Cruise Critic Community
mjthecruiser

Transportation from Antwerp to central Brussels

We will be staying in Brussels for four days after our Amsterdam to Antwerp cruise. Can someone tell me the best way to travel there from the cruise port? We will each have a medium sized suitcase and a small carryon.

rome2rio.com will show you all the options (train, bus, taxi, rental car)

2 hours ago, mjthecruiser said:

We will be staying in Brussels for four days after our Amsterdam to Antwerp cruise. Can someone tell me the best way to travel there from the cruise port? We will each have a medium sized suitcase and a small carryon.

I did this in the other direction in 2010. After travelling by train from Frankfurt airport, kicked onto buses in Cologne to Brussels Midi (the Icelandic volcano was messing up travel), I took the train to Antwerp, and got a cab to take me to the ship. I use a mid-size suitcase, but my carryon is always a backpack, which leaves me a free hand. 

Posted (edited)

Trains leave frequently from Antwerp's Centraal Station to Brussels (Bruxelles). The journey should be less than 10E one-way and should take 40-50 minutes depending on the train, number of stops, etc.

The station in Antwerp is about 20 minutes walk from the cruise port. We docked here last September on a Silversea cruise and we walked to the station to go to Bruges on our own. It is a level walk without any obstacles but you may not wish to drag a suitcase that far; up to you. I'm sure the ship could arrange a cab to the station if you want.

If you have a smart phone and a data connection you can purchase tickets using the SNCB app and they can be displayed on your phone. I assume there are ticket windows and machines in the station but we didn't have to bother with that. I bought my tickets from the top deck of Silver Wind as we were tying up to the pier. You could probably buy them on-line in advance and print them at home (sncb.be, or belgiantrain.be/en)

Note - the train tickets in Belgium are not specific to one particular train or time, so you just buy tickets from Antwerp to Brussels. Then go to the station, hop on the next train going where you want to go, and that's that. That was really handy for us because we didn't know how long we'd spend in Bruges, and which train we wanted to take back. So we could still buy a round-trip ticket yet we weren't tied to a schedule.

PS where are you staying in Brussels? We spent a few days there last year at the Hotel Amigo (a Rocco Forte hotel) and we really liked the place and the convenient location. Just 2-3 blocks from the central station, so an easy walk and transfer to/from the airport.

Edited by jpalbny

1 hour ago, jpalbny said:

Trains leave frequently from Antwerp's Centraal Station to Brussels (Bruxelles). The journey should be less than 10E one-way and should take 40-50 minutes depending on the train, number of stops, etc.

The station in Antwerp is about 20 minutes walk from the cruise port. We docked here last September on a Silversea cruise and we walked to the station to go to Bruges on our own. It is a level walk without any obstacles but you may not wish to drag a suitcase that far; up to you. I'm sure the ship could arrange a cab to the station if you want.

If you have a smart phone and a data connection you can purchase tickets using the SNCB app and they can be displayed on your phone. I assume there are ticket windows and machines in the station but we didn't have to bother with that. I bought my tickets from the top deck of Silver Wind as we were tying up to the pier. You could probably buy them on-line in advance and print them at home (sncb.be, or belgiantrain.be/en)

Note - the train tickets in Belgium are not specific to one particular train or time, so you just buy tickets from Antwerp to Brussels. Then go to the station, hop on the next train going where you want to go, and that's that. That was really handy for us because we didn't know how long we'd spend in Bruges, and which train we wanted to take back. So we could still buy a round-trip ticket yet we weren't tied to a schedule.

PS where are you staying in Brussels? We spent a few days there last year at the Hotel Amigo (a Rocco Forte hotel) and we really liked the place and the convenient location. Just 2-3 blocks from the central station, so an easy walk and transfer to/from the airport.

Just note there is more than one “central” station in Brussels, you want Bruxelles-Midi. 

Not for Hotel Amigo. That would be a long walk from Bruxelles-Midi, but it was very close to Bruxelles-Central. OP may want Midi, depending on their destination. Most trains from Antwerp stop at both.

We are staying at the Marriott Grand Place which is not far from Bruxelles Centrale. I think we will take the train. We are also planning to take train for day trips.

I don't remember the specifics of our particular train in Belgium because we weren't carrying luggage. But most European trains have room for luggage either in racks near the doors, or over the seats (will fit a rollaboard but not a full-sized suitcase). Also, they have areas where the seats are set up back-to-back and you can usually slip a bag in between the seats there. Sometimes you can fit them under your seat but not always.

We did take the train from Bruxelles-Central to the Airport, and I don't remember any issues storing luggage there. We only had a rollaboard then.

For a 40-minute trip I ordinarily wouldn't bother with first class - we didn't  when we went to Bruges and it was fine. 

But you may want to consider it, IF you are worried about luggage. There is usually more room in that car for bags, and fewer people to squeeze around while carrying said bags. Also, it will likely be a 2-1 seat configuration rather than 2-2 so more room overall. I doubt it will be very expensive considering how cheap the 2nd class ticket is. And a first-class ticket often includes a free seat reservation which you may find helpful. Play around on the SNCB website and see what the differences are.