RC Soda Package Cups

On 6/13/2019 at 3:31 PM, 90007012 said:

Hi all!

Upcoming cruise on the Harmony — just bought the soda package. Do we know which souvenir cups are currently being used? Mariner gave the new ones with the straw last month, but have heard HOTS still uses the tumbler. Can anyone give any info?

Thanks!!!

We received the new one on Anthem last week I didn't bother to use it. I would have preferred the old ones.

On 6/14/2019 at 10:08 AM, reallyitsmema said:

They are not the same type of plastic at all and are much thinner.  Not sure how sturdy they are as we opted for the older version as I didn't like the straw top, it seemed very cheap to us.  

That's how I felt about them. They reminded me of the type you get at an amusement park. I couldn't be bothered hunting down one of those machines and just ordered water and soda via a waiter or bar. The waiters on the sun deck were very plentiful. I didn't have to walk to the bar once.

On 6/14/2019 at 9:55 AM, PlanetX said:

Are they hard, thick plastic or thin plastic?  I never liked the way the old ones crack easily if dropped, but they were pretty darn sturdy and kept drinks cold.

I don't know how cold they will keep the drink. I noticed a lot of condensation on the cups that were being used outside by the pool. They do have a little handle to hold it when traveling and the straw tucks in so it doesn't have to be sticking out.

Would it keep the beverage cold enough for a shore excursion?  I am packing right now for our Sunday cruise on the Allure and am wondering if I should pack insulated mugs instead of using RC's.

Just now, Nashna said:

Would it keep the beverage cold enough for a shore excursion?  I am packing right now for our Sunday cruise on the Allure and am wondering if I should pack insulated mugs instead of using RC's.

I would

Not sure if this has been asked and answered before, how does one clean the cup between drinks? I ordered the refreshment pkg. just curious if I should leave the cup in the room unused and order directly from the bar. TIA

56 minutes ago, laxgambit said:

Not sure if this has been asked and answered before, how does one clean the cup between drinks? I ordered the refreshment pkg. just curious if I should leave the cup in the room unused and order directly from the bar. TIA

Soap and water in  your cabin sink.

I agree with those that say the new ones look like something from a theater or amusement park (or gas station!).  More importantly the accordian straw I think would not only be hard to clean but due to height, I think I would knock over to often and easily.  This last cruise, we just brought a few straws from home (in case they didn't have any) and used those in the 'old' style (with the chip).  To be honest, so far, we liked the OLDER style (probably didn't have chips) which could handle hot and cold.  Oh well.. Guess it is what it is.

Erika

4 hours ago, laxgambit said:

The sink in the stateroom is very shallow and the spout isn't very high but I guess shampoo and the sink or shower. You can always bring dish soap from home. Personally I couldn't be bothered. Most of the time you have to walk out of your way to get a drink. We never used our cups and just went to the bar and asked for what we wanted. I often read here on CC comments about how people should use a clean cup to fill a personal container to prevent the spreading of germs. This systems goes against that logic. You would be kidding yourself if you think that kids are going to clean their cups in between drinks.

Edited by Iamcruzin

4 hours ago, laxgambit said:

I bring a small amount of dish soap (I put it in a toiletry bottle). I use reusable straws at home, and so I started bringing those when Royal stared phasing out straws. They come with a brush, so even though the new cups come with a straw, I’ll still bring that. 

I know there are those that say they don’t want to do dishes on vacation, and neither do I, but I also think it’s gross to drink out of the same cup or bottle (I also bring a refillable water bottle on any trip, not just cruises). It takes me 2 minutes to wash out my stuff at night and I feel better about it. 

The sinks aren’t deep, but I put in a few drops of soap and swirl it around with water, then make sure I clean the spout or edge with my hand or even a clean washcloth. 

Edited by cft8

4 minutes ago, npb1894 said:

Doesn't the cup have a chip in it to work with the machine?  I'm wondering how those plastic ones have a chip or if they don't anymore?

They must have a chip - that's the only way the Freestyle machines work.

26 minutes ago, npb1894 said:

Doesn't the cup have a chip in it to work with the machine?  I'm wondering how those plastic ones have a chip or if they don't anymore?

They definitely have a chip in them as we saw people take clear cups to the freestyle machines and they didn't work but the new cups did.