Ever have awful Table mates?

13 minutes ago, mom says said:

Well I suppose he could bring his own wee travel shakers. 

Sorry, On this hot afternoon,  I'm only following this thread as a fellow pax.

BTW, I like the word "wee" . (You are showing your Scottish/Canadian )😎

'Not used much in the States.😊

Edited by $hip$hape

16 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Thanks for that. 

This is the #1 thread and I thought you would appreciate a reference to the #2 thread. 

You are welcome.

No need to add/touch extra salt.

BTW, What is the #2 thread?

Edited by $hip$hape

1 hour ago, mom says said:

Quite aware of the cultural differences in dining customs in many different countries. However I don't believe we were discussing ships belonging to most of these places. Rather, the usual Cruise lines sailed by the majority of CC members. I am happy to conform to the cultural norms of any dning room (land or sea) in which I find myself. Is it really to much to expect others to do the same? There's no cultural excuse I'm aware of that mandates looking or sounding like a pig at a trough.

You will find cruisers from all cultures however. Anticipating everyone will strictly adhere to the cultural norms of the ship's country of registry might be expecting too much.  Proper table manners are not universally agreed upon.  

Edited by K32682

22 minutes ago, K32682 said:

You will find cruisers from all cultures.

Expecting everyone to adhere strictly to the cultural norms of the ship's country of registry

might be unreasonably.  

Proper table manners are not universally agreed upon.  

"Free food."

We have found it interesting.

One can only eat so much.

Before the end of our cruises we find,

less is more. 

Edited by $hip$hape

2 hours ago, Mike981 said:

Earlier (I understand why you might have not seen it) in this thread, I did share we were seated with another family of four that were a lot of fun. Our kids were close in age and all were able to dish out, AND, handle gentle kidding. We became FB friends and enjoy keeping in touch.

Eating with others is ripe to offend our sensibilities. We use all of our senses and it doesn't take much to take us out of our comfort zone.

Are you sure you posted that on this thread, doesn't sound too aweful to me. Perhaps it was the other thread about nice tablemates.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Are you sure you posted that on this thread, doesn't sound too aweful to me. Perhaps it was the other thread about nice tablemates.

I work retail. Maybe I am amazed at how people from all over the world next stopping taking care of you.

8 hours ago, K32682 said:

But what about all those other people who are in those toilets who might not wash their hands without anyone there to reproach them for their gruesomely unsanitary behavior?  They and their hands will be circulating among us, touching things, shaking hands, touching you, sitting at the same table, passing the salt shaker, relentlessly spreading their nasty germs to everyone.  Whatever will you do?  

Whats this obsession with a shaker of salt. It's not like it got lost. 

The extra sodium will probably kill you before the unwashed hands that pass the shaker.

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

LOL, could be for sure. That's what great about loosing brain cells. Everything is new.

• Like 2

On 7/17/2019 at 8:55 AM, gooch47 said:

The only really rude encounter I ever had was in a department store in Paris.  I asked in English where the restroom was.  I called it the bathroom.  Two clerks started saying "baaaathrooooom" over and over again.

Their reaction isn't surprising.  Maybe rude, but not surprising.  "Restroom" is largely an Americanism, and most non-English speakers learn British English.  Signs often refer to a public restroom as "WC" (short for "watercloset").  Chances are, he never hears that word, except from Americans, and doesn't understand what "resting" has to do with emptying your bladder.

I myself had a similar situation with the word "restroom" when traveling around Israel.  I needed to use the bathroom, so I went up to an information booth, and asked the worker where the restroom was.  He had no idea what I was talking about!  Luckily, I knew the Hebrew word "sherutim" (but not a complete sentence), so when I said that word in a question tone, he understood me, and pointed me in the right direction.  Interestingly, the door had "WC" written on it, along with "sherutim" in Hebrew letters.

That word literally translates as "services", and is basically a polite euphemism, like "facilities" or "men's  room".  It's what kids are taught in schools and tourists are taught in phrasebooks.  I'm sure most adult native speakers use a more casual term, though.

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

as long as they are not touching the salt itself, the shaker should be fine.

No doubt it will be fine but germaphobes are not rational.  They carry antiseptic wipes to meticulously scrub items hours after they were touched by someone else and rebuke complete strangers in public toilets for their hygiene protocol.  They would fret that a dirty hand passed the salt shaker and left germs on it that would transfer to their hand and enter their system.   

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, K32682 said:

No doubt it will be fine but germaphobes are not rational.  They carry antiseptic wipes to meticulously scrub items hours after they were touched by someone else and rebuke complete strangers in public toilets for their hygiene protocol.  They would fret that a dirty hand passed the salt shaker and left germs on it that would transfer to their hand and enter their system.   

Well that is why you have a napkin to hold the shaker.

*I'm going to start with, if you have a health reason the following does not apply*

This has been on my radar for a long time. You can be too clean. And anti bacterial anything, could be hurting you.

I spent a couple of decades as a radio announcer. Think about this for a moment. One microphone for several people, day after day. You are basically sharing a desk and talking into the same phone. I hear your shivering.

The announcer who came on after my morning show was a true germaphobe. They literally carried around THREE different sanitizing wipes. They were constantly sick. They even got written up, for taking so many sick days. I have actually worked with a lot of people like this. One guy carried a can of Lysol with him and would spray a lot of Lysol everywhere...including his own mouth. Okay, I'll stop.

Now my wife runs an in-home daycare. Multiple families and a dozen kids come in to our house, Mon-Fri from 7am to 5:30pm. Humans that have had varied paths to come to my house and all with different germs.

We might get one cold a year, we do get the flu shot so it's rare that we get that.
I could be all wet with my thinking, but I have seen to much in my almost 53 years to sway my thinking. And actually taking a moment to do some research, can possibly cause you to pause and think about it.

• Like 6

Perhaps another category of awful table mate would be the germaphobe who before each meal produces antiseptic wipes to scrub down their menu, cutlery, glasses and plate and uses a second napkin if they need to receive a condiment dispenser from another passenger.   I have yet to see such behavior on a cruise but have had people beside me on aircraft maniacally scrub down the armrests, over head bin latch, seat belt, IFE screen, etc. before takeoff.   

• Like 1

On 7/8/2019 at 4:56 PM, babs135 said:

He usually injects in the kitchen just as I'm dishing up. The problem is (and bear with us as this is new) that I think he's supposed to inject just before eating so on that basis if he did it before leaving the cabin it could be a little while before he actually started eating. I don't mean to hijack this thread and will probably ask for professional advice once we start cruising again. 

I was just curious if he would fall under the heading of an 'awful table mate!!!!

I also have T1 hubby.

If anyone thought him a bad table mate for 'insulin stealthing' (he discreetly injects insulin with a pen type needle under the table-designed so there is is no blood) I would consider them awful table mates. If they ever so much as mentioned it they would get a rather long lecture on the complications of diabetes from myself.

Health comes first. He tests his sugars in the cabin before we eat and afterwards also as that involves blood of course.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, K32682 said:

Perhaps another category of awful table mate would be the germaphobe who before each meal produces antiseptic wipes to scrub down their menu, cutlery, glasses and plate and uses a second napkin if they need to receive a condiment dispenser from another passenger.   I have yet to see such behavior on a cruise but have had people beside me on aircraft maniacally scrub down the armrests, over head bin latch, seat belt, IFE screen, etc. before takeoff.   

Yep! That's me on aircraft. With the short turnaround times there is no way planes get cleaned. I also ask the TSA staffer to change gloves before poking around in my CPAP or other carry-on. 

I also use hand wipes after returning the menu to wait staff. Hang out by the podium and see whether they are even wiped down, let alone cleaned. 

• Like 1