What's the best cruise line for dietary restrictions?

5 hours ago, clo said:

Do you know that's rather offensive?  Like really offensive?

I cannot help what does or doesn't offend you , that was not my intent. However, as someone once said -

Freedom of speech gives us the right to offend others, whereas freedom of thought gives them the choice as to whether or not to be offended

• Like 1

7 hours ago, clo said:

I would appreciate a Jewish person who can explain this correctly to speak up.

Explain what?

Explain why someone finds it offensive?  You'd have to ask that individual person - and I suspect it has nothing to do with Judaism (or Christianity, or any other specific religion).

On 6/29/2019 at 4:10 AM, calliopecruiser said:

Explain what?

Explain why someone finds it offensive?  You'd have to ask that individual person - and I suspect it has nothing to do with Judaism (or Christianity, or any other specific religion).

I don't know, I just can't see how the comment would be offensive.  Maybe just an overreaction.  

3 hours ago, ldubs said:

I don't know, I just can't see how the comment would be offensive.  Maybe just an overreaction.  

I used to know about this and no longer remember it.  There are super restrictive rules and regulations.  I don't know if it's Orthodox Jews or a different group, but if they're strictly observant on all the food rules then I'm guessing they can't go to 99% of the restaurants in the world.  And cruise ships would likely be the same.

4 hours ago, ldubs said:

I don't know, I just can't see how the comment would be offensive.

Well, having someone Jewish respond wouldn't tell you anything why that person is offended.

I'm Jewish - though I don't keep Kosher - and I didn't find it offensive, but that doesn't mean someone else (whether Jewish or not) might find it offensive. 

5 minutes ago, calliopecruiser said:

Well, having someone Jewish respond wouldn't tell you anything why that person is offended.

I'm Jewish - though I don't keep Kosher - and I didn't find it offensive, but that doesn't mean someone else (whether Jewish or not) might find it offensive. 

The offensive part to me, a non-Jew, is making light of another's religious practices.  Here's some info:

https://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/overview-of-jewish-dietary-laws-and-regulations

https://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/91119/jewish/Laws-of-the-Blessings-Before-Food.htm

2 hours ago, clo said:

I used to know about this and no longer remember it.  There are super restrictive rules and regulations.  I don't know if it's Orthodox Jews or a different group, but if they're strictly observant on all the food rules then I'm guessing they can't go to 99% of the restaurants in the world.  And cruise ships would likely be the same.

Orthodox Jews are the ones mostly to keep Kosher strict enough not to eat at most restaurants.  Other sects either completely ignore the rules or would be willing to eat in a restaurant but only order vegetarian meals.

I doubt the number of Kosher restaurants comes even close to 1% worldwide.  I doubt it comes close to 1% in places like NYC with large Jewish populations.  Even in Israel it is probably less than a quarter of the restaurants.

1 hour ago, clo said:

I still fail to see how my comment on my preferences is offensive. And if it is considered offensive, the issue is not with me but with the offended person.

I am all for religious freedoms but that doesn't give them (the religious person) the right to restrict my freedoms.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ed01106 said:

Even in Israel it is probably less than a quarter of the restaurants.

We chuckled at a restaurant in Tel Aviv.  The server made a point of telling us that they weren't kosher.  But they didn't have BLTs either 🙂

1 hour ago, clo said:

The offensive part to me, a non-Jew, is making light of another's religious practices.

I don't think it made light of anything.....it was just a personal statement that he didn't want what they had.  That's different than saying, say, that a religious tenet is a hoax, or that a spiritual leader is a fraud. 

21 minutes ago, calliopecruiser said:

I don't think it made light of anything.....it was just a personal statement that he didn't want what they had.  That's different than saying, say, that a religious tenet is a hoax, or that a spiritual leader is a fraud. 

I'm sure you're right.  I've been wonky on another site today also.  Apologies all around.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

I still fail to see how my comment on my preferences is offensive. And if it is considered offensive, the issue is not with me but with the offended person.

I am all for religious freedoms but that doesn't give them (the religious person) the right to restrict my freedoms.

I haven't found any of your comments offensive.  I'm not Jewish, but believe in tolerance.

• Like 1