Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
Tatka

Do ellipticals in gym on Summit have TVs

Recommended Posts

Hi,

 

I am trying to exercise every morning using ellipticals. I do it for approximately 70-80 minutes and I need to watch/listen to something in order to not get extremely bored.

 I am trying to make a decision if I should buy streaming internet package (which is somewhat expensive on Celebrity) to use in Gym or if ellipticals have TVs and in this case I can live without wifi or at least buy only surf package.

 

I would really appreciate your help.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The ellipticals on the S class ships definitely have TVs.  I believe they also do on the M class ships.

 

I like to listen to Podcasts while working out.  I just download a whole bunch of them before the trip, and I am good to go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you very much @CruiseChuck I will try to download something too, but I am very happy to hear about TVs being available.

Edited by Tatka

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FYI ... Machine usage is limited to 20 or 30 minutes (depending on ship) to give everyone a chance to use.  If there are people waiting, this is enforced.  If the gym is fairly empty, then you will not be bothered.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, JerseyGirlatHeart said:

FYI ... Machine usage is limited to 20 or 30 minutes (depending on ship) to give everyone a chance to use.  If there are people waiting, this is enforced.  If the gym is fairly empty, then you will not be bothered.

Just came off the Summit last month. I went mostly in the afternoons and it was a ghost town (5 people tops). I went in the morning once and it was more crowded but not packed. You could easily have an 80 minute session on the elliptical and not be bothered. Not sure on the TVs on the elliptical though- I used the treadmill (TVs) and the one sad rower in the corner (pro tip - bring gloves for that machine! I use a rower 4-5x a week at home, and the Celebrity rower gave me wicked blisters after day 2!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do 60 minutes, but if it is busy I change machines. Be sure and bring your ear buds or head phones to plug in and listen to the TV. However, TV service on the ship is sometimes spotty. Hubby take a small MP3 player for his listening pleasure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My husband said the treadmills also have tv's.  He didn't use one but said it was there.  And he also said if there were 3 other people in the gym at the same time as him it was a crowd.  🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have been on some cruises where the gym is busy, and some when it usually is not.  The afternoon generally seems to be less busy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, psuboater said:

Just came off the Summit last month. I went mostly in the afternoons and it was a ghost town (5 people tops). I went in the morning once and it was more crowded but not packed. You could easily have an 80 minute session on the elliptical and not be bothered. Not sure on the TVs on the elliptical though- I used the treadmill (TVs) and the one sad rower in the corner (pro tip - bring gloves for that machine! I use a rower 4-5x a week at home, and the Celebrity rower gave me wicked blisters after day 2!)

 

Thanks for the tip.  We'll be on the Summit in September, and my wife works out on a Concept 2.  She's generally found the rowers on cruise ships to be poorly maintained (actually, not maintained at all).   Chain never oiled, slide never cleaned, stuff like that.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/12/2019 at 3:41 PM, CPCruiser4Life said:

How the heck are you on an elliptical for 80 minutes?!?!?! At what level? That's insane!

 

I used to do this for 90 minutes daily and 2 hours on weekend.

 

 Level depends on machine. At my home I have 22 levels of resistance  and do 10 and 12 intervals (10 minutes each) (I also have 20 levels of incline and go from 10 to 20)

 Ships ellipticals are various. From what I remember on Silhouette it was Lifefitness and I did 12-14

 

I am not very "sporty" so I rather do longer time with less intensity (to stay in shape).

Edited by Tatka

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/12/2019 at 11:11 PM, Floater4life said:

You can actually look out on a blue ocean instead of a TV 

 

Thank you. I had to do it once (we cruise 5 times a year lately) and it was extremely boring so now I make sure I have TV or wifi.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/12/2019 at 4:11 PM, JerseyGirlatHeart said:

FYI ... Machine usage is limited to 20 or 30 minutes (depending on ship) to give everyone a chance to use.  If there are people waiting, this is enforced.  If the gym is fairly empty, then you will not be bothered.

 

I cruise a lot so I have an idea. At 6 am it is not very crowded. Maybe several more people.

I would go even earlier and on some other cruise line ships I do, but on Celebrity gym is open from 6AM.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/12/2019 at 10:17 PM, Turtles06 said:

 

Thanks for the tip.  We'll be on the Summit in September, and my wife works out on a Concept 2.  She's generally found the rowers on cruise ships to be poorly maintained (actually, not maintained at all).   Chain never oiled, slide never cleaned, stuff like that.  

Yikes! Thanks for this info. I'm spoiled to a water rower, so I'll be skipping that on the ship!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Yikes! Thanks for this info. I'm spoiled to a water rower, so I'll be skipping that on the ship!

Orange Theory? 🙂 Yes, that's where I'm spoiled on the water rower -- and because the seas were rough out of New York, the rower was safer than the treadmill. Not to my poor hands - I got the worst blisters ever from rowing! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, psuboater said:

Orange Theory? 🙂 Yes, that's where I'm spoiled on the water rower -- and because the seas were rough out of New York, the rower was safer than the treadmill. Not to my poor hands - I got the worst blisters ever from rowing! 

 

Yup! Parks Slope studio. 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...