Koala and kangaroo pic

My front yard. My place is a bit of a zoo.

Seriously Taronga Zoo would be the easiest to get to. Just a fabulous short ride across the harbour in a ferry from Circular Quay right near the cruise terminal. Not exactly a natural setting but a great backdrop of the harbour.

Another place I saw on Google was Symbio Wildlife Park in south Sydney in Helensburgh which is on the city rail network.

The further out of the city centre you go I would think you would be more likely to find a natural setting but then the travel time eats into your day.

DSC01554.JPG

I’ve often had Roos in the yard (some nasty people say I’ve got a few loose in the top paddock) but not Koalas. Used to live near a creek full of Platypus, I’m certain one kept an eye out for me to visit as he (or she) would always pop up when I went down there.

4 hours ago, Disneymom06 said:

What zoo do you go to, to get  picture with the kaola or kangaroo. 

In natural setting. Plus how do you get there from the cruise terminal

It is easy to get photos with kangaroos and often in a natural setting, but it isn't as easy to get a photo with a koala. Wildlife parks have koalas, but in some states, visitors are not allowed to hold the koalas. It is permitted in Queensland under supervision. However, the setting isn't really natural-looking.

1 hour ago, GUT2407 said:

I’ve often had Roos in the yard (some nasty people say I’ve got a few loose in the top paddock) but not Koalas. Used to live near a creek full of Platypus, I’m certain one kept an eye out for me to visit as he (or she) would always pop up when I went down there.

Loose in the top paddock.....

it is is not a nasty comment from me. It is a diagnosis. 

Anyway, from Melbourne I would say Healesville Sanctuary.

https://www.zoo.org.au/healesville/animals/koala

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

Loose in the top paddock.....

it is is not a nasty comment from me. It is a diagnosis. 

Anyway, from Melbourne I would say Healesville Sanctuary.

https://www.zoo.org.au/healesville/animals/koala

Should have thought to ask you about my sanity, or lack thereof, but I know at least one person crazier than me.... Mrs Gut

Have a look at wild life Sydney zoo. In the city so easy to get to. Not as great as taronga zoo but if what you want is native animals it would have what you're after and doesn't take long to get around. 

6 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

It is easy to get photos with kangaroos and often in a natural setting, but it isn't as easy to get a photo with a koala. Wildlife parks have koalas, but in some states, visitors are not allowed to hold the koalas. It is permitted in Queensland under supervision. However, the setting isn't really natural-looking.

I wrote a warning for overseas cruisers wanting to hold a koala while visiting Australia.  i will repeat it here for the benefit of recent intending overseas cruisers.

Overseas visitors to Australia love to cuddle or/and hold Koala bears as they seem to be such cute little animals and everyone loves them.

Can I just say if you are fortunate to be able to hold a Koala during your visit downunder then please take the following precautions:

A Wear a full raincoat that covers you from head to toe

B If A above not applicable, then try a plastic sheet or poncho from a $2 shop.

WHY is it necessary to take these precautions???

The answer is simple - the little cute Koala will pee all over you - and I can tell you from experience that your Husband/Wife/friend on the cruise will not want to be within 10 meters of you for the rest of the day or perhaps even the next several days?

Even a Australian Government minister some years ago experienced what I have outlined above - I think it cost him his re-election.

But even worse - the bus driver who took you on the tour will probably not let youon his bus for thr trip back to the ship - just imagine that!

Is it that bad - yes it is.

You may even be denied entry back on the ship and even if you do get aboard, your cabin steward will probably call the Head Housekeeper and have you put in quarantine for a week.

If you want to cuddle a Koala then follow the advice in A and B above.

Edited by Bpos

7 hours ago, Disneymom06 said:

Thank you so much for info. We r staying in a hotel first day on  king street. I need to figure out also how to get cruise terminal. Can u take your luggage with you on the train

Depends where on King St in relation to train station.

From there, however, I would take a taxi. It won’t cost much and far less hassle.

Yes, you can take luggage on Sydney trains. The carriages are on 2 levels, but there is a largish entry way. People with luggage use that space, perhaps even a seat or 2 there. No luggage racks, so you have to stay with your cases.

10 hours ago, Bpos said:

I wrote a warning for overseas cruisers wanting to hold a koala while visiting Australia.  i will repeat it here for the benefit of recent intending overseas cruisers.

Overseas visitors to Australia love to cuddle or/and hold Koala bears as they seem to be such cute little animals and everyone loves them.

Can I just say if you are fortunate to be able to hold a Koala during your visit downunder then please take the following precautions:

A Wear a full raincoat that covers you from head to toe

B If A above not applicable, then try a plastic sheet or poncho from a $2 shop.

WHY is it necessary to take these precautions???

The answer is simple - the little cute Koala will pee all over you - and I can tell you from experience that your Husband/Wife/friend on the cruise will not want to be within 10 meters of you for the rest of the day or perhaps even the next several days?

Even a Australian Government minister some years ago experienced what I have outlined above - I think it cost him his re-election.

But even worse - the bus driver who took you on the tour will probably not let youon his bus for thr trip back to the ship - just imagine that!

Is it that bad - yes it is.

You may even be denied entry back on the ship and even if you do get aboard, your cabin steward will probably call the Head Housekeeper and have you put in quarantine for a week.

If you want to cuddle a Koala then follow the advice in A and B above.

I know that koalas have the reputation of peeing on people, but it hasn't ever happened to me or to anyone else when I have been in the koala area of a wildlife park (that has been many times).

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Disneymom06 said:

I looked at the  wildlife Sydney zoo that looks perfect. Thank you. I just want a small zoo with kaola ,kangaroo, . 

Just note that the Sydney Zoo is yet to open, it is supposed to be open for late 2019, so make sure it has for your visit.

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

Just note that the Sydney Zoo is yet to open, it is supposed to be open for late 2019, so make sure it has for your visit.

That's a different zoo, Mic. The Wildlife Sydney Zoo is the one at Darling Harbour, next to the aquarium.

Thanks to those who mentioned the Wildlife Sydney Zoo at Darling Harbour. I didn't know it was there, it sounds a great place to visit and so convenient to the CBD.

Leigh