Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
hockeyluver

West Palm Beach airport to Hollywood beach

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

We are cruising Superbowl weekend out of Fort Lauderdale.  Found some crazy cheap flights into pbi,  Flights to FLL and MIA  were insane!!! Now im  trying to figure out how to get from the airport to our hotel.  Not to familiar with UBER  but is that an option ?  Or renting a car ? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you 

Edited by hockeyluver

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rent the car - it is about a 75-90+ minute drive depending upon the day of the week and traffic.  You could ride the Tri-Rail train from PBI to FLL and then taxi or Uber to your hotel, and the new Brightline train is an option to explore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Uber would be $75 if it's only 2 of you. More if you need a larger vehicle. Tri Rail much cheaper but will take longer, then Uber from the Broward Tri rail to your hotel.  Would probably save $40-$50.

 

Not sure I would rent a car, personally. I'd probably just figure the $75 in to my budget and take an Uber. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, BNBR said:

Uber would be $75 if it's only 2 of you. More if you need a larger vehicle. Tri Rail much cheaper but will take longer, then Uber from the Broward Tri rail to your hotel.  Would probably save $40-$50.

 

Not sure I would rent a car, personally. I'd probably just figure the $75 in to my budget and take an Uber. 

It would only be the 2 of us,  we  dont have UBER where we live  so i'm not sure what the cost would be.   I think $75 would be good,   that is about what a car rental would be and then we wouldnt have to worry about getting from the car rental to the hotel. Is there some kind of web site to get an estimate?  or can I do it on the app ?   We used Uber a few cruises ago,  but that was just in and around Miami.  Thank you for the help and guidance   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, hockeyluver said:

It would only be the 2 of us,  we  dont have UBER where we live  so i'm not sure what the cost would be.   I think $75 would be good,   that is about what a car rental would be and then we wouldnt have to worry about getting from the car rental to the hotel. Is there some kind of web site to get an estimate?  or can I do it on the app ?   We used Uber a few cruises ago,  but that was just in and around Miami.  Thank you for the help and guidance   

 

Sure. UberEstimate.com

 

UberX would be perfectly fine. Just have the app on your phone and request a ride once you get your luggage. The app will even tell you where to meet your ride. Very simple to use. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Super Bowl week is crazy expensive in the South Florida area. Uber/ Lyft or a rental car is the way to go. Most likely less expensive if you stay in a hotel in the West Palm Beach area and then drive down on embarkation day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Corby114 said:

Super Bowl week is crazy expensive in the South Florida area. Uber/ Lyft or a rental car is the way to go. Most likely less expensive if you stay in a hotel in the West Palm Beach area and then drive down on embarkation day.

I booked a night pre cruise in Hollywood beach a couple months ago.  Will the price of Uber go higher ? Is Lyft the same as Uber ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lyft is the same as Uber. Surge pricing happens when they are very busy and don’t have enough coverage to provide adequate service for all of their customers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Corby114 said:

Lyft is the same as Uber. Surge pricing happens when they are very busy and don’t have enough coverage to provide adequate service for all of their customers.

  Oh ok,   lol  sorry  from a small town in Southern Ontario Canada 😄   We get in about 2:30 on the Friday   I just looked up the fare estimate  and it looks like it will be as stated earlier around $70 or so,   which would be about the same as a rental car but without all the hassles.  Thanks for all the help ~~~!!!~~~

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's extremely unlikely there would be surge pricing at the airport. The drivers wait in long lines to get Uber/Lyft fares at the airports.  No shortage. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Brightline/Virgin train is an amazing way to travel and they many times have great specials.  Sometimes you can get it for $10 per person one way. Check the offers on their website. They also are working with Lyft in Fort lauderdale and offer discounts for someone that has used the train. Info on that is in their specials/offer page.  

One of the things I really like about Brightline is you can make changes or cancel your ticket up until 2 hours before and get a full refund. 

 

I wouldn't bother renting a car unless returning it was easy and it priced out lower than train/uber or just uber. 

 

Lyft and Uber are very similar and many drivers do both.  I always check the rates to see which is less and use that.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you everyone for all your help, it is greatly appreciated.   Hubby said we will use the Uber or Lyft,  let someone else do the driving for us 😄 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has anyone used Uber from the port?  I would want to go to W Palm Beach airport.  Any issues picking up there?  Would there be surge pricing when the ship disembarks?  Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We use Uber all the time and I've only ever seen surge pricing on NYE.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the discount code BLFRIEND works right now.  You can sign up for emails at the Brightline website.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd recommend Brightline.  It's 30 minutes from West Palm to FLL and you get to experience a bit of Florida travel that is not on a highway.  Very convenient.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • 2019 Cruisers' Choice Destination Awards
      • Forum Assistance
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a 7-day Caribbean cruise for two!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...