Ever have awful Table mates?

27 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

And that must be the reason that Carnival changed to paper tablecloths.

Tells me everything I would ever need to know about that cruise line and it's guests.

2 minutes ago, fyree39 said:

How many Carnival cruisers did you chastise in the public bathroom? Your bathroom tirades are what's wrong with our society today. So many have forgotten good manners.  Or never knew them in the first place.

I wouldn't know, I don't ask for their travel documents.  

Tirade is a rather strong term for reminding someone that they forgot something.  That their parents should have taught them and they should have had the good manners and personal hygiene to take care of to begin with.

19 minutes ago, ducklite said:

I wouldn't know, I don't ask for their travel documents.  

Tirade is a rather strong term for reminding someone that they forgot something.  That their parents should have taught them and they should have had the good manners and personal hygiene to take care of to begin with.

in loco parentis?

3 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

in loco parentis?

I took four years of Latin in high school.  I'm not sure it's even taught anymore.  And yes, in loco parentis when necessary to protect health and safety of myself and others.

We generally do Anytime/Freestyle, but somehow end up at the dining room at the same time each night.  We offer to join a large table if no 2-tops are available.  On one cruise, another couple apparently had the same idea.  Somehow... we ended up at the same exact table, with the same couple, 3 nights in a row.  Never met up at the hostess stand or in the hall, just one couple would already be seated when the other was led in.  It was strange!   By the third night, we'd all run out of our most interesting stories, and kind of floundered around.

On another cruise, we were seated with a friendly couple.  BUT, after we ordered our meals, they announced "it's time to pray".  OK, fine... we aren't religious, and usually just sit quietly while tablemates offer a prayer to whomever they choose.  THIS couple, however, GRABBED OUR HANDS, lowered their heads, closed their eyes, and began a long, long, long litany of thanks and blessings for their own health, marriage, their children, their pastor, a couple of friends in need of support, maybe even their dog, we lost track.

When one paused, the other would say "Praise God" and the other would pick up.  It went on for what felt like a VERY long time.  Occasionally squeezing our hands, perhaps to encourage one of us to take a turn.  DH and I looked at each other wide-eyed.  We were honestly too bewildered to pull away immediately, and after a moment it would have been even MORE uncomfortable... so we just sat there, with our hands growing sweaty, waiting for the Amen.

Dinner conversation didn't touch religion or politics, so that was good.  But now, we keep our own hands in our laps!

4 minutes ago, Sue Do-Over said:

We generally do Anytime/Freestyle, but somehow end up at the dining room at the same time each night.  We offer to join a large table if no 2-tops are available.  On one cruise, another couple apparently had the same idea.  Somehow... we ended up at the same exact table, with the same couple, 3 nights in a row.  Never met up at the hostess stand or in the hall, just one couple would already be seated when the other was led in.  It was strange!   By the third night, we'd all run out of our most interesting stories, and kind of floundered around.

On another cruise, we were seated with a friendly couple.  BUT, after we ordered our meals, they announced "it's time to pray".  OK, fine... we aren't religious, and usually just sit quietly while tablemates offer a prayer to whomever they choose.  THIS couple, however, GRABBED OUR HANDS, lowered their heads, closed their eyes, and began a long, long, long litany of thanks and blessings for their own health, marriage, their children, their pastor, a couple of friends in need of support, maybe even their dog, we lost track.

When one paused, the other would say "Praise God" and the other would pick up.  It went on for what felt like a VERY long time.  Occasionally squeezing our hands, perhaps to encourage one of us to take a turn.  DH and I looked at each other wide-eyed.  We were honestly too bewildered to pull away immediately, and after a moment it would have been even MORE uncomfortable... so we just sat there, with our hands growing sweaty, waiting for the Amen.

Dinner conversation didn't touch religion or politics, so that was good.  But now, we keep our own hands in our laps!

I would have gotten up and walked away.  I don't mind a short prayer, but don't expect me to join in, keep it short, and don't EVER just grab my hand.  

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Sue Do-Over said:

Praying is against my religion

• Like 1

I grew up in a church.  I wouldn't mind a short prayer but I wouldn't say anything.  Wouldn't want to sit there all night.

Another reason to not sit with people.  Right now I lean towards sharing a table.  My partner seems to want a 2 top.  (And I'm the introvert.)

Not quite table mate, but having lunch in a nice French restaurant.  A woman two tables away starts playing a very loud video.  I said "excuse me" but she was clueless.  She actually had the nerve to make pleasant conversation with me on the way out.  The nerve of some people!

9 hours ago, ducklite said:

If you think using a toilet and then washing your hands is "loitering," you need a new dictionary.  Besides, I'm a female, so you won't find me in the men's facilities. 

Ah my bad. Still, I will warn the wife that there may be a female loitering in the ladies.

6 minutes ago, DarrenM said:

Ah my bad. Still, I will warn the wife that there may be a female loitering in the ladies.

Before you do that you might want to look up the definition of the word "loiter."  

20 minutes ago, ducklite said:

Before you do that you might want to look up the definition of the word "loiter."  

And You might want to look up the definition of nosy Parker. 

Wait, let me save time:

nosy parker

noun

Definition of nosy parker

chiefly British, informal + disapproving

: a person who is too interested in what other people are doing : a nosy person

20 minutes ago, ducklite said:

Perhaps you might wish to look up the definition of 

in lo·co pa·ren·tis
(of a teacher or other adult responsible for children) in the place of a parent.
Your actions might be appropriate in correcting the actions of a child, but correcting the actions of other adults is inappropriate.  

3 hours ago, ducklite said:

Ok I think I know what "to loiter" means.

And I know you weren't and don't loiter.

But what you did say made me laugh as my imagination and humour took over and i pictures you loitering waiting to catch folk not washing their hands.

Now what you could have done was take.the ball i passed you and run with it and............oh i don't know........said that you had a squad of folk guarding all of the toilets armed.witj walkie talkies whispering "got one aft toilets deck 3"  or something and then the joke could have gone off at a really funny and strange angle.

Which is what I would have done

Maybe it's my British humour and love of comedians like Ricky Gervais and Stewart Lee and USA's seth MacFarlane and family guy.

Anyway. Apologies if I offended you.

3 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

Perhaps you might wish to look up the definition of 

in lo·co pa·ren·tis
(of a teacher or other adult responsible for children) in the place of a parent.
Your actions might be appropriate in correcting the actions of a child, but correcting the actions of other adults is inappropriate.  

adults have parents too.

6 hours ago, ducklite said:

I would have gotten up and walked away.  I don't mind a short prayer, but don't expect me to join in, keep it short, and don't EVER just grab my hand.  

5 hours ago, zitsky said:

I grew up in a church.  I wouldn't mind a short prayer but I wouldn't say anything.  Wouldn't want to sit there all night.

I would have got up immediately after the prayer and got some more sanitiser to clean my hands

14 hours ago, ducklite said:

I took four years of Latin in high school.  I'm not sure it's even taught anymore.  And yes, in loco parentis when necessary to protect health and safety of myself and others.

What you need to learn is not latin.   What you need to learn is "mind your own business"

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ducklite said:

Yes, don't ever grab your hand.  They might not have washed theirs during their last visit to the toilet.  The horror.