Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
LynnTTT

Cutting in Line at Buffet- Discuss

Recommended Posts

I walk around the buffet first having a look at what is ón Offer. Before I decide what I want. I have never been in a cruise ship buffet where they only option.

 

From my observation they have everything repeated several times. Also generally there is usually no one at the end most sections.

 

Now if there is a line at the carvery or the omelet station then get in line, there should be no line cutting.

 

But if there are empty stations just walk up to them. I think it is crazy to stand in a line where what you want is 10 stations away and there is no one at that station.

 

Also I would never lean over someone to grab food or butter or whatever that too would be rude.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, slidergirl said:

I don't mind.   And, I think it's a matter of geographical custom.  My anecdote:

Back in the 80s (before I traveled to Europe), I went with 2 girlfriends to Club Med in Canun.  First lunch after arrival: all the Americans were lined up like dutiful sheeple at the food line for the buffet.  The Europeans were darting in and out, getting what they wanted and moving on.  The next day at lunch,  everyone started doing the "darting" maneuver - no one yelled, no one got indignant, and it seemed like no one waited longer than usual.   When I finally did a trip to Europe, I notice that the breakfast  buffet at hotels seemed to work the same way - dart in and out.  

If you've ever been to a European ski resort, sometimes lift line queues are just a suggestion...

Since then, I'll do a quick observation of the line and do what I see I can do.  If some loud-mouth American says something, I can say "I don't understand" in several foreign languages 😉

 

 

There's a bit of varying approaches in Europe itself too. Broadly speaking Brits will queue behind anything in an orderly fashion and if this is not respected then commence passive aggressive tutting and eye rolling, Italians are not one for queuing at all then Germans and Scandinavians do a good queue but get less angry about it than the Brits and so on.

 

To be honest, us Brits would queue behind a mannequin if you placed it strategically. 😄 

Edited by Velvetwater

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All rules are out the window when 1 person can’t make up their mind , asks questions and in unaware ( or could care less ) that they are holding up the line , pass them up without a 2nd thought .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, CruiseRonJulie said:

I see no problem with asking to get just one thing or another. My problem is the folks who put things back into the serving trays after having them on their plate. Also the people that each as they go along the buffet and have not idea that their fingers are now touching their mouths and every set of utensils in the line.

And the ones that bring their dirty plate back up for re-fills. I wish RCI would have a sign up about this...although those offenders may not notice !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I too don't like being served at the buffet.  Of course I do understand it when sickness is rampant on the ship, as in our recent Pearl cruise, but I much prefer to serve myself.

 

No matter what I asked for, it was usually too much or little or not the piece I would have picked up.  Yes, I did attempt to tell the server or ask for a different amount/ piece, etc., but that was seldom very satisfactory and slowed the line down.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Velvetwater said:

 

There's a bit of varying approaches in Europe itself too. Broadly speaking Brits will queue behind anything in an orderly fashion and if this is not respected then commence passive aggressive tutting and eye rolling, Italians are not one for queuing at all then Germans and Scandinavians do a good queue but get less angry about it than the Brits and so on.

 

To be honest, us Brits would queue behind a mannequin if you placed it strategically. 😄 

The crowd at Club Med from Europe were Spaniards, Germans, French, Italians.  So, that was a pretty good representation to me.    Club Med was a great place to observe behavior of other cultures 😉

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/17/2019 at 9:36 AM, navybankerteacher said:

If you see an opening at the station which has what you want, going to it is not really “cutting” because you are not causing the next person - who may be hemming and hawing over which slice of cheese to take - any delay:  you are simply not letting them delay you, you are not “cutting”.

 

Mindlessly standing in a buffet line to follow a “no cutting” rule, when stepping into a gap in the line would not delay anyone is, simply put, mindless.   Of course you should not “cut” in front of anyone - but you should understand what “cutting” is.

Good point. Plus a lot of food I am not interested in, so I by pass that.  But if someone is  about to get food that I want I wait my turn. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Ashland said:

And the ones that bring their dirty plate back up for re-fills. I wish RCI would have a sign up about this...although those offenders may not notice !

That is against public health standards. I am surprised staff does not say anything. Almost always I see officers in the buffet. I am surprised they did not address this. A few videos taken by other passengers and posted on social media would get them a big fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, slidergirl said:

The crowd at Club Med from Europe were Spaniards, Germans, French, Italians.  So, that was a pretty good representation to me.    Club Med was a great place to observe behavior of other cultures 😉

 

 

You mention 3 of our lesser queue trained European Amigos there...although Spain has a different spin on thing entirely. Certainly not representative of this 40+ country rich tapestry of a continent.

 

Despite my grumpy Brit appearances I do love my continent and everyone in it very much. We are all completely bonkers.

Edited by Velvetwater

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/17/2019 at 9:59 AM, klfrodo said:

At the end of the day, when you're lying there in your deathbed,,,,, does it really matter?

 

Yes!  I still remember that time in the spring of ‘73 when Jim cut in front of me.😉😉😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, slidergirl said:

The crowd at Club Med from Europe were Spaniards, Germans, French, Italians.  So, that was a pretty good representation to me.    Club Med was a great place to observe behavior of other cultures 😉

 

LOL.  You used "Club Med" and "culture" in the same sentence 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/17/2019 at 1:09 PM, Velvetwater said:

 

.

 

To be honest, us Brits would queue behind a mannequin if you placed it strategically. 😄 

That is so funny.

On another thread I was composing about how people rush the boarding area in airports and block the pathway.

A British gentleman commented that if he and his wife show up to the gate and there are no seats, he will start a queue near the gate, then his wife will join, then others will get up to join the queue, then he and his wife will go grab an empty seat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/17/2019 at 9:20 AM, LynnTTT said:

There's been lots of discussion about people cutting in line at buffets, especially when there are no "stations" .  When there is one line and maybe you only get plates at the entrance.

I agree that you should get in line for that first go-thru. But if I've gone thru the line once and just want to go back and get another scoop of potatoes or a hot dog does it make any sense to get back at the end of the line and pass 100 items of food in order to get to the one you want?

Assuming you can get plates at various spots in the buffet line, what's wrong with getting a plate, going to the line and asking "do you mind, I just need a piece of that chicken?", do it fast and then get out of line and go back to your seat (or go to another place in line).

Opinions?  Remember, I'm not talking about butting in at the beginning of the line.  And never at lines for any other reason.  Just a Lido type buffet line.

 

On 6/17/2019 at 9:29 AM, K32682 said:

There is nothing wrong with skipping the line to pick up a single item.  Nor is there anything wrong with going around a befuddled diner who has brought the line to a complete halt because they are unable to make up their minds.  You will however risk the disapproval or and public admonishment from anyone who believes otherwise. 

So, if I am happy to eat one item at a time, I never need to wait in line?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/17/2019 at 9:59 AM, klfrodo said:

At the end of the day, when you're lying there in your deathbed,,,,, does it really matter?

Then, I will let folks have "cutties"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, clo said:

LOL.  You used "Club Med" and "culture" in the same sentence 🙂

 

Well as someone who majored in Sociology and Social Geography, any place where I can observe behavior among various settings and cultures IS interesting to me.  

 

The non-queue for the buffet made sense there - all went fine.  But, maybe because it was majority non-Americans and those of us there adapted to the majority.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

 

Well as someone who majored in Sociology and Social Geography, any place where I can observe behavior among various settings and cultures IS interesting to me.  

 

The non-queue for the buffet made sense there - all went fine.  But, maybe because it was majority non-Americans and those of us there adapted to the majority.

Oh, I was just being silly.  Being the age that I am (old) Club Med was kinda the poster child for not exactly being high class 🙂  No offense intended.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As an American with experiences at several buffets over the years, I’ve found it really depends. Certain parts of a buffet will nearly always require lining up (e.g. carving station, build your own salad bar, omelet station, or any super-popular item where people are lining up to wait for their turn at that particular trough).

But other parts of the buffet are more “quick hits”. People will still sort of follow along the path of a buffet, most particularly on their first pass. But that’s largely because they’re assessing all of the options. But I’ve never once seen it be an issue if there’s a gap and someone pops in to get something. If you want something that has people at it, then you form a line wherever the next gap is at the end of that particular string of people waiting to pass that item. 

If there’s a gap, you’re not cutting. You’re not getting in anyone’s way. And you’re not needlessly waiting and standing in front of other items you DON’T want, and thus needlessly blocking them for someone who DOES want them. 

Similar would apply to a buffet at an event, like a wedding. In that case, for the first pass everyone waits in line. After, if you’re permitted to go up for seconds, you either wait in line if there is one, or you go right up to what you want and load up if no line exists. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, clo said:

Oh, I was just being silly.  Being the age that I am (old) Club Med was kinda the poster child for not exactly being high class 🙂  No offense intended.

I'm of that same age 😉   Fortunately, this particular Club Med was one of the new ones at the time.  It definitely was not the all-day/all-night drunkfest.  Lots of actually good activities.  Yoga every day, group runs, trips into Cancun proper, trip to Tulum.  Learned how to windsurf there.  Definitely not the hedonistic atmosphere like, say, Club Med Bora Bora or the ones on the Greek Islands.     My group did their "not exactly high class" trips out at Lake Mead, with lots of beer and Southern Comfort (nothing like a Southern Comfort hangover...).  Waterskiing and camping on the far side of the lake.  No queueing in line for food there!!! 

Edited by slidergirl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

I'm of that same age 😉   Fortunately, this particular Club Med was one of the new ones at the time.  It definitely was not the all-day/all-night drunkfest.  Lots of actually good activities.  Yoga every day, group runs, trips into Cancun proper, trip to Tulum.  Learned how to windsurf there.  Definitely not the hedonistic atmosphere like, say, Club Med Bora Bora or the ones on the Greek Islands.     My group did their "not exactly high class" trips out at Lake Mead, with lots of beer and Southern Comfort (nothing like a Southern Comfort hangover...).  Waterskiing and camping on the far side of the lake.  No queueing in line for food there!!! 

LOL.  Even though I'm originally from the South I've never had Southern Comfort...and don't intend 🙂  It's sounds seriously hangover-esque.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, clo said:

LOL.  Even though I'm originally from the South I've never had Southern Comfort...and don't intend 🙂  It's sounds seriously hangover-esque.

Trust me - it is BAD.  I'm not sure how we got into the Southern Comfort thing.  So seriously sicky sweet - that must have contributed to that "side effect."  Could be part of the reason that I cannot stand any whiskey (well that, and the 3/4 of a bottle of Jim Beam I drank one night of partying by the creek with other camp counselors)

Edited by slidergirl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

Trust me - it is BAD.  I'm not sure how we got into the Southern Comfort thing.  So seriously sicky sweet - that must have contributed to that "side effect."  Could be part of the reason that I cannot stand any whiskey (well that, and the 3/4 of a bottle of Jim Beam I drank one night of partying by the creek with other camp counselors)

Ya reckon?!?!?  LOL.  My kinda gal.  A couple of friends and I had a little bon voyage 'party' some decades ago.  Involving tequila.  The smallest of us didn't come to work for two days and it was a long time before I wanted to look at tequila.  I'm so glad we no longer have to do stuff like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Generally we avoid the buffet especially at main meal times (l didn't pay all that money to queue up to serve myself my dinner onto a plastic plate).

One day l do recall however, we were particularly hungry at lunchtime (we had overslept due to incorrectly resetting times when changing timezones). The buffet was very busy. We got our plates and then sought out a table. Very few spaces, but what got me irritated was one couple who had claimed a six-seater table, and were playing mah jong, with the tiles spread across the entire table. Their only concession to it being in the buffet was two coffee cups with a few cold dregs of coffee at the bottom.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sancho_proudfoot said:

Generally we avoid the buffet especially at main meal times (l didn't pay all that money to queue up to serve myself my dinner onto a plastic plate).

One day l do recall however, we were particularly hungry at lunchtime (we had overslept due to incorrectly resetting times when changing timezones). The buffet was very busy. We got our plates and then sought out a table. Very few spaces, but what got me irritated was one couple who had claimed a six-seater table, and were playing mah jong, with the tiles spread across the entire table. Their only concession to it being in the buffet was two coffee cups with a few cold dregs of coffee at the bottom.

 

You could have either spoken to ship staff about them or better yet gone to their table and said that you saw that there were some empty chairs at the table and did they mind sharing.  We do that when people are eating and there were empty seats and have never been rejected.  Why  not try it w people playing games.

 

DON

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • 2019 Cruisers' Choice Destination Awards
      • Forum Assistance
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a 7-day Caribbean cruise for two!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...