Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
fedexretiree

Is it necessary to get vaccines for travel to Tahiti

Recommended Posts

We are going to Society Islands and Tuamotu Islands and just looked at the CDC website and they recommend Hepatitis A and Typhoid shots.  Just wondering if most people get these vaccines before going there.  I also looked up what shots are advised for the Virgin Islands and they are basically the same.  We have sailed all over the Caribbean probably 18 times now and I never even thought about getting vaccines before. I checked with my doctor and he said they don't give the shots you must go to an infectious disease doctor for these.

 Any advice would be helpful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

20 trips over 20 years …. never got a vaccine 😉

 

If you were going to some remote outer islands you might consider but for the Society and the main atolls I wouldn't worryn about it but then again I'm not a doctor 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

The CDC is overly hyper, overly vigilant when it comes to vaccine recommendations for foreign countries. They might be necessary if you were staying in the country and on land for a month. I'd *possibly* consider them, due to the possibility of contaminated food or water in that case. But on a cruise ship it's not necessary. Been visiting FP since 1983 and never had a vaccine just like the Kahuna says.

Edited by Petoonya

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, fedexretiree said:

We are going to Society Islands and Tuamotu Islands and just looked at the CDC website and they recommend Hepatitis A and Typhoid shots.  Just wondering if most people get these vaccines before going there.  I also looked up what shots are advised for the Virgin Islands and they are basically the same.  We have sailed all over the Caribbean probably 18 times now and I never even thought about getting vaccines before. I checked with my doctor and he said they don't give the shots you must go to an infectious disease doctor for these.

 Any advice would be helpful.

Fedexretiree....I think I "met" you before on another thread, perhaps a roll call? Have you sailed Oceania or Windstar in the last couple years?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/14/2019 at 8:57 AM, Petoonya said:

Fedexretiree....I think I "met" you before on another thread, perhaps a roll call? Have you sailed Oceania or Windstar in the last couple years?

Hi Petoonya....I emailed you several months ago when we first booked our cruise and you were a wealth of knowledge.  We've got some good independent tours booked. Just hope they don't cancel on us at the last minute due to not meeting their minimum of people booked.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/13/2019 at 6:51 PM, Petoonya said:

The CDC is overly hyper, overly vigilant when it comes to vaccine recommendations for foreign countries. They might be necessary if you were staying in the country and on land for a month. I'd *possibly* consider them, due to the possibility of contaminated food or water in that case. But on a cruise ship it's not necessary. Been visiting FP since 1983 and never had a vaccine just like the Kahuna says.

Thxx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/13/2019 at 5:07 PM, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

20 trips over 20 years …. never got a vaccine 😉

 

If you were going to some remote outer islands you might consider but for the Society and the main atolls I wouldn't worryn about it but then again I'm not a doctor 😉

Thxx..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a $3,000 Norwegian Cruise Line Gift Card
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...