Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Snit13

Please tell me we do not have to worry on Royal

Recommended Posts

Not concerned about cost of vacation or visit to ship’s doctor.  We insure to cover medical evacuation and major medical cost. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is pathetic. The Doctor had to evacuate the patient fight away. J don't care how many emergencies the Dr. Is dealing with. You triage and evacuate of necessary. For them to hold the family hostage is terrible. The Captain made a terrible decision to continue on to Puerto Rico and did not call for a helicopter. Was someone in the medical center making the  condition  less serious and giving false info. Why wasn't a shoreside Med Doc consulted in Grand Turk and an EKG run. 

 

Royal I'm sure would have handled it better and the patient may have had a better chance to survive 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, travelplus said:

This is pathetic. The Doctor had to evacuate the patient fight away. J don't care how many emergencies the Dr. Is dealing with. You triage and evacuate of necessary. For them to hold the family hostage is terrible. The Captain made a terrible decision to continue on to Puerto Rico and did not call for a helicopter. Was someone in the medical center making the  condition  less serious and giving false info. Why wasn't a shoreside Med Doc consulted in Grand Turk and an EKG run. 

 

Royal I'm sure would have handled it better and the patient may have had a better chance to survive 

 

As stated before, you have heard one side of a legal argument.  Lets wait and see what comes out in court before we cast aspersions on either Carnival, the Captain, or the ship's doctor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

There's not enough info for me to decide.   The article seems very one sided.  My first thought is if the situation was that dire in the beginning the ship would have done all they could to get him to land.  That being said I can see the ship not being equipped for a massive heart attack.   Heck our home hospital isn't equipped to handle a heart attack  beyond saying yeah it's a  heart attack and call an ambulance to transport you.   When DH had his heart attack it took 7 hours to get him transferred to another hospital 

 

Edited by nascarcruiser

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, travelplus said:

This is pathetic. The Doctor had to evacuate the patient fight away. J don't care how many emergencies the Dr. Is dealing with. You triage and evacuate of necessary. For them to hold the family hostage is terrible. The Captain made a terrible decision to continue on to Puerto Rico and did not call for a helicopter. Was someone in the medical center making the  condition  less serious and giving false info. Why wasn't a shoreside Med Doc consulted in Grand Turk and an EKG run. 

 

Royal I'm sure would have handled it better and the patient may have had a better chance to survive 

 

Are you basing your opinion solely on this one article, that is clearly biased (as others have also pointed out)?  Even if true, how do you know Royal would have handled it better?  Do you have any facts to back that statement up?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for flagging up the story. 

 

What I don't understand is how can the family sue for loss of inheritance?  If the gentleman had survived he may not have been able to return to work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bloodgem said:

Thank you for flagging up the story. 

 

What I don't understand is how can the family sue for loss of inheritance?  If the gentleman had survived he may not have been able to return to work.

I'm not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV, but I know that this falls under the Death on High Seas Act (DOHSA) in the US, and this limits compensation to only what the immediate family would lose of the decedent's potential income.  Not damages, or expenses incurred by the family.  Non-pecuniary damages (pain and suffering) are explicity disallowed.  But the lawyers know this and will make the claims anyway.  His severe heart condition would be taken into consideration when calculating his potential lifetime earnings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Our BCBS policy has always reimbursed us for any emergency care aboard ship. Dont see the need for any supplement at this time

Ok John, translate BCBS please.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Snit13 said:

Ok John, translate BCBS please.

 

I am not John, but I’m assuming it’s Blue Cross/Blue Shield. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, KelJ said:

 

I am not John, but I’m assuming it’s Blue Cross/Blue Shield. 

 

Correct

I think they are the parent company of Geo Blue.

There are dozens of BCBS programs. Some cover better than others, and don't need the Geo Blue upgrade

Our version is pretty good. 

Edited by John&LaLa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bottom line...you are never "safe" anywhere, at any time, from everything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

I'm not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV, but I know that this falls under the Death on High Seas Act (DOHSA) in the US, and this limits compensation to only what the immediate family would lose of the decedent's potential income.  Not damages, or expenses incurred by the family.  Non-pecuniary damages (pain and suffering) are explicity disallowed.  But the lawyers know this and will make the claims anyway.  His severe heart condition would be taken into consideration when calculating his potential lifetime earnings.

Thank you for explaining.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It sounds as though the gentleman had many health problems to begin with.  The ship was not near a major heart hospital so I am not sure what the family wanted to happen and where they expected him to be evacuated to.  Both my parents were in major hospitals and even all the bells and whistles could not save them.  At some point it is your time and nothing can change that except lawyers will always find someone to blame.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, nascarcruiser said:

There's not enough info for me to decide.   The article seems very one sided.  My first thought is if the situation was that dire in the beginning the ship would have done all they could to get him to land.  That being said I can see the ship not being equipped for a massive heart attack.   Heck our home hospital isn't equipped to handle a heart attack  beyond saying yeah it's a  heart attack and call an ambulance to transport you.   When DH had his heart attack it took 7 hours to get him transferred to another hospital 

 

Very

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, nelblu said:

On my last 4 Anthem's cruises we've had medical emergencies and evacuation.  2 were Coast Guard Medivacs, one was dropped off in Bermuda and the other instance was in Halifax.

 

Here's a more recent medical experience on the Anthem.

 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2671495-anthem-of-the-seas-rescue-footage/?tab=comments#comment-57692040

 

Had a Coast Guard Evacuation on the Anthem a couple of days ago.

 

We are 2 for 2 on the Anthem.

Edited by neckhardt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So perhaps the man was not "fit for travel" and took a risk. The Cruiselines are not your Doctor and they simply cannot make every diagnoses. If a person is really sick I think the responsible thing to do is to cancel the vacation or not book a vacation. Yes one can get a heart attack anywhere but if you are prone to a severe illness that requires you to be near a medical facility then perhaps curtailing travel is a hard but the right thing to do.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The big advantage to the Royal insurance is they do not underwrite.  So the price is the same, no matter what your age.

 

When we cruised with my parents, 3rd party insurance would have been several thousand dollars.  Royal was a few hundred.

 

My mother had an issue, and while her bills would not have bankrupted my Dad, it was nice to have coverage.  

 

And they got involved and negotiated several bills down to the limits of coverage.

 

Yes, many health insurance plans will cover you outside the US.  But not all of them.  And Medicare does not.

 

You have to check YOUR coverage.  And decide YOUR level of risk and required coverage.

 

One thing I have found is, if you do not cover the cruise cost, the insurance is inexpensive.  I cover myself when traveling for $32 per trip. So far, covering up to 3 weeks.  

 

And, as for this incident, as others have said, you have heard one side of the story.  And previous instances of something like this, have ended up to NOT be similar to the original, one-sided report.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/16/2019 at 8:05 PM, John&LaLa said:

Our BCBS policy has always reimbursed us for any emergency care aboard ship. Dont see the need for any supplement at this time

 

Is that medi-gap coverage or out-of-network employer insurance?  Either way it sounds great.  

 

My Cigna employer medical treats everything outside of the USA as out-of-network, with a deductible, and 20% co-pay.  Plus you have to pay first, then submit invoices.

 

Make sure you travel with a high credit line card for emergencies!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, steveru621 said:

 

Is that medi-gap coverage or out-of-network employer insurance?  Either way it sounds great.  

 

My Cigna employer medical treats everything outside of the USA as out-of-network, with a deductible, and 20% co-pay.  Plus you have to pay first, then submit invoices.

 

Make sure you travel with a high credit line card for emergencies!

 

Yes, we have the 20% copays. Laura is retired but not yet on Medicare. 7 more years or so

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, steveru621 said:

 

Is that medi-gap coverage or out-of-network employer insurance?  Either way it sounds great.  

 

My Cigna employer medical treats everything outside of the USA as out-of-network, with a deductible, and 20% co-pay.  Plus you have to pay first, then submit invoices.

 

Make sure you travel with a high credit line card for emergencies!

 

My BC/BS covers me outside the US.  And as far as I can figure out, having used it, they over things fully.   

 

And in Sicily, they accepted my card with no payment required.

 

But yes, in general, have sufficient credit to cover things, and claim when you get home.

 

Although, for major problems, call them, and they may get involved and do direct payment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A with the Coral Expeditions Team
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...