Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community

Recommended Posts

Has anyone figure out a way to print a discussion since the format changed last fall?  I can't seem to find "view printable option" or "text only" option on the boards, like we used to have, and pasting the forum URL into printfriendly.com gives an error.

 

HELP!  This is an essential function for me...for various reasons I prefer to read printed content rather than online and especially when planning complicated trips or new ports and new destinations, if I can't print the content this site becomes pretty much useless for me for researching ports or reading the long trip reports which usually contain invaluable information.  I love CC and would hate to stop using it so I need to find a workaround (that doesn't involve copying and pasting things into a Word document, then editing, which I do not have time to do).

 

I'm sure I can't be the only one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In Chrome, (I haven't tested other browsers), place the cursor above the first letter of the username of the first post you want to print. Press and hold the left mouse button and drag the highlight down and to the right until the like icon (circled heart) of the last post to be printed is highlighted. Release the mouse button. Move the cursor into the selected area and click the right mouse button. Select the Print option on the menu that pops up. (You can't use Ctrl+P as that will print the entire page.) A print preview pane will appear. You can select various print options before printing.

 

This is not an ideal scheme and it can only do one browser page at a time but it does work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you.  I am not particularly fond of Chrome (slight understatement) but at least that will work to a certain extent (it didn't work in Firefox at all, and in Internet Explorer, it cut off the last few lines of the last post on the page).  It will certainly not be either quick or easy for a lengthy discussion to be printed for future reference.

 

I would appreciate if one of the moderators would address why this functionality has disappeared, and would appreciate even more if they would bring it back the next time the forums are updated, if not sooner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pawmtweez said:

I would appreciate if one of the moderators would address why this functionality has disappeared, and would appreciate even more if they would bring it back the next time the forums are updated, if not sooner

 

An email to community@cruisecritic.com with the request might help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/15/2019 at 5:21 PM, pawmtweez said:

Has anyone figure out a way to print a discussion since the format changed last fall?  I can't seem to find "view printable option" or "text only" option on the boards, like we used to have, and pasting the forum URL into printfriendly.com gives an error.

 

HELP!  This is an essential function for me...for various reasons I prefer to read printed content rather than online and especially when planning complicated trips or new ports and new destinations, if I can't print the content this site becomes pretty much useless for me for researching ports or reading the long trip reports which usually contain invaluable information.  I love CC and would hate to stop using it so I need to find a workaround (that doesn't involve copying and pasting things into a Word document, then editing, which I do not have time to do).

 

I'm sure I can't be the only one.

 

In chrome, cntrl p, change printer to save as pdf, it will print about 13 -17 pages to a pdf, if you rname each additoanl pages you when be able to print the pdf, screen shot of settings, sample pdf attached.

 

image.thumb.png.1243ecb435b7052736914c84ffc7197f.png

Royal Caribbean Cabin Information Compilation -NO CABIN QUESTIONS POSTED HERE PLEASE! - Royal Caribbean International - Cruise Critic Community.pdf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I am experiencing the same difficulties and frustration as Pawmtweez.  There used to be an option to print a forum discussion in a printer-friendly manner, and the option appears to have vanished.  Now if I want to print a discussion I need to waste a tremendous amount of additional paper and ink, and it is considerably harder for me to read.  

 

Like Pawmtweez, I would greatly appreciate it if CruiseCritic would restore this option for those of who want to print out forum discussions from time to time.

Edited by Marcus305

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Marcus305 said:

I am experiencing the same difficulties and frustration as Pawmtweez.  There used to be an option to print a forum discussion in a printer-friendly manner, and the option appears to have vanished.  Now if I want to print a discussion I need to waste a tremendous amount of paper and it is considerably harder for me to read.  

 

Like Pawmtweez, I would greatly appreciate it if CruiseCritic would restore this option for those of who want to print out forum discussions from time to time.

 

I'd advise an email to community@cruisecritic.com.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@pawmtweez & @Marcus305

 

As @broberts states above, you need to contact the Community Manager from your Cruise Critic e-mail address of record with your feedback concerning the new Invision Community software vs. the old vBulletin software:

 

LauraS

Senior Manager, Community

community@cruisecritic.com

 

Questions or comments on the inner workings of Cruise Critic  should not be posted on this or any other forum on the Cruise Critic message board since that violates the Community Guidelines.

 

... Discussion of the management of this community is not allowed on the forums.  Your post will be removed and you may receive a Guideline Reminder.  However, we would be happy to address any concerns you have via email.   Please write to the Community Manager at:  community@cruisecritic.com...

 

It is impossible for Management to read each post on each thread in each forum to see the questions, comments or concerns about Cruise Critic policies or site feedback. As for the Hosts/Moderators, they are not Management nor employed by Cruise Critic. They are non-paid volunteers trying to help "direct traffic" and must follow the Moderator Handbook given to them by the Community Manager.

 

An e-mail to the Community Manager is the quickest way for all members to get their questions, comments & concerns about Cruise Critic policies or site feedback to the correct place. The Community Manager has overall control of everything that happens within the Community. The Community Manager oversees how the board is styled, what forums to create and how to organize them, what information to require from members and who to appoint as Hosts/Moderators.

 

I sincerely hope this additional information will be helpful!

 

Kat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks again broberts, I have started to use your tips for being able to print in Chrome.  But have you (or anyone else) noticed that if you are signed in, it takes considerably longer to generate the print preview (even if you are saving to PDF) than it does if you're not?

 

It has happened multiple times on multiple Windows devices, so it doesn't appear to be a one-time glitch or slowdown.  Yet another frustration if the discussion you're trying to print is password protected, like a roll call.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, pawmtweez said:

Thanks again broberts, I have started to use your tips for being able to print in Chrome.  But have you (or anyone else) noticed that if you are signed in, it takes considerably longer to generate the print preview (even if you are saving to PDF) than it does if you're not?

 

It has happened multiple times on multiple Windows devices, so it doesn't appear to be a one-time glitch or slowdown.  Yet another frustration if the discussion you're trying to print is password protected, like a roll call.

Try these options, this renders instantly on a W7 pc, more pagess or images take longer

image.thumb.png.f22e07c4b597d5e09d2e26c03cd98562.png

 

here is a PDF result:

Printing - Need Help Using the Forums_ Check Here! - Cruise Critic Community.pdf

 

Here is a result with drag and drop custom margins

 

 

Printing - Need Help Using the Forums_ Check Here! - Cruise Critic Community custom margins.pdf

Edited by AlanF65

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a $3,000 Norwegian Cruise Line Gift Card
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...