Charleston terminal and hotel assistance needed!

gigem_aggies

We are sailing out of Charleston for the first time next month.  This is new territory for us as we usually just drive to Galveston or New Orleans, but we are trying some new ports this cruise.

We will fly in the day before our cruise and are looking at one of the hotels downtown.  Right now, we are considering Hampton Inn or Embassy Suites, both of which are on Meeting Street.

Are these good options?  We really just want to see a few of the sights downtown and have a nice seafood dinner to get us in the cruising spirit!

Also, would we be able to just walk from the hotel to the terminal?  According to Google Maps, these are about .5 miles from the cruise terminal.  We have children, so ubering and taxis are difficult without bringing our own car seats.  However, our kids just walked all over Disney World for 8 days, so I have no doubt that they would handle a 1/2 mile walk like a champ!  Just wasn't sure if they actually allowed you to just walk up to the check-in building.

7 hours ago, gigem_aggies said:

We will fly in the day before our cruise and are looking at one of the hotels downtown.  Right now, we are considering Hampton Inn or Embassy Suites, both of which are on Meeting Street.

Are these good options?  We really just want to see a few of the sights downtown and have a nice seafood dinner to get us in the cruising spirit!

I live in the Charleston area.  Those hotel options are fine.  They are at the northern end of the touristy/historic downtown area where you will want to spend your sightseeing time, so without relying on Uber/cabs you'll probably walk a good bit to go back and forth, i.e. you sightsee during the day, go back to rest/freshen up, go back out for dinner etc.  Many of the popular sightseeing areas that are further down and closer to the port area include Waterfront Park, the Battery, Rainbow Row, the starting point for the carriage rides, the city market, and many of the restaurants though these daysthere are quite a few restaurants further up toward where your hotel is as well.  Your hotel will also be adjacent to Marion Square and there are often activities, events or festivals of some kind taking place there.  The hotels are also relatively close the SC Aquarium, and from there I believe you can also catch the ferry to Ft. Sumter and over to Patriots Point Maritime Museum in Mt. Pleasant, which are some additional popular tourist activities.

Although I've lived here 25 years I've never cruised out of the Charleston port so can't advise for sure on arriving on foot, but I'm almost certain you can.  Many people who stay in hotels closer to the port probably just walk over. ??