Cruise Critic Community

18 minutes ago, coevan said:

50 years in the restaurant business, never had a customer ask for Worcestershire sauce. How do you have your steak cooked? 

Lol I use it all the time with a few exceptions, Ruth chris being one. In a perfect world I want it in between medium and medium well but only the higher end restaurants seem to be able to hit that middle mark so I tend to just say medium well. I know, the horror 😱😂

On 7/1/2019 at 12:58 PM, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Just returned from a 3-night Liberty sailing. Our primary goal was to give the new menu a try.

Let me first say that we probably won't return for any 3 night sailing. We've been on several previously, but a higher % of our fellow cruisers on this sailing obviously didn't get much in the way of "home training"... 'nuff said!

Ok - 3 nights of very good service, wine, food, and ambiance. It would seem that those other guests I referred to above didn't care to pay additional for food (thankfully!)

Tried lots of new starters. Entree wise I've now tried the Honey Chicken, Dover Sole, and Wagyu. The chicken was just ok, as was the Dover Sole (a tad too much broiler time -  thus the thinner portion trended tough). The (rare) Wagyu steak was good, and now I can say I've tried it. Next time, back to NY strips, ribeyes, and lamb 🙂

We'll be back for a 4-night sailing in August - and have all nights booked. 

Tom

Captain suite?

20 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Captain suite?

Booked only a couple weeks out... was lucky to get a balcony! Well, they call that plank a balcony anyway !

For the 4 night next month, I was at least able to get a "premium vista balcony" (aft corner). So, we'll have some room to stretch out!

Tom

12 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Booked only a couple weeks out... was lucky to get a balcony! Well, they call that plank a balcony anyway !

For the 4 night next month, I was at least able to get a "premium vista balcony" (aft corner). So, we'll have some room to stretch out!

Tom

Love aft wraps....... when they are VS they are even better.

32 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Love aft wraps....... when they are VS they are even better.

It's funny, in a peculiar sort of way, that the first time we sailed in a suite, it was on the Pride - a "Cat 11" (4228)... I didn't even know it was a suite until months after we sailed.

I know... I know !!

In those days, I was a follower of "I already paid for a good meal in the main dining room (they were actually better then), why should I pay an additional $25 to eat in the Supper Club?".

Yes, again... I know... I know !!

I wonder how I'll look back on today - a couple decades from now 😉

Tom

1 hour ago, jimbo5544 said:

Off topic, I checked out the suites on the Mardi Gras....

We'll have to chat about that!

Tom

On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 1:07 PM, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

BTW - the  heavy NY style ($3 ?) cheesecake available at the coffee/shake place is more to my liking than the oversized one offered in the steakhouse. 

Agree agree agree about that comparison. 

On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 3:49 PM, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Compliments from the chef - three evenings:

Waygu Mini Burger - good 🙂

Tomato w/chili (or such) - very tasty

Parmesan three ways - best of the bunch, IMO

On that last Liberty 3-nighter, I only dined there twice, but had two of the same chef compliments. The mini burger was excellent, but the Parm item was extra special. I had repeat servers over that tight cluster of sailings, and one picked up on how much I'd enjoyed it.  After declaring, "No dessert tonight, thanks", my folder/check was accompanied by yet another serving . . . and her big smile.

Ahem . . . "Trick or Treat" is a 4-night. 😊

55 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

We'll have to chat about that!

Tom

Agreed....😀

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Love aft wraps....... 

As do we.

Aft wrap for this Sept on the Sunrise 8 day and and Aft Wrap on the Horizon/ Havana for the ABC's next May.

Edited by thesmiths

14 hours ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

I guess we can dream  🙂

I'm just thrilled to get the bottles opened, decanted, and served for basically what I'd pay to buy the bottle on land!

Tom

Thank you for the reminder that there is an added value we are purchasing.  Sometimes I struggle with how much extra a bottle costs on the ship vs. what I can pay at home, but it is sometimes nice to have table service.

12 hours ago, Tracey.kinney425 said:

THIS! I had planned on surf and turf until I saw the actual pictures of it. This is a childs plate compared to what it should be.

If my husband and I do the steakhouse again we would likely have one get lobster and the other filet then split our meals to have reasonable sized surf & turf.  If only one of you wants it though that wouldn't work 😉 

12 hours ago, DGP1111 said:

Agree agree agree about that comparison. 

On that last Liberty 3-nighter, I only dined there twice, but had two of the same chef compliments. The mini burger was excellent, but the Parm item was extra special. I had repeat servers over that tight cluster of sailings, and one picked up on how much I'd enjoyed it.  After declaring, "No dessert tonight, thanks", my folder/check was accompanied by yet another serving . . . and her big smile.

Ahem . . . "Trick or Treat" is a 4-night. 😊

Ooooo -- TWO compliments !!

10/31.... Darn, we're off the prior week !! 

🙂

Tom

I'm just thrilled to get the bottles opened, decanted, and served for basically what I'd pay to buy the bottle on land!

I have never seen wine decanted on Carnival ship or most any restaurant. We have one at home and rarely use it.

10 minutes ago, coevan said:

I have never seen wine decanted on Carnival ship or most any restaurant. We have one at home and rarely use it.

We have had wine decanted in the steakhouse when we get really food wine. Then it is done without asking.  

thanks, good to know, has to be a really good wine. You could not decant the free wine enough to make it good 😁

On ‎7‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 6:35 PM, coevan said:

50 years in the restaurant business, never had a customer ask for Worcestershire sauce. How do you have your steak cooked? 

Lol. I put Lea & Perrins on just about everything. Especially beef, lamb, and bison. It has always been available, even in the finest of steak houses.  I like my steaks cooked on the rare side of medium rare.  I have always been able to get it in the steak house on Carnival.  

On 7/3/2019 at 1:03 PM, coevan said:

thanks, good to know, has to be a really good wine. You could not decant the free wine enough to make it good 😁

this is true, but a noble effort....

On 6/30/2019 at 4:10 PM, fyree39 said:

It's up $13 since I first cruised with Carnival 8 years ago and the cost no longer includes gratuities. If I want to include the 18% gratuity that used to be included that's an increase of $20.22 or 81%.  That's significant.

Have you gone to the store and bought hamburg or steak lately?  In the last 8 to 10 years hamburg has become more fat then beef and in some parts of the country it has double.  In February we went to a steakhouse and the menu price for the cheap cut steak was $40.00, with no dessert.  I got the medium cut of steak and it was very good but I have had just as good or better in the Steakhouse since 2010 for $35 and $38 for the whole meal with dessert.  Also at the land steak house the cost did not include the gratuities, so as we do on the ship since we first ate in one 20% is added to the bill.  ps we are NOT rich we just save are money until we can pay what is fair.

59 minutes ago, CarolinaDoglover3 said:

Have you gone to the store and bought hamburg or steak lately?  In the last 8 to 10 years hamburg has become more fat then beef and in some parts of the country it has double

What are you talking about?  Please don't speak about something you have no idea about. 

So is there free wine the first night or no?  We were debating on booking and that was pushing us towards yes.  We cruise next month on the magic. Anyone have updated info on this.  Thank you!

18 minutes ago, xtraquispe said:

So is there free wine the first night or no?  We were debating on booking and that was pushing us towards yes.  We cruise next month on the magic. Anyone have updated info on this.  Thank you!

Yes, you will receive a free bottle of house wine on the first night and first elegant night.  If you prefer to select an alternate bottle of wine, you will pay 50% of the price for that bottle.  We always select the free bottle of red, and have never been disappointed.