Cruise Critic Community
Tcruising

Is it worth the cost?

Hello, my friend and I will be cruising on Carnival Pride soon. We are occasional drinkers, but we like frozen drinks, water and coffee. Do you know what is the average cost of these items on the Pride? Do you think we would make out better purchasing the Cheers program? 

Thank you 😊

3 minutes ago, Tcruising said:

Hello, my friend and I will be cruising on Carnival Pride soon. We are occasional drinkers, but we like frozen drinks, water and coffee. Do you know what is the average cost of these items on the Pride? Do you think we would make out better purchasing the Cheers program? 

Thank you 😊

It all depends on how much you drink. My hubby and I might have 3 alcoholic beverages per day while on a cruise, along with a coffee or two per day from the coffee bar. We order bottled water ahead of a cruise from the Fun Shops. Our TOTAL end of cruise bill last time was $343 but since I had $300 worth of OBC, my final bill was actually only $43. So, you be the judge if a very expensive drink package, that both you and your friend would have to buy, is worth it to you. To us, it is not worth it at all. 

5 minutes ago, Tcruising said:

We are occasional drinkers

That in itself says it all if you don't drink often, CHEERS! will not be worth it. 

5 minutes ago, Tcruising said:

frozen drinks

you would be better off buying the non-refundable Bar Credit or OBC.

6 minutes ago, Tcruising said:

water

You can buy a 12 pack of 16.9 fl oz bottled water for $4.50 + delivery fee for it Carnival to deliver it to your cabin.

It's about 860 dollars for two people to do cheers for a week. Only you can decide if it is worth it to you. If you buy onboard it is another 70 dollars above the 860 dollars.

Posted (edited)

When you say that you mostly drink water and coffee, keep in mind that you can get free tap water anywhere in the ship and free basic coffee in the Buffett and restaurants. Yes, if you have cheers you can insist on getting the bottled water and espresso drinks since they are included. But if you are fine with tap water and regular coffee then I wouldn’t add those into your calculations on what cheers would get you. And no, for an occasional drinker, I doubt that cheers would be worthwhile.

Edited by sanger727

The average cost for a frozen drink on the cruise is approximately $10.  Beer is about $6.  I don't know the price of a coffee from the coffee bar as I stick with the free coffee on Lido in the morning and I don't drink coffee after noon, except an occassional decaf in the dining room, which is also free for basic coffee.

From what you say, you will not benefit from Cheers.

Sodas are also included in cheers if you will be drinking any of them.

I can drink a lot, but have found on cruises I really don't and my alcohol costs is usually about $120 total.  Well below the cost of Cheers for me, much less than what it would cost for the wife and I since we'd both have to get it, and she can't drink more than a sip of mine due to stomach issues.   We also each bring our allotted bottle of wine on board, which is random as to if I'll drink them, or we leave them in the cabin afterwards for whoever, but that helps offset the cost if you like wine.

As for coffee, at home I'm usually just drinking from my drip coffeemaker, so I can live off the Lido deck free coffee no problem - I actually like it.    I think once I did get a Mocha.    Same with water - the free water works for us.  I'm usually drinking a tea/lemonade combo, also free on Lido.

Here are the bar prices that I remember from our cruise in Sept 2018, bar pricing is the same fleetwide for ships sailing out of a USA homeport. Not sure if there was an increase on any of these this spring (the usual timing for Carnival's price changes), but the norm increase is anywhere from $0.10-$0.50. 

$8.25 for Icy Inventions and Frozen Favorites 

$5.25 for virgin/non-alcoholic frozen drinks, slushies, and milkshakes

$5.00 for a large bottle of San Pellegrino sparkling water

$2.95 -$3.95 for specialty coffees, premium hot chocolate, and Art of Tea flavors

$0.50 per flavor shot to any coffee bar selection 

$1.95 for a 12oz can of soda, 10oz juice, or 0.5L bottled water

An 18% auto-gratuity will be added to the total of all beverage purchases.

Available for free 24/7 at the self service beverage stations on the Lido deck 24/7 of the cruise: regular and decaf coffee; Lipton's regular, decaf, and green tea bags; hot chocolate; and filtered tap water. Also available on the Lido deck from 6-10am apple and orange juice from concentrate, from 10am-late unsweetened ice tea, lemonade (very sweet) and a 10% juice "cocktail" that is very like Capri Sun passion fruit. Milk is placed out in school sized cartons during major meal times, and at other times can be requested to be retrieved from any counter buffet person. Milk choices include reduced fat, no fat, and reduced fat chocolate. Glasses of soy or almond milk can also be requested at any time.

Available for free at all restaurants during operational hours iced filtered tap water, iced tea, milk, milk alternatives (soy almond), unsweetened ice tea, coffee (reg & decaf) and hot Lipton tea bags. Additionally available during breakfast and brunch hours only orange, apple, pineapple, grapefruit, and prune juices.

From 6am-10pm room service will also deliver to your cabin free of menu charge any of the self service drinks, but a tip to the delivery person is the expected norm. After 10pm there is a delivery surcharge (and I believe  they now require a food order after that hour), and at all times other bottled or canned drinks will be at bar menu prices.

Thanks everyone for responding.

@maryred thank you for breaking things down for us. It’s very appreciated. 

My wife doesn't drink anything but water so Cheers would not make sense for us, but I drink what I want,  when I want as much as I want without keeping up with what I am spending. We usually do two specialty restaurants and incidental purchases along the way and out total spent at end of cruise is well below what we would have spent on Cheers. At most a heavy drinking day for me would be 5 or 6 alcoholic drinks but minimum would be two or three. No specialty coffees or milkshakes...well maybe one milk shake for entire cruise...but that would be it.