Ever have awful Table mates?

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

I also find that chatting around the table is best done between courses but especially after mains (Entrée for the Americans) and through dessert. If it is a good conversation, you will stay for coffee after the dessert, if not you leave.

I'll add to this that it's awkward to have someone try to initiate conversation (other than Hello, how are you?) before you've had a chance to look at the menu.  I hate having to cut someone off by saying I need to look at the menu, or worse having to make my choice quickly when the waiter shows up to take our orders.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, julie3fan said:

I'll add to this that it's awkward to have someone try to initiate conversation (other than Hello, how are you?) before you've had a chance to look at the menu.  I hate having to cut someone off by saying I need to look at the menu, or worse having to make my choice quickly when the waiter shows up to take our orders.

I find it easy to say uh-huh while browsing the menu.  So you pretend you are listening.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I find it easy to say uh-huh while browsing the menu.  So you pretend you are listening.

Pretending doesn't come easy to me.  I was taught to pay attention, and that lesson has stood the test of time.

20 minutes ago, julie3fan said:

Pretending doesn't come easy to me.  I was taught to pay attention, and that lesson has stood the test of time.

Maybe time to learn something new then?

On 6/17/2019 at 12:00 AM, SantaFeFan said:

We were traveling with a couple we were good friends with and who we have cruised with several times before when we got seated at a table with two other couples who were friends. Before we could order anything, the other four requested that we not order any alcohol with our dinner as their religion forbade them from consuming alcohol of any kind and did not want it on their table. We were shocked at their rude attempt to dictate what we could or could not order with our dinner. Of course, after careful consideration on our part, we increased our consumption by ordering two bottles of wine instead of the usual one. And we proceeded to thoroughly enjoy our wine with our dinners. We enjoyed dinner even more the next night when they apparently asked to be moved to another table, probably to get away from the blasphemous heathens they were stuck with the night before.

If they could not deal with people ordering drinks at their table, they should have had the common sense to request a table for four and saved everyone the discomfort of their wholly inappropriate requests. 

We would have done the same thing..more wine please!

2 hours ago, julie3fan said:

Yes, I agree I want to not only think about what I want to eat but what wine I want with it.

1 hour ago, Tonopah said:

Current score:

Awful Table Mates Thread - 14 pages

Wonderful Table Mate Thread - 2 pages

Mind you, the ATMT had a two day head start, but it’s still pulling away...

Nice summary,

Do you have the stats for tipping threads as well?😋

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, K32682 said:

If an overbearing dinner companion is irritating or offensive I reserve the right to adopt a contrary position to provoke and demean them.  If the conversation is boring I will disengage until Chatty Cathy has run out of string.  

Provoke and demean them?  Really?  Not that I'd ever force my political or religious opinions on others, but people who feel they need to "provoke and demean" are yet another reason I'll continue to request a 2-top.  

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Aquahound said:

Provoke and demean them?  Really?  Not that I'd ever force my political or religious opinions on others, but people who feel they need to "provoke and demean" are yet another reason I'll continue to request a 2-top.  

I will request 2-tops as well.  Should that not be possible I do not intend to idly sit there dining as some mouth-breather rants about Muslims, gays, minorities, Democrats, Jews or any other offensive subject.  Silence is consent. 

• Like 4

this is all very interesting. The number of topics that shouldnt be discussed is also fascinating.

Is sport OK? I never talk about my job, its dull enough when I am there, I wouldnt bore anyone else with it.

The thought of listening to someone insult every other race, creed, sexuality, etc would be too much to bear though, and I think i would end up insulting them back. Well i know I would.

I usually try to injecy humour into conversations, mainly be ridiculing myself, and my many faults. Uusally works.

The thought of sitting with six others in almost complete silence till the main cousre is finished is an awful prospect. I think i would just cracka  joke and see where it took us.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DarrenM said:

this is all very interesting. The number of topics that shouldnt be discussed is also fascinating.

Is sport OK? I never talk about my job, its dull enough when I am there, I wouldnt bore anyone else with it.

The thought of listening to someone insult every other race, creed, sexuality, etc would be too much to bear though, and I think i would end up insulting them back. Well i know I would.

I usually try to injecy humour into conversations, mainly be ridiculing myself, and my many faults. Uusally works.

The thought of sitting with six others in almost complete silence till the main cousre is finished is an awful prospect. I think i would just cracka  joke and see where it took us.

Not sure complete silence is required, a little chit chat is fine but as I said between courses.

8 hours ago, Tonopah said:

Current score:

Not sure this thread is indicative of much.  The next time you are on a cruise ship take a look at the table configuration in the MDR?  I do not recall ships where the predominant tables were 2 tops or even 4 tops.  The most common size seems to 6 tops with perhaps 4 tops and 8 tops coming in 2nd place.  Lastly you would have a relatively small number of 2 tops.  And then we have those at 2 tops that like to chat with folks at other nearby tables (I guess they are lonely or bored).  When we have cruised on Celebrity in Aqua Class we always would get 2 tops in Blu (which is predominantly 2 tops) which are spaced rather close to each other.  Most of the time the 2s would quickly find themselves in friendly conversations with the other nearby 2s.  But yes, there are always a few "loners" who will sit quietly by themselves...sometimes too busy texting to even notice their tablemate.  When I see a large table (8 or 10) with everyone laughing, smiling and having a great time it will either be our table or the one we want to join :).

Hank

9 hours ago, Tonopah said:

Current score:

This seems to indicate that, on average, the awful people who cruise outnumber the wonderful ones by roughly seven to one.  

Perhaps the thing to do is to try to identify ships which do not attract awful people.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Tonopah said:

Current score:

👍    it takes less effort to be negative 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Tonopah said:

Current score:

You have to build in an allowance for the Jerry Springer entertainment value.  😀

• Like 4

17 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

I also find that chatting around the table is best done between courses but especially after mains (Entrée for the Americans) and through dessert. If it is a good conversation, you will stay for coffee after the dessert, if not you leave.

I'm one of the few people in the world who does not drink coffee; can I continue the conversation if I have herb tea?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, ontheweb said:

I'm one of the few people in the world who does not drink coffee; can I continue the conversation if I have herb tea?

Certainly, we don' have coffee either but we often have a baileys.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, K32682 said:

I will request 2-tops as well.  Should that not be possible I do not intend to idly sit there dining as some mouth-breather rants about Muslims, gays, minorities, Democrats, Jews or any other offensive subject.  Silence is consent. 

I very highly doubt this all happened. In fact, I’m throwing the BS flag. You seem to be pushing an agenda rather than telling a truthful story. 

• Like 1