Laundry service on embarkation day?

surgie

We have purchased the 14-day laundry package for our cruise on NS. When we embark in Amsterdam we will have already been traveling in Europe for a week. Will we be able to send laundry (not dry cleaning or pressing) out on embarkation day or will we need to wait for the next morning?

Edited by surgie

As others have said, it is possible to send out laundry on embarkation day.  Like you, we often travel a week prior to boarding the ship, and have a week's worth of clothing to launder.  The first thing I do when we receive our luggage is load up the blue bag and leave it on the bed when we go for dinner.  It's usually back the next afternoon, or at the latest, the day after if they've been particularly busy.  Enjoy your cruise!

Smooth Sailing! 🙂🙂🙂

• Like 1

No problem sending laundry out first day upon embarkation.  Just leave it in the "blue bag" on your bed with your form filled out and you should get it back the next day.  Probably not early but in the evening though.  We choice unlimited laundry each cruise and it is well worth for us.

• Like 1

Not having done the laundry service previously, have you had any problems with how the clothes are washed or condition on return. I would suppose they wash in cold water?  Concerned with shrinkage or discoloration?  Thanks for the information.

We had laundry service on a cruise earlier this year, and I sent all sorts of "regular" clothes (nothing too delicate).  No issues with shrinking or fading. 

I don't know if they do cold water wash, but I've seen other people post that they will write things like "cold water wash" "delicate" or "low dryer" and the clothes come back in good shape.  It went well enough that I bought the laundry service for my upcoming cruise.  It lets me pack lighter and come home with less dirty wash.  As I'm a larger person, with correspondingly larger clothes, the "fill the bag for one price" special doesn't always work well for me.

On 6/18/2019 at 6:05 AM, lasman said:

Not having done the laundry service previously, have you had any problems with how the clothes are washed or condition on return. I would suppose they wash in cold water?  Concerned with shrinkage or discoloration?  Thanks for the information.

Write a note on your form “Cold Water Wash”. And if you want low heat dry add that also.   

Only one issue in all our cruises. We received a phone call about a piece of laundry and to come to the Front Desk for details. They brought out a shirt of my husbands that had been damaged, I think it had tear but I really don’t remember what happened.   The shirt was older and not a big deal. We got a credit for the damage. 

Thanks for the information. Since we will be gone from home for nearly three weeks, we may try the service. Hope the laundry room on the Amsterdam is still available also when we travel in July. 

On 6/18/2019 at 7:05 AM, lasman said:

I was a bit apprehensive about sending my laundry, but it has always been done perfectly, the "little" stuff folded & wrapped in tissue, the tops & pants on hangars.  I would not send items that have "glitter" or sequins, or other specialty trim.  

4 hours ago, calwriter said:

Can anyone give us an idea of the size of the bag for the everyday service? Big enough for two-three pairs of jeans?Grateful for an approximation of the capacity, it will help us with packing planning. 

For us it holds a days worth of clothes for two people including sleepwear, not much else.  I've squeezed in an extra pair of slacks or tops here and there.  Jeans take up more space.  It would probably hold 3 pairs of jeans but not much else but socks pushed in here and there.  You might be able to ask your steward for a second bag if you have extra laundry on embarkation day but I've never sent out 2 bags at a time so not sure this is doable.

5 hours ago, calwriter said:

Can anyone give us an idea of the size of the bag for the everyday service? Big enough for two-three pairs of jeans?Grateful for an approximation of the capacity, it will help us with packing planning. 

Whatever does not fit in the bag in the evening, just send out another laundry bag in the morning.

They are not large bags but, if you roll each item, one can pack quite a number of items in there.  This is important if you are paying "by the bag". If one chooses the unlimited package, then sending out another bag is a good option.  Just ask your cabin steward for another bag.

Unlimited laundry is all of the laundry you can stuff into a laundry bag twice a day (morning and evening).  It is picked up by your Room Steward when you are at dinner and breakfast (leave the bag on your bed).  You can turn inlaundry every day except the day before you disembark (this is sometimes waived and laundry accepted in the morning of that day).  Cost is $7/day/stateroom (7 day cruise would cost $49).  in locations other than in Americas, the cost should be $9/day/stateroom.

Bag price is $20/bag in the Americas and $30 elsewhere.

You can also pay by the item if you wish.

image.png.0eb68cd1d428400f79803032f614ceba.png

Edited by Crew News

On 6/17/2019 at 6:41 AM, surgie said:

We have purchased the 14-day laundry package for our cruise on NS. When we embark in Amsterdam we will have already been traveling in Europe for a week. Will we be able to send laundry (not dry cleaning or pressing) out on embarkation day or will we need to wait for the next morning?

Delete

Edited by awhcruiser

Laundry service on HAL ships is excellent.  Only once did I have a problem and that was discovered on the night before disembarkation.  I sent a pair of pants out to be laundered so that they would be clean for my long flight home.  For some reason, I decided that I ought to try the pants on before I went to bed--and after my luggage was in the hall for the crew pick-up.  The laundry had shrunk the pants!  In a panic, I opened my stateroom door with the hope of retrieving a bag.  Thankfully, the luggage had not yet been picked up and I was able to get a pair of pants that I could comfortably wear the next morning.

Having done several Behind the Scenes Tours on HAL and Carnival ships, specifying temperature wash/dry temperatures on your order form may or may not be observed.  Guest laundry is segregated from crew and general ship laundry, but the details of the temperatures used for wash/dry remain unclear to me.

We have personally never had an issue with damage to our clothes.  However, we met a couple from the Pinnacle suite in the Neptune lounge on our last cruise and chatted with them.  They had sent out laundry and the man’s sweater came back shrunk and damaged.  He was not happy as it was an expensive item.