Jump to content

Club Orange upgrade offer


Recommended Posts

On 6/16/2019 at 8:11 AM, 3rdGenCunarder said:

 

I agree that breakfast in part of the MDR instead of PG is a step down from the NS experience.

 

Not flaming you, but other than that, I don't resent the CO idea or see it as a dilution of the value of a NS.  As long as HAL doesn't sell so many Orange Passes that it makes getting a table at breakfast or dinner difficult or crowding tender priority, what's the harm? The only 4 star perks included in CO are the priority embarkation and tendering. CO doesn't give the 4 star perks of free laundry or discounts on wine packages and specialty restaurants. 

 

I must disagree.   How can a "step down from the NS experience" be anything but a "dilution of the value of a NS"?

There is no place in the MDR special enough.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 12:34 PM, BSinPNS said:

We are currently on Nieuw Statendam and enjoying Club Orange.  While the menu is the same, there is an additional item for dinner - two nights ago it was a 12oz veal chop.  Quite tasty.  We also enjoy watching the chef prepare our dinner which is served hot.  While the chairs may not fit everyone’s fancy, we are not spending a lot of time except for dinner.  

Can you get CO for $35 pp  pd on Nieuw Statendam, we are booked for Mar 2020?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎6‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 10:38 PM, ithaca gal said:

If I paid per person in my two person cabin but saw several "third and fourth" guests using the same amenities for free ...….. well, I wouldn't be a happy camper.  But that's just me.  

 

 

No, it isn't just you. People often ask here if they can bring non-NS friends into the Pinnacle breakfast, and the answer is no, they didn't pay for a NS, they can't have PG breakfast. But the 3rd and 4th passengers who didn't buy the Orange pass can go with the two who did. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

I must disagree.   How can a "step down from the NS experience" be anything but a "dilution of the value of a NS"?

There is no place in the MDR special enough.

 

I guess I wasn't clear. I said other than that, I don't have a problem with CO.

 

I do have a problem with losing the PG breakfast. I didn't like the ambiance of CO, but the freshness of the food at breakfast compensated for that IMO. On the ono-pinnacle class ships, a separate section of the MDR will not have it's own "short order" kitchen, so there will be neither the benefit of the PG ambiance nor the benefit of fresh-cooked food. So, yes, that part is a dilution o the NS value. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

 

I guess I wasn't clear. I said other than that, I don't have a problem with CO.

 

I do have a problem with losing the PG breakfast. I didn't like the ambiance of CO, but the freshness of the food at breakfast compensated for that IMO. On the ono-pinnacle class ships, a separate section of the MDR will not have it's own "short order" kitchen, so there will be neither the benefit of the PG ambiance nor the benefit of fresh-cooked food. So, yes, that part is a dilution o the NS value. 

 

Fair enough.  It's probably just me but I do not like the MDR. Just too crowded and too noisy.  Roping off a special section won't change that.  We'll eat in the Lido before we go there.  I could see us trying CO but not if it's part of the MDR. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Fair enough.  It's probably just me but I do not like the MDR. Just too crowded and too noisy.  Roping off a special section won't change that.  We'll eat in the Lido before we go there.  I could see us trying CO but not if it's part of the MDR. 

 

I don't know why, but I don't like the buffet for breakfast or dinner. For lunch it's quick and convenient, but for breakfast it's too much bustle. That's why I love the PG breakfast--it's quiet. I don't dislike the MDR as you do, but I agree that the ambiance is way below that of PG. I don't feel at all odd or elitist about breakfast in PG or CO--whether I have it or I don't. If I'm in a NS, I paid for it. But somehow being in a roped-off part of the MDR will feel awkward to me, even though it's something I paid for.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

 

I don't know why, but I don't like the buffet for breakfast or dinner. For lunch it's quick and convenient, but for breakfast it's too much bustle. That's why I love the PG breakfast--it's quiet. I don't dislike the MDR as you do, but I agree that the ambiance is way below that of PG. I don't feel at all odd or elitist about breakfast in PG or CO--whether I have it or I don't. If I'm in a NS, I paid for it. But somehow being in a roped-off part of the MDR will feel awkward to me, even though it's something I paid for.

 

 

Bolding is mine.

 

I so agree with you.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/15/2019 at 1:51 AM, kevingastreich said:

We have an aft facing veranda on Oosterdam so we didn't want the "Stateroom Upgrade" so we didn't buy the offer but here it is below so people can compare it with other ships.  At first glance the major difference looks like the "Club Orange Dining". I'll report back after the cruise.

 

INTRODUCING OUR EXCLUSIVE NEW ONBOARD PROGRAM - CLUB ORANGE
Club Orange offers an added level of luxury onboard Holland America Line ships
with priority access & exclusive amenities. Enhance your cruise with:
CLUB ORANGE PRIORITY ACCESS: Priority check-in & disembarkation, Priority lines
at Guest Services & Shore Excursions, Priority access to specialty restaurant

reservations & tenders ashore in select ports

CLUB ORANGE AMENITIES: Stateroom upgrade (restrictions apply), Welcome glass of
sparking wine, Dedicated Concierge Hotline access, Premium bathrobes, Club
Orange key card, Exclusive Club Orange tote bag (one per stateroom), Invitation

to a special onboard event chosen by the ship's cabin.

CLUB ORANGE DINING: Premium in-room dining breakfast menu, priority seating in
the Dining Room for breakfast and dinner with an expanded menu

TO PURCHASE CLUB ORANGE FOR US$25 PER PERSON PER DAY, PLEASE CALL US AT (phone number)

"priority seating in
the Dining Room for breakfast and dinner with an expanded menu." 
Sounds like for Oosterdam at least the NS guest loses the PG breakfast and gets to keep priority seating in the MDR.  Gets another entree option for dinner.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, twentyknots said:

"priority seating in
the Dining Room for breakfast and dinner with an expanded menu." 
Sounds like for Oosterdam at least the NS guest loses the PG breakfast and gets to keep priority seating in the MDR.  Gets another entree option for dinner.

Lowered expectations...

Link to post
Share on other sites

If someone paid for me to be in a Neptune Suite, I wouldn't care if I was forced to eat in the Lido for every meal... 😉    HAL isn't in business to cater to Mariners and their proclivities to feel elite from the rest of the passengers.  They are in business to make money for their shareholders,.  If they get more ROI by offering CO to the steerage passengers, that is what they'll do.  They have to entice more people to try HAL and get them to stay with HAL.    They can't exist in a vacuum of "the old days" - that's how they almost went under and survived only by being absorbed by CCL...  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just returned from Alaska (6/23 to 6/30) on the Oosterdam. I did participate in Club Orange and I loved it. It was offered to us at 25 per day per person.  The upgrade put us closer to elevators and for me being able to walk right in to the dining room without waiting in line was a benefit because I have mobility issues making standing difficult. Since this was first cruise Oosterdam had offered CO there were very few people involved. We did get spoiled. The tour was a private tour of the kitchen. We did not participate due to stairs being involved. We loved the additional menu items and tried quite a few of them. 

At this time the Oosterdam does not have a private space for CO but they do make every effort to put you at your preferred table in the dining room. Not sure if this will change when they sign more people up.

For me, I would still prefer to sail in a Neptune suite but for some this is a chance to experience some of the perks without spending so much more for the suite. I don't think this takes away from the Neptune suite experience at all. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad you enjoyed your cruise Nattiegirl.  We were on that same cruise in early June.  I was told then that CO would begin soon. 

Did you happen to notice if the Pinnacle Grill was serving breakfast?  We expect closure of the PG for breakfast to coincide with the opening of the CO but from your report it looks as if CO is not fully operational.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I just received an email offering Club Orange. Our cruise sails in 13 days. Of course, the email arrived at 5:30 and offices close at 5, so couldn't call today. 

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for an upgrade. We are in an obstructed balcony below the casino, so that would be great for us.

I probably wouldn't normally upgrade, but this is a special trip for me; my sister and I are taking my mom. We have booked anytime dining, so another dining option and some small perks will be nice 

We'll see what happens when I call tomorrow'

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I called this morning and booked the upgrade. When my sister joined our cruise and we went from 2 to 3 people in a room, we ended up with an obstructed balcony under the casino. We were upgraded to a regular (not obstructed) balcony. With my moms difficulty standing or walking for periods of time, the priority boarding is nice as well as a smaller dining room.

 

I'm hoping we enjoy the other perks!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I do think it’s worth upgrading.  I enjoyed the small dining room and very personalized service.   I believe you get priority embarkation and disembarkation as well.  Also access to a concierge line, special lines at guest relations and EXC, complimentary mimosas at breakfast and free specialty coffee.  The food is better than the MDR in my experience.    

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/2/2019 at 4:17 PM, twentyknots said:

Glad you enjoyed your cruise Nattiegirl.  We were on that same cruise in early June.  I was told then that CO would begin soon. 

Did you happen to notice if the Pinnacle Grill was serving breakfast?  We expect closure of the PG for breakfast to coincide with the opening of the CO but from your report it looks as if CO is not fully operational.

They are no longer serving breakfast in Pinnacle Grill on the Pinnacle Class ships.  They serve in the Club Orange Dining Room.   It’s the exact  same really good breakfast that was served in the Pinnacle Grill with mimosas, specialty coffees, bread basket, cooked to order meals.  The chef is right there.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/13/2019 at 9:02 PM, QuangFre said:

Hi folks,

 

I am seeking advice on whether to take up HAL ‘s offer of Club Orange upgrade, costing an extra $35 pp per day. My family of 5 is on the cruise for 13 days so that would cost $2275.

We will be on the Koningsdam next weekend btw.

This supposedly include complimentary cabin upgrade but such room may not be available though. This is my biggest concern.

Any pointer or suggestion from folks who have had direct experience with this upgrade option is much appreciated.

 

Thanks beforehand,

 

Garrick

Rather expensive!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmmmm!  I just spoke to my PCC and she said no change regarding Neptune suite breakfast being served in the pinnacle grill on pinnacle class ships. Sounds like the new location was not made known to the PCC. 

 

It it would be nice to get the whole story from HAL!

 

not doubting first hand info, just frustrated!

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, PandaBear62 said:

Well, I called this morning and booked the upgrade. When my sister joined our cruise and we went from 2 to 3 people in a room, we ended up with an obstructed balcony under the casino. We were upgraded to a regular (not obstructed) balcony. With my moms difficulty standing or walking for periods of time, the priority boarding is nice as well as a smaller dining room.

 

I'm hoping we enjoy the other perks!

 

Congratulations!  Which ship are you on?

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, GrammieK said:

Hmmmm!  I just spoke to my PCC and she said no change regarding Neptune suite breakfast being served in the pinnacle grill on pinnacle class ships. Sounds like the new location was not made known to the PCC. 

 

It it would be nice to get the whole story from HAL!

 

not doubting first hand info, just frustrated!

 

Breakfast for the NS/PS suites is only served in Club Orange on the Pinnacle class ships.  Your PCC will want to check their facts.  Human error happens.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MeandtheSea said:

They are no longer serving breakfast in Pinnacle Grill on the Pinnacle Class ships.  They serve in the Club Orange Dining Room.   It’s the exact  same really good breakfast that was served in the Pinnacle Grill with mimosas, specialty coffees, bread basket, cooked to order meals.  The chef is right there.   

My question to Nattiegirl was specific to the Oosterdam.  I realize some ships have a completed CO such as Nieuw Statendam and Koningsdam, but others seem to be more makeshift, such as described by Nattiegirl on her recent voyage.  I'm curious if Holland closed the PG for breakfast on those ships with half-baked CO.

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, twentyknots said:

My question to Nattiegirl was specific to the Oosterdam.  I realize some ships have a completed CO such as Nieuw Statendam and Koningsdam, but others seem to be more makeshift, such as described by Nattiegirl on her recent voyage.  I'm curious if Holland closed the PG for breakfast on those ships with half-baked CO.

 

 

Twenty knots, Thats my my question too!  We will be on the Nieuw Amsterdam in October and one of our favorite perks is breakfast in the Pinnacle. By PCC says no worries, club Orange is not getting the praise that HAL hoped for and may not even be in existence by then!  We will see what we will see!  Certainly not a deal breaker, just a step backward in my humble opinion. Well still have a great cruise!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Q&A with Chris Prelog, President of Windstar Cruises!
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...