Shade at Secret Sands Beach / Smith Bay Beach Park?

GUEST71919

Does anyone know if Secret Sands Beach at Smith Bay Beach Park at St. Thomas has good areas of shade from either structures or large trees (especially since the last damaging hurricane)? We all enjoy swimming, but I have had a skin cancer in the past and really need a shady place to get away from the sun’s rays in between dips! I’ve done my best to look at pictures and videos of this beach to evaluate it for myself and while it seems to have some shady spots I cannot fell for certain. Any information would be very much appreciated 🌞🏝

Note - I think in the past (and maybe still today) this was called Lindquist Beach.

Edited by 2Beeze

It is still Lindqvist Beach. A cruise line calls it that to make it seem as though it's a beach you can only get to through their excursion.

Plenty of shade from trees and covered structures.

8 hours ago, Ms411 said:

It is still Lindqvist Beach. A cruise line calls it that to make it seem as though it's a beach you can only get to through their excursion.

Plenty of shade from trees and covered structures.

I wasn’t sure that it still was called Lindqvist, but knew it had been at some point 😊 Thanks so much, I thought that was the case but it is often hard to tell whether an image is before or after the last hurricane. We are looking forward to seeing this beautiful bay in person!

Edited by 2Beeze

8 hours ago, Ms411 said:

If you're going on your own, ask taxi to take you to Lindqvist or Smith Bay Park. I don't think they would understand Secret Sands and you'd probably end up at Secret Harbor!

You are probably right about that! Often we do it ourself or go 3rd party, but this transfer isn’t a great deal more than a do-it-yourself day plus there are drinks so we may go the rccl route. I am going to look at timing issues to see if there are major time issues before deciding.  It does seem a better option for our needs as compared to other St, Thomas beaches.  I know that it will be magnificent!

how much of a hassle is it to get a cab to and from there?

Edited by 2Beeze

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/17/2019 at 11:37 AM, Ms411 said:

Very easy to get a taxi to Lindqvist, but there's no taxi stand at the beach so driver needs to come back for you, or you can flag one from the main road.

Any idea how much for a taxi from Crown Bay to Lindquist? Travel time? TIA 😃

It's actually not officially Lindqvist beach anymore. The Megans Bay park system bought it and renamed it Smith Bay Park. All the locals and some long time visitors still call it Lindqvist. You pay to get in but keep your ticket because you can use it same day at Megans. Lots of natural shade.

• 2 weeks later...

Great beach with beautiful water, but not good snorkeling.  And a word of caution, since there is much shade and trees there are also insects.  Take a generous bottle of bug spray!  My SIL was bitten many times, by mosquitos or sand fleas, whatever, but he was pretty miserable the next day.