂

I definitely thought it was worth the cost.  My wife is a pool girl so she loved sitting there reading.  The snorkeling from the end of the long pier is very good and for beginners there were attendants in the water keeping an eye on everyone.  If you’re not a beginner swim out to the edge of the reef where it drops off to just the most amazing deep blue ever.  The food was surprisingly good and you can leave just about anytime you want.  

If you like to snorkel, Maya Key is great. We stayed out there all day. The Beach and lunch aren't amazing, but good enough. The taxi runs back and forth all day, you can even go back to the port and then back to the Key if you want.

Unfortunately, I can not recall the beach or resort name but we took a taxi to a place that was amazing in Roatan off an NCL cruise. It seems like it was Moon something. There was even a submarine.  There was awesome snorkeling and a restaurant.