Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I think it is a complete service.  But, the important thing is the count!  Seriously, we miscounted by one pair of socks and our whole bag of laundry was returned to us---twice!  This delayed our laundry by a whole day.  I wish they had just called us and said "we got a different count on socks".  I would have said FINE---we'll go with your count!

Edited by SLSD
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, SLSD said:

I think it is a complete service.  But, the important thing is the count!  Seriously, we miscounted by one pair of socks and our whole bag of laundry was returned to us---twice!  This delayed our laundry by a whole day.  I wish they had just called us and said "we got a different count on socks".  I would have said FINE---we'll go with your count!

Ah so *that's* the laundry story :) I remember we had a debate as to whether we needed to fill the count in at all as the itemised form seemed to be priced by the piece and the bag was just, the bag. So I believe we jotted down on the room pad what we'd stuffed in the bag, roughly, checked the 'one bag-o-laundry' box and sent it with nothing else filled in. As far as I know it all came back both times. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

There is actually more to the laundry story Rols.  The first bag came back to us because we were one pair of socks off on the count.  I was in a hurry--but for some reason, thought I had to redo the whole count.  (Ditzy me).  I filled out a new form and checked the WRONG box!  When the laundry came back, they had charged me $167.00 for the bag of laundry!  (I had failed to mark the "bag of laundry for $50 box).  I took the form to Guest Services along with the original form on which I had check the CORRECT box for the $50 bag of laundry.  Guest Services made it right--and we were only charge $50.  The next bag of laundry we sent came back---once again, we were one pair of socks wrong on the count...

 

By the way, on Ovation last summer we had also done the $50 bag of laundry---and we did not do a count at all.  The laundry was done and that was that.  I mentioned this on Sojourn and they looked at me like I had two heads. 

Edited by SLSD
Link to post
Share on other sites

The laundry comes back ironed and on hangers.

 

If you want to do your own on the Sojourn or Quest, there are machines, often available.  Smart folks order some champagne to sip while their undies spin clean and dry.

Link to post
Share on other sites

An old laundress in a luxury hotel once explained to me that the underwear ironing is a tradition dating to way back when underwear was bulkier and stiffer  and there weren’t so many easy care synthetics, primarily so it would lie neatly in the clothing chests, as laundry in civilized households should!

It is of course nice to get it ironed and flat in a basket with surrounding  tissue paper , like a Christmas present, but I would be happy to pay a little less and get my already small underwear in a simply washed  state even if in a jumble ( that’s how it is at home).  So I guess I am an uncivilised hick.

 

However, I am delighted that my linen blouses transform from sweaty, wrinkled sack stuffers into beautiful,  lightly starched and ironed, ready to wear luxury pieces.

 

You can also ask for shirts to be folded, instead of hung, or not starched at all.

 

I save my laundry receipts or take an iphone snap of them until items are back, due to occasionally missing pieces.  

 

A tip: Do not give laundry to wash within two days of disembarkation because you will not have time to dispute errors ( this once led to a loss of an expensive pair of unique linen pants). Either wash on your own, use your laundry line, or leave it for home.

 

Also try and do your best to make it easy for laundry folks, so do proper counts ( you get better accuracy and visualization of dark sock counts in the morning than after evening cocktails with suite mood lighting ) and keep special instructions you write down simple, as laundry crew  English may be limited.

 

A couple years ago on Quest a zealous laundress was so intent on reconciling what she thought was an incorrect trousers count that she violated the Do Not Disturb sign while I was bubblebathing, she bizarrely came  in and argued with me about them, as if it could not wait.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Wanted to add a comment about dry cleaning on the ship.  The Quest crew does a wonderful job but here's the interesting part - I had three items dry cleaned during our last cruise and the cost was $14 US.  When I got home I had the same things done at my local dry cleaner and it was $26 US.  My game plan for next cruise - bring all my dry cleanable things from home - Seabourn does a better job and it is cheaper.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We used the laundry/dry cleaning service quite a bit on our Ovation cruise just a few weeks ago.  We only had one problem which Seabourn took care of very quickly.  We learned that the dry cleaning is a wet cleaning which works well for most things....but not good for true silk.  My one silk blouse did shrink and the finish was not smooth.  As soon as I reported it, the head of the laundry department was at my cabin door. It was all made right with few questions and when I presented an online receipt for the garment, the entire purchase price was credited to our account.  They did ask me to relinquish the ruined blouse.  I thought that was a fair deal as I was able to replace the blouse on returning home.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
45 minutes ago, cruzluvers said:

Should you bring your own laundry detergent or do they provide it.  Do you have to use quarters, buy tokens or is it complimentary?

Seabourn provides laundry detergent pods, and it is free. No quarters or tokens. They don't supply fabric softener sheets for the dryer, so you would need to bring those if you want them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/19/2019 at 6:16 AM, SLSD said:

the "bag of laundry for $50 "

 

I see that a bag of laundry is $50. Is there any kind of daily rate for the whole cruise, such as $XX / day? Also, how large is the bag for the single $50 rate?

 

Thank you for any information. We are thinking about a Seabourn cruise, but have no frequent cruiser bennies.

Edited by PSR
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, PSR said:

 

I see that a bag of laundry is $50. Is there any kind of daily rate for the whole cruise, such as $XX / day? Also, how large is the bag for the single $50 rate?

 

Thank you for any information. We are thinking about a Seabourn cruise, but have no frequent cruiser bennies.

The laundry bag may not look very big, but it is amazing how many items of clothing can be stuffed into it!  My husband and I had no difficulty putting in all of our clothing that needed laundering.  I think you will be pleased at the value. 

 

Unfortunately, there is no daily rate.  Of course passengers who have reached a certain number of days cruising with Seabourn can get a free bag of laundry, or, at some levels, free laundry. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SLSD said:

The laundry bag may not look very big, but it is amazing how many items of clothing can be stuffed into it!  My husband and I had no difficulty putting in all of our clothing that needed laundering.  I think you will be pleased at the value. 

 

Unfortunately, there is no daily rate.  Of course passengers who have reached a certain number of days cruising with Seabourn can get a free bag of laundry, or, at some levels, free laundry. 

 

Thank you for the quick response. Was hoping for a daily rate rather than the one bag at a time. On our usual cruise line we have unlimited laundry due to the loyalty program, so that feature is hard to beat if we try a new line. I do know that Seabourn has passenger laundries, but that's not one of my favorite cruise activities...😐

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PSR said:

 

Thank you for the quick response. Was hoping for a daily rate rather than the one bag at a time. On our usual cruise line we have unlimited laundry due to the loyalty program, so that feature is hard to beat if we try a new line. I do know that Seabourn has passenger laundries, but that's not one of my favorite cruise activities...😐

Amazingly on most cruises we take we end up making good friends and dinner companions from people my wife, the long-suffering Mrs Rols, meets in the laundry room. It's a remarkably social piece of the ship, they need to put a bar in. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, PSR said:

 

Thank you for the quick response. Was hoping for a daily rate rather than the one bag at a time. On our usual cruise line we have unlimited laundry due to the loyalty program, so that feature is hard to beat if we try a new line. I do know that Seabourn has passenger laundries, but that's not one of my favorite cruise activities...😐

 

 

I totally agree laundry is not one of our favourites either. Thankfully we have laundry included due to loyalty to Seabourn.

 

I have never seen a daily rate  so the "stuff a bag" is your best option. At least they have that, when we sailed on Silversea for the first time we had the shock of doing laundry and they don't have any special deals such as the $50 bag. It was a reality check that we will have to deal with on our QM2 cruise as well.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, rols said:

Amazingly on most cruises we take we end up making good friends and dinner companions from people my wife, the long-suffering Mrs Rols, meets in the laundry room. It's a remarkably social piece of the ship, they need to put a bar in. 

 

I agree with you...have met (mostly) nice people in the laundry rooms!

 

11 hours ago, frantic36 said:

when we sailed on Silversea for the first time we had the shock of doing laundry and they don't have any special deals such as the $50 bag. It was a reality check that we will have to deal with on our QM2 cruise as well.

 

Yes, the $50 bag is better than the (ala carte?) price of $167 one of the posters I earlier quoted said, since she forgot to check the "bag" box on the laundry slip. I guess they charged her by the piece. My husband enjoys the included laundry on our favorite cruise line so much that when I mention trying a new line, he asks, "is laundry included?" 😊 And he doesn't even do clothes laundering...probably because I would correct anything he'd do. 🤔

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Holiday Exchange - Jingle and Mingle 2020
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • Q&A with Chris Prelog, President of Windstar Cruises!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...