Crystal Endeavor vs Ritz Carlton Yacht

I’ve recently booked a B2B Lisbon to London on the upcoming RC yacht with my only concern being the time of year.  It will be June-July a period that we usually avoid traveling internationally to avoid heat, crowds, etc... but a new, gorgeous ship was appealing and we really like the itinerary.  Now I see Crystal has a new smaller ship The Endeavor coming and there is a similar itinerary but in late Sept., a much more preferable time for us.  I see that Crystal is addressing some of the aspects of their ships that I was disappointed in on my one Symphony cruise so I might be willing to try another Crystal cruise.  I really like the smaller ship size and larger staterooms and focus on cuisine, all possibly very comparable to RC.  I have tried searching this forum and don’t see much info about the new ship or much commentary from the Crystal veterans so I welcome any thoughts about Endeavor and any other factors I should consider in making my decision.  My DH and I don’t cruise very often, preferring land or air based trips so I want to make a careful selection.

I doubt that you are going to find much here on the Endeavor. No one really knows anymore than what you are able to find online. I will "speculate" (and that's all it is) that Ritz Carlton is venturing into something unlike anything they have done before whereas Crystal has 30 years experience with ships. I'd go with experience, but that's just me.

Patty

41 minutes ago, Texas Tillie said:

I doubt that you are going to find much here on the Endeavor. No one really knows anymore than what you are able to find online. I will "speculate" (and that's all it is) that Ritz Carlton is venturing into something unlike anything they have done before whereas Crystal has 30 years experience with ships. I'd go with experience, but that's just me.

Patty

I eventually want to try RC as it looks like it will be worth it. However like Tillie says, I'd prefer for now, until I hear differently, experience. I would wait until RC gets the bugs out. I'm sure right from the start Crystal will be up and running.

Plus you can't beat having Umi Uma onboard (Nobu's restaurant.)

Interesting. The itinerary you mention may be the one in which the experience may be difficult to differentiate from what you may get on RC. The main difference between the Endeavour and the RC yacht is that Endeavour is designed as a luxury expedition yacht with a focus on “expedition style” destinations whereas RC is touting its product as the equivalent of its hotels but on the water and will not leave the Atlantic basin.

Regardless of which one you might book, you are venturing into the "unknown" since neither line has experience in what they are selling. Our solution is that we have booked a cruise on each and we will see what happens. I am fairly sure we will be happy with both.

On 6/16/2019 at 7:15 PM, Roland4 said:

Regardless of which one you might book, you are venturing into the "unknown" since neither line has experience in what they are selling. Our solution is that we have booked a cruise on each and we will see what happens. I am fairly sure we will be happy with both.

We may actually end up doing the same.  We could just switch the RC to a different itinerary/date and still take the Endeavor London to Lisbon.  I may have to wait until more itineraries are released from RC, though.  Nothing else appeals to me right now.

On 6/16/2019 at 6:55 PM, claudiaYVR said:

Interesting. The itinerary you mention may be the one in which the experience may be difficult to differentiate from what you may get on RC. The main difference between the Endeavour and the RC yacht is that Endeavour is designed as a luxury expedition yacht with a focus on “expedition style” destinations whereas RC is touting its product as the equivalent of its hotels but on the water and will not leave the Atlantic basin.

Except in this case, the itineraries are very similar, pretty much a basic European one, perhaps with just different types of excursions offered.

We were on the Serenity a couple of weeks ago and the seas were rough in the Bay of Biscay.    We missed a tender port as a result.  Then we missed the replacement port.  We could still walk around the ship fairly easily though but no heels those nights!  However we have found the seas to be much rougher heading out through that area on a transatlantic from Southampton in the fall months.  

15 hours ago, Gourmet Gal said:

That would be a consideration.  Interestingly, there were just recently some very rough seas in that area.

Are you looking at this one in terms of Endeavor?

https://www.crystalcruises.com/voyage/london-to-lisbon-yen210928-11

If so, I think it is a nice time of the year to visit these areas.  Should be less crowded in port and weather with more moderate temperature.

Personally we try to avoid late June, July and August due to the heat/humidity and the flood of tourists.

In terms of the seas, no one can predict what they will be like.  I have sailed seas that are normally rough and they turned out calm and ones that are normally calm and they turned out rough.  We just prepare for them.

Whatever you decide, enjoy.

Keith

Yes, that’s the cruise.  We also usually do not do major trips in the summer but really liked the B2B Ritz Carlton itinerary.  Early Oct is our much preferred time of year for European land trips.  Not sure what to do as both ships look great.

• 3 weeks later...

Decided to book a Silversea Lisbon to London in May 2020 on the Cloud all-inclusive expedition.  Timing is much better and itinerary is similar.  So we’ve gone from the newest ship to one of the oldest (!) on that route.

On 7/8/2019 at 10:58 PM, Gourmet Gal said:

Decided to book a Silversea Lisbon to London in May 2020 on the Cloud all-inclusive expedition.  Timing is much better and itinerary is similar.  So we’ve gone from the newest ship to one of the oldest (!) on that route.

Actually, I think you probably made the best decision, in terms of booking a cruise ship which is a "known quantity."  I know I'm late to this conversation, but my advice to you is to pick your cruise on your availability, the itinerary, and the season, with the cruise line/the vessel simply as a tie breaker.  Trying to compare two ship that have not sailed is not really helpful or informative.  If you are comparing cruises with similar itineraries (London-Lisbon route), I personally would prefer early fall/late spring sailings instead of summer sailings.  The temperature would be more comfortable and there will be smaller crowds.  And in my opinion, many places are just much prettier in spring and fall.