Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
nalrudaini

Balcony rail mount?

Posted (edited)

Hello. 

I plan on mounting an osmo pocket camera on the balcony rail for timelapse in motion. What would be a good mount to use? 

Edited by nalrudaini

That will work, but it is a close fit due to the size of the rail.  I used it and mounted to the divider between our balcony and the neighbor which was a lot more stable.   Last time I gave up and used a small tripod strapped to the balcony rail.

I used the GoPro "Jaws" mount + Gooseneck on a previous cruise but on my last cruise, I ended up just using one of the semi-removable GoPro sticky mounts. It didn't move at all. Ended up needing dental floss to get it off.

Lately I'm using one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Flexible-Tripod-UBeesize-Smartphone-Compatible/dp/B077PNS1L1/ref=sr_1_8?m=A3JPZCPPKKCO75&marketplaceID=ATVPDKIKX0DER&qid=1560984965&s=merchant-items&sr=1-8

On Ovation with the larger railing I was able to bend it to form the shape of the railing and wrap one leg outside and through the gap in the glass where I bent the leg back 90° then tensioned the tripod using the inside legs form fitted to the railing.  The legs are rubber coated so they are non-slip by design.  

It's proven to be a versatile travel tripod that I can mold onto a chair or many different surfaces to operate at a better height.  

It comes with smartphone clip which I sometimes use for time lapse as well.  

Here is my balcony time lapse set up:

7QlThuA.jpg

I forgot my extended battery case so used some plastic wrap over my battery in case of drizzle which is common in Alaska.   

On 6/15/2019 at 7:03 AM, nalrudaini said:

Hello. 

I plan on mounting an osmo pocket camera on the balcony rail for timelapse in motion. What would be a good mount to use? 

You need this, I've been using one for 3-4 years now and it works great on ship rails. The other stuff above is too small

https://joby.com/us-en/gorillapod-1k-jb01503-config/

Like Laszlo, I kluged together using the GorillaPod at Hubbard Glacier. The external battery is a 72Wh Anker PowerCore 21000.

image.thumb.jpeg.25f95783d70779b2e983041ebd875c1c.jpeg

Unfortunately, the GoPro had some kind of a hiccup and although I got 3 hrs of video, one of the files was corrupted in some way. See my sad story over at

I too use a GorillaPod.  Works well but always leaves me with a very slight concern that it will fall off. I like what masterdrago did with the safety cables in case it falls.