Tour cancelled 2 days before sailing. Outrageous.

ak1004

4 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

And as to being informed, did you book directly with Celebrity or through an Agent? Celebrity doesn’t communicate directly with us unless we booked Directly With Them. 

The cruise was booked through an Agent. The tours were booked directly through website. And no, the agent didn't get any notice either.

So my complaint is not only about the cancellation, but also about the lack of communication. 

6 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

We sailed on Oceania, Azamara, Princess, Cunard, Holland, RCI, Costa and Carnival. 12 cruises in total. Never happened. On Oceania and Azamara, some of the buses were half empty. Maybe 20-25 people. The tours still happened.

I’ve been on Viking, RCL, Carnival, Princess, Cruise West, Crystal, Cunard And Celebrity for 40+ cruises and Never happened and busses have been half full. So What? You Dont Know Why. And Nobody believes that Oceania tours are priced that much different. You keep adding ‘poor me’s’ until it gets silly. And the busses with ‘maybe 20-25 people’ probably had a minimum requirement of.....20! Again, silly. 

Den

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Orator said:

OP: What was the tour?

It was a guided tour of the Louvre. Since a long ride is involved, we were hesitant to take a private tour, and it's obviously too late to do it now. I have been in the Louvre, but we are travelling with our daughter, and she has been dreaming visiting the Louvre for years.

2 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

And the busses with ‘maybe 20-25 people’ probably had a minimum requirement of.....20! Again, silly. 

Den

Yes, probably. And I guess this is one of the differences between Celebrity and Oceania.

The ship usually offers a Paris on Your Own Tour. Could you take this and go to the Louvre?

We really don't know why the tour was cancelled only guessing that it failed to meet the minimum number, but there are other reasons a tour might be cancelled.

1 minute ago, Orator said:

The ship usually offers a Paris on Your Own Tour. Could you take this and go to the Louvre?

We really don't know why the tour was cancelled only guessing that it failed to meet the minimum number, but there are other reasons a tour might be cancelled.

This is an option we are currently considering.

However, when you go on a guided tour, they usually skip the lines, while independently, we could easily spend 2+ hours in lines.

ak1004 ....This can't be a serious complaint?  Almost anyone that has cruised has had tours cancelled for various reasons.  I assure you.  We've had tours cancelled the DAY OF the tour.  You do not know the circumstances that led to this so anyone stating that it is because the minimum number was not met is purely speculating. 

3 minutes ago, Orator said:

And go on line for the Louvre and get tickets prior for entry at a set time. Did that a year ago and no lines. See, there are ways of actually doing this. 

Den

4 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

This is an option we are currently considering.

However, when you go on a guided tour, they usually skip the lines, while independently, we could easily spend 2+ hours in lines.

You can go on line and get tickets in advance. The Louvre might be a walking distance or at worse a short metro ride from where they leave you off.  They will have the Paris on Your Own tour when you board the ship.Problem solved and you will save $$$.

Edited by Orator

38 minutes ago, AmberCascades said:

Most tour companies have a minimum requirement and say that it could be cancelled if the minimum isn't reached.  Sometimes they give the option of everyone paying more to make up the difference.  Would that have been a preferable option?

That's how it works ,.. Excursions pvt and booked  via X can be cancelled for various reasons..very disappointing  esp on short notice but it happens.   

Very  upsetting when it is for a bucket list item.

I'd get the online tix as suggested asap, and if you can't get the X "on your own tour",  hire a limo co to insure you get there early and back in time....will be worth it for a special day for your dtr.

OP  seems to have recurring bad karma with X...

Edited by hcat
  • Like 1

Your tour being cancelled is disappointing but not outrageous. I am sure they have a good reason you think they want to refund everyone for tours they arranged of course not. What is their only one tour being offered surely they have others for you to pick from? You can go online and book a private tour in a hours time, or wait and catch a tour at the port this is not the end of the world. I have had ports cancelled and tours cancelled before once we were on the tour bus waiting to go and it was all of a sudden cancelled by the third party vendor they use. A Celebrity rep came on the bus and offered us a full refund or to give him 30 minutes to arrange something else for us to do. Half the group got off the bus we stayed and did one of our best every tours!

I have cancelled tours myself and received full refund stuff happens lots of us make reservations and change our mind. I mostly do private tours, not because of the price but for a very small group size 4-8 persons costs more but we get to see more of what we want to see. Been cruising for years and feel Celebrity is the best deal out there for the money we spend. Never been on a bad cruise yet... Loved them all!!

• Like 2

Guess which cruise line's ticket contract this language comes from?

Shore Excursions and Other Transportation, Services and Facilities: 

...Carrier does not undertake to supervise or control such independent contractors or their employees, conveyances or facilities, and accepts no liability for any loss, delay, damage, injury, death, misrepresentation or disappointment whatsoever resulting therefrom.

...If the entire Cruise or CruiseTour is canceled by Us for any reason, Guests shall have no claim other than for a full refund of the Cruise Fare or the CruiseTour Fare, whichever is applicable. 

16 minutes ago, Orator said:

You can go on line and get tickets in advance. The Louvre might be a walking distance or at worse a short metro ride from where they leave you off.  They will have the Paris on Your Own tour when you board the ship.Problem solved and you will save $$$.

Thank you for the advice. This is probably what we'll do.

Here is what Celebrity's terms and conditions say, in plain English:

Excursions are subject to cancellation or modification, depending on the number of guests participating. In the event of a tour cancellation or modification, advance notice will be given by shipboard personnel. Certain tours have a minimum booking requirement, or must be limited to a maximum number of participants.

Hopefully the OP is now on line seeing if they can get on the On Your Own tour (did it for a few ports, but not LaHavre-Paris) and then tickets to the Louvre that match up instead of going back and forth here. 

Interesting that if the OP had started with what the problem was instead of the ‘poor me - how terrible Celebrity is’ and just stated the issue and many could have responded with assistance instead of all this back and forth......that I joined in on too!!

Good luck getting your daughter to the Louvre - if not, try the D’Orsay which I liked better with all the Impressionists, or one your probably dont need tickets - the de l’Orangerie with Monet’s huge Water Lily paintings - my favorite! they are all near each other.

Den

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ak1004 said:

Thank you for the advice. This is probably what we'll do.

Just a word of advice from an old man. Problems do happen and it's how you handle them that can make a difference in your mental health. At one time I would ran around acting angry and frustrated. Now I tend to be very calm and always address the problem by saying to the person who is handling it: "What can we do"? Or,  a flight cancelation I usually say to the person: "I understand you're having a frustrating day". You'll be amazed what you can get by understanding the problems created for the agent. 

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

Hopefully the OP is now on line seeing if they can get on the On Your Own tour (did it for a few ports, but not LaHavre-Paris) and then tickets to the Louvre that match up instead of going back and forth here. 

Interesting that if the OP had started with what the problem was instead of the ‘poor me - how terrible Celebrity is’ and just stated the issue and many could have responded with assistance instead of all this back and forth......that I joined in on too!!

Good luck getting your daughter to the Louvre - if not, try the D’Orsay which I liked better with all the Impressionists, or one your probably dont need tickets - the de l’Orangerie with Monet’s huge Water Lily paintings - my favorite! they are all near each other.

Den

I love D"Orsay and recommend a visit. Wonderful restaurant behind the clock, at least it was there when we visited several years ago. I'm doing a Berlin On Your Own in a few weeks. You are less rushed at the sites and save $$ over other ship sponsored tours

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Orator said:

Just a word of advice from an old man. Problems do happen and it's how you handle them that can make a difference in your mental health. At one time I would ran around acting angry and frustrated. Now I tend to be very calm and always address the problem by saying to the person who is handling it: "What can we do"? Or,  a flight cancelation I usually say to the person: "I understand you're having a frustrating day". You'll be amazed what you can get by understanding the problems created for the agent. 

From one old man to another..... Well said!👍

1 hour ago, ak1004 said:

Amusing to see all the responses from Celebrity fanboys. Obviously Celebrity can do nothing wrong. EVER.

Missing ports is completely different. It is usually due to weather conditions that cannot be controlled, and passengers safety is put first. Which I completely understand and support.

In this case, I suspect the real reason was they did not meet the minimum number of participants. Which might be legal - still doesn't make it right. They charge outrageous prices for those tours (much higher than Oceania for example), so making slightly less on one single tour shouldn't be a big deal. 

What is even more outrageous is the way it was done - 2 days before the cruise sail, and without even sending a simple notice. 

Just wondering, if you feel they charge outrageous prices for their tours, why would you pay them for something you could do on your own with alittle research and cheaper?

i have never paid a cruise line for a tour, but have done the same exact thing they most times charge 3xs more for.

Do yourself a favor next time and look around for private tours and excursions. There is tons of information right here on the cruise critic ports of call boards and in a google search. Save yourself some money!

OK then, maybe Celebrity should continue the tour and increase your price to off set the missing number of passengers required for the excursion to happen.  What say you then??  You still get to go!! Would that make you happy??  Time to move on to more important things in life....like ENJOYING the fact that you are on vacation

Just now, CruisersTimesThree said:

Just wondering, if you feel they charge outrageous prices for their tours, why would you pay them for something you could do on your own with alittle research and cheaper?

i have never paid a cruise line for a tour, but have done the same exact thing they most times charge 3xs more for.

Do yourself a favor next time and look around for private tours and excursions. There is tons of information right here on the cruise critic ports of call boards and in a google search. Save yourself some money!

We do many times. But this upcoming cruise has some ports with long drive times, so don't want risking missing the ship due to potential traffic, strikes etc.

1 minute ago, ak1004 said:

We do many times. But this upcoming cruise has some ports with long drive times, so don't want risking missing the ship due to potential traffic, strikes etc.

Agree especially with the LeHavre-Paris trip. That can be tricky, and the cost of the On Your Own is pretty close to what a train ticket would cost, and you have the security of the ship tour. We did the On Your Own for Florence and it was just great. 

Please let us know if you are able to get the On Your Own and Louvre or other museum tickets. You may like that more sine the OYO tour doesn’t make the mandatory shopping stop - just a quick BR stop on the way up and back! 

Den

43 minutes ago, CulverCityCruisers said:

OK then, maybe Celebrity should continue the tour and increase your price to off set the missing number of passengers required for the excursion to happen.  What say you then??  You still get to go!! Would that make you happy??  Time to move on to more important things in life....like ENJOYING the fact that you are on vacation

No they should continue the tour at the same price and keep their customers happy. They make more than enough money on those tours, and if from time to time they make a bit less, nothing would happen. By cancelling, they might save few bucks, but it always backfires in the long term.