Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Sujormik

Making early reservations for specialty restaurants?

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Hi all.  I've been trying to find out how to make reservations for the specialty restaurants on Quest.  We have some hugely expensive package that includes a Chef's Table dinner but I didn't even realize there were other restaurants and that we'd have to pay more for these.  My bad.

 

  How can I reserve things if I don't know what date the Chef's Table is?  Or do I book that date myself?  What about those special evening events....do I want to attend those? Will I feel resentful if I've selected one of those date for these $$ restaurants?  And how much do they cost anyway?  I've not found the website especially helpful and greatly appreciate the people who post here.

 

Thank you.

Edited by Sujormik

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can't book any of these specialty reservations until you board the ship.   Check out the Tips for Azamara Newbies above - a great source of info on dining and everything else.  You'll love Azamara. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sujormik said:

Hi all.  I've been trying to find out how to make reservations for the specialty restaurants on Quest.  We have some hugely expensive package that includes a Chef's Table dinner but I didn't even realize there were other restaurants and that we'd have to pay more for these.  My bad.

 

  How can I reserve things if I don't know what date the Chef's Table is?  Or do I book that date myself?  What about those special evening events....do I want to attend those? Will I feel resentful if I've selected one of those date for these $$ restaurants?  And how much do they cost anyway?  I've not found the website especially helpful and greatly appreciate the people who post here.

 

Thank you.

When you board your ship, go to the table where specialty restaurants are being booked ( just ask about it when you check in, or ask once onboard the ship where to go ); they have the chef’s table dates and also white night date.  You can book your chef’s table, and you can work your specialty reservations around white night ( don’t miss!!).  

You don’t have to eat at the specialty restaurants; food is wonderful in Discoveries and the Patio ( no extra charge).  That being said, the food is extra special in the specialty restaurants.  There are a few different discounted packages available, and you can find them at https://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/sites/default/files/pdfs/specialty_dining_flyer_070516.pdf

dining reservations can’t be mad3 until you board the ship 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, laurieb said:

When you board your ship, go to the table where specialty restaurants are being booked ( just ask about it when you check in, or ask once onboard the ship where to go ); they have the chef’s table dates and also white night date.  You can book your chef’s table, and you can work your specialty reservations around white night ( don’t miss!!).  

You don’t have to eat at the specialty restaurants; food is wonderful in Discoveries and the Patio ( no extra charge).  That being said, the food is extra special in the specialty restaurants.  There are a few different discounted packages available, and you can find them at https://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/sites/default/files/pdfs/specialty_dining_flyer_070516.pdf

dining reservations can’t be mad3 until you board the ship 

Thank you Laurie, my TA said to start making reservations but I guess most other cruise lines let you do that. Appreciate the calming words lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Whitby100 said:

You can't book any of these specialty reservations until you board the ship.   Check out the Tips for Azamara Newbies above - a great source of info on dining and everything else.  You'll love Azamara. 

Thanks, my TA suggested I was behind on making reservations so I got nervous lol. I have read the newbies thread, maybe not all the pages, but there seemed to be an inordinate amount of discussion about liquor and I drifted.😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sujormik said:

Thanks, my TA suggested I was behind on making reservations so I got nervous lol. I have read the newbies thread, maybe not all the pages, but there seemed to be an inordinate amount of discussion about liquor and I drifted.😉

Easiest thing to read for the information without the discussion is the spreadsheet

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15Deg-GaeZYLml8NN3PVwoh_jUkQ8QmYUe1wxnVAlODE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I understand your frustration.  If they sell dining packages, they should allow reservations. It would be better if Azamara would allow precruise bookings for the specialty restaurants. I can do it on other lines. We have tried to secure a table at Prime C with no success. My TA also tried and was shot down.  We selected our upcoming cruise to celebrate our 50th anniversary. When we booked almost a year ago, we had no idea that we would have to wait until embarkation to reserve a table. Just hope that we are not shut out for our date and time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Redtravel said:

I understand your frustration.  If they sell dining packages, they should allow reservations. It would be better if Azamara would allow precruise bookings for the specialty restaurants. I can do it on other lines. We have tried to secure a table at Prime C with no success. My TA also tried and was shot down.  We selected our upcoming cruise to celebrate our 50th anniversary. When we booked almost a year ago, we had no idea that we would have to wait until embarkation to reserve a table. Just hope that we are not shut out for our date and time. 

Even if initially they say no on your anniversary day, ask to speak to the Restaurant Manager (not the person taking the bookings) and I am certain space will open for your special day

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Redtravel said:

I understand your frustration.  If they sell dining packages, they should allow reservations. It would be better if Azamara would allow precruise bookings for the specialty restaurants. I can do it on other lines. We have tried to secure a table at Prime C with no success. My TA also tried and was shot down.  We selected our upcoming cruise to celebrate our 50th anniversary. When we booked almost a year ago, we had no idea that we would have to wait until embarkation to reserve a table. Just hope that we are not shut out for our date and time. 

We’ve never had a problem getting a date we want  - we go to the reservations desk as soon as we get onboard. Neither have we ever seen every table full in either restaurant on any night we’ve eaten there.

Although those who are in Suites can eat in the speciality restaurants every night, many people choose not to do so. For example many people won’t miss the Indian Night in the buffet, others enjoy the food and atmosphere in Discoveries (MDR) whilst others love eating in the open air at the Patio.

Lastly, as uktog says, Azamara will do their best to ensure you get a booking on the date you want.

 

Edited by Host Grandma Cruising

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You will see empty tables and the restaurant slated as fully booked.  It is not the table capacity it is the kitchen capacity that limits booking at a given timeslot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hope you are right. Usually I am very flexible. However, this is important. It seems strange to sell dining packages before the cruise and not allow dining reservations. Booked my shore excursions months ago. 

I have also been on the ship, tried making reservations in one of the restaurants without success. My butler got us a reservation last minute in the other restaurant. There were lots of empty tables in both restaurants.  Ate in the other restaurant and ordered off either menu. Same kitchen. Puzzled?  Crazy?  Think that Azamara could make better arrangements.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

We’ve never had a problem getting a date we want  - we go to the reservations desk as soon as we get onboard. Neither have we ever seen every table full in either restaurant on any night we’ve eaten there.

Although those who are in Suites can eat in the speciality restaurants every night, many people choose not to do so. For example many people won’t miss the Indian Night in the buffet, others enjoy the food and atmosphere in Discoveries (MDR) whilst others love eating in the open air at the Patio.

Lastly, as uktog says, Azamara will do their best to ensure you get a booking on the date you want.

 

Ooh, will they identify what night is Indian night? We don’t like Indian food, really the only ethnic food we don’t care for. That’d be a great night to do one of the others!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Sujormik said:

Ooh, will they identify what night is Indian night? We don’t like Indian food, really the only ethnic food we don’t care for. That’d be a great night to do one of the others!

The reservation desk will have the complete buffet theme schedule as well as White Night and Azamazing Evening dates.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, marinaro44 said:

The reservation desk will have the complete buffet theme schedule as well as White Night and Azamazing Evening dates.

 

Just now, marinaro44 said:

The reservation desk will have the complete buffet theme schedule as well as White Night and Azamazing Evening dates.

👍👍👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What is the benefit of buying one of these dining packages precruise? It appears you can’t make precruise reservations. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Redtravel — just be sure and tell them it’s your 50th Anniversary and I’m certain they will find a way to get you a reservation...and consider doing the Chefs Table for your actual anniversary — our first AZ cruise was our 30th Anniversary and by the time we got to the booking table the Chefs Table for that evening was full...of course we were disappointed but we later got a call that it had been worked out.  It was really fun celebrating with and meeting new people and at the end AZ brought us out a lovely cake.  We liked the experience so much we plan to do it again in July for our 33rd!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Redtravel said:

Hope you are right. Usually I am very flexible. However, this is important. It seems strange to sell dining packages before the cruise and not allow dining reservations. Booked my shore excursions months ago. 

I have also been on the ship, tried making reservations in one of the restaurants without success. My butler got us a reservation last minute in the other restaurant. There were lots of empty tables in both restaurants.  Ate in the other restaurant and ordered off either menu. Same kitchen. Puzzled?  Crazy?  Think that Azamara could make better arrangements.

 

5 hours ago, josumello said:

What is the benefit of buying one of these dining packages precruise? It appears you can’t make precruise reservations. 

 

 

The packages aren’t sold pre cruise, only once onboard.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The dining packages are sold before the cruise.  Why buy them if you cannot be sure that you can get a reservation. I have been on the Journey when getting a table was really tough.  On one cruise, we never managed to get a table.  I like Oceania's way of prebooking specialty restaurants. Each cabin gets a set number of reservations that can be reserved online before the cruise. Oceania does not charge extra for specialty dining.  They do hold back some reservations for people who do not use computers.  After everyone gets a reservation, you can request additional reservations.  On longer cruises, I usually ask for more reservations. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve never seen them available to purchase pre cruise here in the states.  

The trick to getting your reservations is to get them when you board the ship, especially if you have a specific day in mind.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got an email from Azamara, they would sell me the 3 Table tour if I pay now, but if I use obc I have to wait til we are on board.  And they said you can't use obc at all before boarding but I used it to pay for an excursion so there's that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

You can buy the Indulgence package beforehand which includes either Chef’s Table or a 3 Table tour of the speciality restaurants.

 

Are they strict about not using all three at the same specialty restaurant?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Getting into chefs table can often be difficult on shorter cruises.  They do not offer it every night.  Back to back people can sometimes cause it to be sold out before new people get on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a $3,000 Norwegian Cruise Line Gift Card
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...