6/22 Carnival Vista delayed?

MsRay1961

10 hours ago, aknguyen said:

Vista isn't that old. Why does she have such a huge problem? That's at least 3 cruises in a row with issues. This must not be a small repair.

This really sucks for everyone booked that week.

Most likely is an issue with the azipods. If you remember when the Oasis and Allure were new they had tons of issues with their propulsion pods as well. 

An extra fun day at sea, service gratuity included!
• An onboard credit US$200, per person, was posted to their Sail & Sign® account
• A 50% future cruise credit will be provided for each guest so they can sail with us again
• A complimentary day will be added for any guest who has purchased our 7-day internet, CHEERS! or Bottomless Bubbles packages
• Reimbursement of up to US$200, per person, for any air-related change fees.
• A refund of any pre-purchased Carnival shore excursions and the taxes, fees and port expenses for Mahogany Bay  The above is what Carnival is giving people on The Vista  per  JH

37 minutes ago, Whatnah78 said:

More than one of two days... Especially if it's cancelled I'm pretty sure it's a possibility.

If it's cancelled, then you will get a full refund of your cruise, as the Manager mentioned.

If you are out-of-pocket for other expenses, this is why you buy travel insurance.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Sean_B said:

If it's cancelled, then you will get a full refund of your cruise, as the Manager mentioned.

If you are out-of-pocket for other expenses, this is why you buy travel insurance.

Well we did buy travel insurance but even without it that's not right if carnival were to not give people's money back for excursions. Even though they always do.

Just now, Whatnah78 said:

Well we did buy travel insurance but even without it that's not right if carnival were to not give people's money back for excursions. Even though they always do.

When I said a full refund for the cruise, I was including excursions if they were booked through Carnival. Outside bookings may or may not be reimbursed. That's up to Carnival and whatever their policy will be.

2 minutes ago, Sean_B said:

When I said a full refund for the cruise, I was including excursions if they were booked through Carnival. Outside bookings may or may not be reimbursed. That's up to Carnival and whatever their policy will be.

Ahhh okay yeah outside bookings indeed you're out of luck.

2 hours ago, Tagb123 said:

Inconvenienced a day or 2? So far Carnival customer service is stating the cruise will be shortened, no idea how long yet or just canceled. Vacationers have travel plans that just can't change on a whim. It's beyond our control. This is more than a day or 2 inconvenience. Our vacation that has been planned for months is now on hold, no idea when we'll leave or if we will ever leave. They are telling customers to "just cancel" if you call their customer service, no info is available and the cruise is less than a week away.....DISAPPOINTING!

If they shorten the cruise a day or two, you'll be reimbursed for those one or two days. If the cruise is cancelled, then you'll get your money back. If you are going to incur other out-of-pocket expenses, well that's what travel insurance is for.

I understand that people are going to be upset they may not get the vacation they were hoping for, but getting all their money back means they can plan a different vacation.

3 minutes ago, Sean_B said:

If they shorten the cruise a day or two, you'll be reimbursed for those one or two days. If the cruise is cancelled, then you'll get your money back. If you are going to incur other out-of-pocket expenses, well that's what travel insurance is for.

I understand that people are going to be upset they may not get the vacation they were hoping for, but getting all their money back means they can plan a different vacation.

Apparently you have never been cancelled by a cruise line before.  I can tell you if airfare was purchased you will not get that refunded.  Trip insurance will not cover it.  The insurance says the airline didn't cancel so and therefore are not due any reimbursement.  Doesn't matter that you now have no reason to be flying to that location (for us that was Puerto Rico, no other ports to drive to). 

How do I know this?  I went through it when Carnival cancelled one of our cruises for the lovely reason of just wanting to give people a change of ships. It took Carnival 2 weeks to offer to pay the airline change fees but that would only be in the form of an OBC on a future cruise.  So you would only get this once you were onboard.  We chose to book another cruise that was leaving at the same time from Puerto Rico on a different cruise line.  It was a great trip.  Other cruise lines have a great product too.  The thing is it stressful to have to go through and can make you think twice about what you book and with whom.

10 minutes ago, luv2trvlnow said:

Apparently you have never been cancelled by a cruise line before.  I can tell you if airfare was purchased you will not get that refunded.  Trip insurance will not cover it.  The insurance says the airline didn't cancel so and therefore are not due any reimbursement.  Doesn't matter that you now have no reason to be flying to that location (for us that was Puerto Rico, no other ports to drive to). 

How do I know this?  I went through it when Carnival cancelled one of our cruises for the lovely reason of just wanting to give people a change of ships. It took Carnival 2 weeks to offer to pay the airline change fees but that would only be in the form of an OBC on a future cruise.  So you would only get this once you were onboard.  We chose to book another cruise that was leaving at the same time from Puerto Rico on a different cruise line.  It was a great trip.  Other cruise lines have a great product too.  The thing is it stressful to have to go through and can make you think twice about what you book and with whom.

When you purchased your cruise, you were given the option of selecting the "any reason" trip insurance from Carnival, which would have covered your added expenses, like it says, for any reason.

You also have the option of purchasing that style of insurance from outside sources as well, as we did for our cruise in 2020. I had a heart attack a year ago and even though I've been given 100% medical clearance by my Flight Surgeon and have returned to flying duties, we wanted to make sure we were covered in case anything else happened in the future. It sounds like you elected to purchase a lower cost insurance which wouldn't cover your added expenses, under the assumption that nothing would happen and you wouldn't need to use it.

Edited by Sean_B
spelling

2 minutes ago, Sean_B said:

When you purchased your cruise, you were given the option of selecting the "any reason" trip insurance from Carnival, which would have covered your added expenses, like it says, for any reason.

You also have the option of purchasing that style of insurance from outside sources as well, as we did for our cruise in 2020. I had a heart attack a year ago and even though I've been given 100% medical clearance by my Flight Surgeon and have returned to flying duties, we wanted to make sure we were covered in case anything else happened in the future. it sounds like you elected to purchase a lower cost insurance which wouldn't cover your added expenses, under the assumption that nothing would happen and you wouldn't need to use it.

Carnival is the lower cost option.  Carnival's insurance and outside insurance only pay up to 75% of the cost if it is "cancel for any reason". But Carnival would only give that as a future cruise credit not a refund.  Plus Carnival's insurance is poor, only $10,000 for medical costs and does not cover pre-existing conditions.  If you are older like us and have a pre-existing condition, Carnival's insurance would be a last choice. Be grateful you didn't need medical care because that amount of coverage won't go far.  You chose one that would cover your airfare at 75 or 100%, but less medical and evacuation coverage.  We chose one that gave us much better medical and evacuation coverage.  That was only our second time flying to a port and will probably be our last.

Both have pluses and minuses.  Don't want to chose which coverage I want more.  But probably have a better chance of needing the medical than having the cruise line cancel.  We would only cancel for a covered reason and then get a 100% refund, including all added costs like the airfare, independent excursions, etc.

We never once thought airfare would not be covered if the cruise line cancelled for no good reason (not weather related, mechanical, etc). We now know better and I just think people should know that if they have airfare purchased independently and the cruise line cancels most insurances won't refund the airfare.  Knowledge is power.

1 minute ago, luv2trvlnow said:

Carnival is the lower cost option.  Carnival's insurance and outside insurance only pay up to 75% of the cost if it is "cancel for any reason". But Carnival would only give that as a future cruise credit not a refund.  Plus Carnival's insurance is poor, only $10,000 for medical costs and does not cover pre-existing conditions.  If you are older like us and have a pre-existing condition, Carnival's insurance would be a last choice. Be grateful you didn't need medical care because that amount of coverage won't go far.  You chose one that would cover your airfare at 75 or 100%, but less medical and evacuation coverage.  We chose one that gave us much better medical and evacuation coverage.  That was only our second time flying to a port and will probably be our last.

Both have pluses and minuses.  Don't want to chose which coverage I want more.  But probably have a better chance of needing the medical than having the cruise line cancel.  We would only cancel for a covered reason and then get a 100% refund, including all added costs like the airfare, independent excursions, etc.

We never once thought airfare would not be covered if the cruise line cancelled for no good reason (not weather related, mechanical, etc). We now know better and I just think people should know that if they have airfare purchased independently and the cruise line cancels most insurances won't refund the airfare.  Knowledge is power.

Our insurance package covers 100% of our costs, but it may be a difference of where you live. We're in Canada and our options may be different from yours. Medically, my family and I are also covered by the military, so I don't have to worry about how much it costs if I need attention.

• Like 1

In the original post, Carnival said they would reimburse airfare change fees.  Doesn't that mean you can change your air ticket to another vacation somewhere else and Carnival will pay the change fees?

On 6/15/2019 at 11:01 PM, Tagb123 said:

If I have to cancel....I will definitely never book with Carnival again. We will go with another cruise line. I've never been treated so poorly by a company in my entire life. Again I realize things happen beyond their control but they need better customer service. 

RCCL was the worst during Harvey.  They allowed people to come to Galveston knowing the hurricane would hit, no info, no emails until the last minute.  Cruiselines are all the same.

On 6/15/2019 at 10:12 PM, Tagb123 said:

Carnival did state they will reimburse for the 2 days or the full cruise if canceled. It's very disappointing they add an extra day to the cruise sailing before ours, but then decide to shorten or cancel the 6/22 cruise. I was told to just "book" another cruise if it's canceled. Obviously Carnival does not understand most people have jobs and a lot of planning goes into vacations. We cannot just change our vacation to another week. I will never book another cruise with Carnival again. I understand things happen but the way they speak to their customers is uncalled for. Extremely disappointed our vacation is on the verge of being canceled and told to just wait it out....

It's due to a propulsion issue... beyond their control.

17 hours ago, Bevv said:

june 22 Carnival.jpg

Bev any updates on itinerary?  Now 12:30P EST on the19th.

I can understand people being upset by changes in itinerary especially if it cuts into your vacation plans.  However, not much more Carnival can do but keep you informed and let you know your options.

Those going, enjoy the shortened cruise.

18 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

Bev any updates on itinerary?  Now 12:30P EST on the19th.

I can understand people being upset by changes in itinerary especially if it cuts into your vacation plans.  However, not much more Carnival can do but keep you informed and let you know your options.

Those going, enjoy the shortened cruise.

If you go to your account on Carnival.com, you will see the update.  I forgot what it is, but we only have 1 same port, 1 deleted port, and 1 changed port (Mexico).

17 minutes ago, eccentricfang said:

The new itinerary that shows up on the manage page actually extends it by a day making it an 8 day cruise with 2 ports.

I didn't see that it remains an 8-day (7-day?) cruise.  It's now Sunday to Saturday.

I wonder if they know the problem will take X days to fix, and that they will run 8-day cruises for a while, take the ship out of service the X days to fix the problem, then get back on to their normal 7-day Sat-Sat rotation.  At some point they will have to completely erase one cruise.