Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
FaithPlus1

Question about Studio Cabins

Recommended Posts

The Haven thread got me thinking about this. 

 

I'm interested in getting a studio cabin one day on any of the ships that have it. That said though, often times they seem to be more expensive than just getting an interior cabin. 

 

I've seen on dailies things like "Solo Travelers meet in Studio Lounge at 5". I know you need to have a studio cabin to enter the studio lounge (understandably so). I assume solo travelers who did not book a studio cabin will not have access to any of the solo traveler events due to this correct? Like would a daily ever say "Solo Travelers meet in Spinnaker at 5", when the ship has studio cabins?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, FaithPlus1 said:

The Haven thread got me thinking about this. 

 

I'm interested in getting a studio cabin one day on any of the ships that have it. That said though, often times they seem to be more expensive than just getting an interior cabin. 

 

I've seen on dailies things like "Solo Travelers meet in Studio Lounge at 5". I know you need to have a studio cabin to enter the studio lounge (understandably so). I assume solo travelers who did not book a studio cabin will not have access to any of the solo traveler events due to this correct? Like would a daily ever say "Solo Travelers meet in Spinnaker at 5", when the ship has studio cabins?

Have just travelled as a solo on Epic.  You are correct in thinking that only those in Studio Cabins will have their cruise cards indicating they have access to the studio lounge at all times but anyone travelling solo is welcome to join the solo gathering in the Lounge each evening (5-7pm) and can link up with other solos to go to dinner/see shows etc.  Of course you could always get friendly with one of the solo who have a studio cabin and they can let you into the lounge!

 

i have written a review of my cruise which might give you some tips and it can be found at

www.cruisecritic.co.uk/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=6585948

 

Good luck,with your plans

 

Suzanne

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, suron said:

Have just travelled as a solo on Epic.  You are correct in thinking that only those in Studio Cabins will have their cruise cards indicating they have access to the studio lounge at all times but anyone travelling solo is welcome to join the solo gathering in the Lounge each evening (5-7pm) and can link up with other solos to go to dinner/see shows etc.  Of course you could always get friendly with one of the solo who have a studio cabin and they can let you into the lounge!

 

i have written a review of my cruise which might give you some tips and it can be found at

www.cruisecritic.co.uk/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=6585948

 

Good luck,with your plans

 

Suzanne

 

Thanks :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The studio lounge door will be propped open during the time that the solo cruisers meet up is scheduled.  You don't have to be in a studio cabin to access it.   Of course you won't be able to enjoy the lounge amenities at any other time though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, FaithPlus1 said:

Thanks 🙂

Sorry I put I. An extra figure at end - it should read

 

www.cruisecritic.co.uk/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=658594

 

Suzanne

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So far I have not found a double interior that was cheaper than a studio, except for last-minute bookings that I can't use. Remember that the listed price is the fare for each of two people. If you book it for single occupancy, you'll pay double the listed amount.

 

All this changes when double cabins are still unsold after the final-payment date, and especially within two or three weeks of embarkation.

 

As others have said, anyone traveling solo - even those actually sharing a stateroom but not really traveling as a couple - is welcome at the solos' gathering. Hosts usually prop the door open but if not you can just knock.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, FaithPlus1 said:

The Haven thread got me thinking about this. 

 

I'm interested in getting a studio cabin one day on any of the ships that have it. That said though, often times they seem to be more expensive than just getting an interior cabin. 

 

I've seen on dailies things like "Solo Travelers meet in Studio Lounge at 5". I know you need to have a studio cabin to enter the studio lounge (understandably so). I assume solo travelers who did not book a studio cabin will not have access to any of the solo traveler events due to this correct? Like would a daily ever say "Solo Travelers meet in Spinnaker at 5", when the ship has studio cabins?

 

Yes, on NCL ... the solo meet ups are 'usually' in the Bliss lounge ... around 5pm.  And the host of the solo meets arranges table(s) for dinner with the dining room on a daily basis and the solo group walk directly in to the dining room ... bypassing the LONG line of guests waiting to be seated.  NCL treats solo groups VERY well.  

 

I would NEVER get a solo cabin.  They are TINY, like you said ... more expensive typically than an interior cabin.  NOT worth it to me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In my opinion, the studio cabins are an absolutely outstanding feature of NCL.  I find them much nicer than interior cabins and, in most cases, less expensive. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FaithPlus1 said:

The Haven thread got me thinking about this. 

 

I'm interested in getting a studio cabin one day on any of the ships that have it. That said though, often times they seem to be more expensive than just getting an interior cabin. 

 

I've seen on dailies things like "Solo Travelers meet in Studio Lounge at 5". I know you need to have a studio cabin to enter the studio lounge (understandably so). I assume solo travelers who did not book a studio cabin will not have access to any of the solo traveler events due to this correct? Like would a daily ever say "Solo Travelers meet in Spinnaker at 5", when the ship has studio cabins?

I have sailed in the studios a number of times. At least on the Getaway the solo get together are in a bar not in the lounge. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, FLAHAM said:

In my opinion, the studio cabins are an absolutely outstanding feature of NCL.  I find them much nicer than interior cabins and, in most cases, less expensive. 

 

I was shocked to find we get a better shipboard lounge than the Haven does. We (studios) get the fanciest coffee maker, all day iced water and juice on tap, pastries, fruit, cookies, tea, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, perditax said:

 

I was shocked to find we get a better shipboard lounge than the Haven does. We (studios) get the fanciest coffee maker, all day iced water and juice on tap, pastries, fruit, cookies, tea, etc.

 

Well the suites do get a "decent" coffee maker in the room, and goodies everyday with special services included.... Studios have to 'walk' down to the lounge and the Butler isn't there to take extra requests.  😄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Sauer-kraut said:

 

Well the suites do get a "decent" coffee maker in the room, and goodies everyday with special services included.... Studios have to 'walk' down to the lounge and the Butler isn't there to take extra requests.  😄

 

The coffee makers in my aft Haven suite a few months ago were keurig-type pod clones and didn’t get the water hot enough to make a decent cup of tea. The machine in the studio lounge makes espresso drinks from whole beans, and has a separate hot water line for tea. 

 

Everyone on BA seemed very overworked, and I’d rather walk 10 feet to the lounge (studio area is quite small) to get my cookies (tea, pound cake, iced water, breakfast pastries, etc) than call someone and wait around for them to bring them. 

 

I was was also surprised to find there was no coffee/tea station or pastries in the Haven lounge on disembark day. They had shut down the courtyard cart. I was used to being able to grab and go in the studio lounge. (I’m not a big breakfast eater, so Haven restaurant on disembark day was way overkill.)

 

I was also generally surprised at the lack of a true concierge lounge in Haven after experiencing them on DCL and Princess (and various hotels). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

The first night, in my experience, has the meetup in a bar. The other nights vary - on my last cruise on the Bliss every other night was in the lounge with the door propped open. When I was on the getaway a few years back it alternated between the lounge and a bar.  The solos host on getaway was drinking with us every night where the one on bliss didn't have any even on the first night. I'm not sure if it was a personality difference (the guy on the getaway was very laid back, sat down and chatted with us etc where the guy on the bliss was more all business he'd chat with us but was mostly walking around to get people to sign up and answer questions) or if NCL told them to have a more stepped back approach. While I liked both hosts, I think the guy drinking with us made a more lively happy hour. 

 

As for prices - I've been in the studio 3 times and all 3 times it was cheaper than an interior. I do opt for the drink package so I don't compare prices on the sailaway rate. Even on my Bliss cruise when prices were dropping on all categories studio won out - I think an interior down on 5 might have been 20 bucks cheaper but I prefer access to the lounge and being on a higher deck. 

 

As for size - the interiors are 20-30sf more and some of that goes to the different bathroom set up (toilet shower and sink in a closed off room vs studios it's open). And the closet set up is a lot of storage. I think the setup is efficent and roomy. My only complaint is the small sink causes me to splash water everywhere sometimes. And I'd suggest bringing magnetic hooks as the wall surrounding the toilet is a big unused expanse. 

 

 

Edited by smplybcause

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When the Interior Cabin is less than the Studio Cabin, that is because the rate you are seeing for the Interior is the Sail Away rate which means no amenities.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, bostonphil said:

When the Interior Cabin is less than the Studio Cabin, that is because the rate you are seeing for the Interior is the Sail Away rate which means no amenities.

 

 

 

What do you mean by "no amenities"? Like no amenities at all in the cabin? Or just no freebies? Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TheOutrigger said:

 

What do you mean by "no amenities"? Like no amenities at all in the cabin? Or just no freebies? Thanks!

 

It just means no Free at Sea promos.  No drink package, $50 shore excursion credit, Dining package, etc.  You still get a room with a bed and it still includes all your meals.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And with sailaway you might end up in some non ideal spots since you can’t pick your cabin. (That said, I know a lot of people don’t mind.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, CruiseGal999 said:

I would NEVER get a solo cabin.  They are TINY, like you said ... more expensive typically than an interior cabin.  NOT worth it to me. 

 

NCL's "feel" bigger than the Studios RCI has on some ships.  RCI has the bathroom walled off, which is a big factor there.  I much prefer the way NCL has done it.  As for the cost - I'm looking at a Mexican Riviera cruise in October, the SailAway insides are $100 more expensive than the Studios (that get a FreeAtSea perk in addition to the lower rate).

 

13 hours ago, FLAHAM said:

In my opinion, the studio cabins are an absolutely outstanding feature of NCL.

 

I agree, and everyone on my cruise that did the cabin crawl and saw the Studio setup (room and lounge) was impressed at the setup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Studio cabins are usually less expensive than an inside cabin on cruise ships that have them.

If you are not going to be in the room all day & it is just for sleeping and you do not need a lot of room, then it is the perfect size.

 

The solo group meet up - for those cruise ships that have the studio lounge - it is open during that specific time.

Other cruise ships - will meet up at bliss lounge for example.

The location will be shown up on the NCL freestyle daily newsletter.

 

Yes, the best thing about the studio lounge is the coffee machine with different espresso drinks. :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/17/2019 at 5:35 PM, poohdreaming said:

Studio cabins are usually less expensive than an inside cabin on cruise ships that have them.

If you are not going to be in the room all day & it is just for sleeping and you do not need a lot of room, then it is the perfect size.

 

The solo group meet up - for those cruise ships that have the studio lounge - it is open during that specific time.

Other cruise ships - will meet up at bliss lounge for example.

The location will be shown up on the NCL freestyle daily newsletter.

 

Yes, the best thing about the studio lounge is the coffee machine with different espresso drinks. :)

 

 

Yes, IF you can find the price of a studio considerably less than an interior ... but I have never seen that .... ever when I've tracked prices of cruises.  And IF the studio was cheaper ... it might have been $100 cheaper and that isn't worth it to me to give up the size of a regular interior cabin.  I typically cruise solo ONLY when NCL has dropped the solo supplement charges.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, CruiseGal999 said:

 

Yes, IF you can find the price of a studio considerably less than an interior ... but I have never seen that .... ever when I've tracked prices of cruises.  And IF the studio was cheaper ... it might have been $100 cheaper and that isn't worth it to me to give up the size of a regular interior cabin.  I typically cruise solo ONLY when NCL has dropped the solo supplement charges.  

Which, on the majority of cruises, they never do. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, CruiseGal999 said:

 

Yes, IF you can find the price of a studio considerably less than an interior ... but I have never seen that .... ever when I've tracked prices of cruises.  And IF the studio was cheaper ... it might have been $100 cheaper and that isn't worth it to me to give up the size of a regular interior cabin.  I typically cruise solo ONLY when NCL has dropped the solo supplement charges.  

 

I've seen studios cheaper frequently -- unless you're talking about sailaway rates but those aren't totally comparable to a studio with a perk. On my May Bliss cruise even though the other cabins lowered the solo supplement they were still were more than $100 cheaper. (And, personally, meh to paying $100 more for 20sf when at least half of that is just closing off the bathroom and the 'hall' that goes by the bathroom to the main part of the cabin)

 

But studios do have a floor that I personally haven't seen them go under. The Bliss cruise they got down to $899 and that's the lowest I've ever seen one. They usually tend to bottom out at 999/1099 so if you are a last minute cruiser you can get a regular cabin for less, but it's got to be a sailing with a lot of inventory. I was wanting to go with my friends on a cruise in Feb - the studios were a ton of money, but the sailing sold well and the regular cabins never dropped below studio rates. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A with the Coral Expeditions Team
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...