Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
dubaihammer

3 Drinks only in Diamond Lounge

Recommended Posts

30 minutes ago, The Sunset Glow said:

 

But on Adventure it's not just checking your card - they are actually taking your card and scanning it for every drink you order in the DL. This was happening in May when we were on and it was for every drink for every person.

 

So they've been scanning cards for drinks in the DL on Adventure since April but the OP is saying since June 1st they are scanning your card and limiting you to 3 drinks only in the DL. This is something entirely different on this ship if this is true.

 

 

Just curious, where were they scanning your card?  Did they use the bar-code or mag-stripe?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, nelblu said:

On my August '18 Anthem's cruise, they must have had interlopers on previous sails sneaking in from the Music Hall.  Not only was the D L Concierge asking to see your Sea Pass, but also the waiters wanting to see proof before taking your drink order.  This went on for the 1st few nights and then stopped. 

 

 I am happy to see them do that, I have no problem with it.  It's a shame they have to...but it becomes necessary when some pax try to cheat the system.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, steveru621 said:

 

 

Just curious, where were they scanning your card?  Did they use the bar-code or mag-stripe?

 

When getting a drink from the waiter they take your card when you place your drink order and return your card when they bring your drink. Adventure also had a make shift bar in the lounge and they took your card to scan when ordering there. I didn't look closely at the scanning machine but assumed it was similar to what they use at other bars.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, The Sunset Glow said:

 

But on Adventure it's not just checking your card - they are actually taking your card and scanning it for every drink you order in the DL. This was happening in May when we were on and it was for every drink for every person.

 

So they've been scanning cards for drinks in the DL on Adventure since April but the OP is saying since June 1st they are scanning your card and limiting you to 3 drinks only in the DL. This is something entirely different on this ship if this is true.

 

I seriously doubt they are limiting to three drinks, but even if they are scanning your card...more power to them.  It proves where the drinks are actually being served and to whom,  and keeps the interlopers out.   Staff is just protecting the perks you have earned.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, lovelife said:

On Explorer through June 9 and can confirm they did not ask for our cards (or anyone around us) in the Diamond lounge.

 

They didn't on Mariner either two weeks ago.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, island lady said:

 

 I am happy to see them do that, I have no problem with it.  It's a shame they have to...but it becomes necessary when some pax try to cheat the system.  

And yet, on my January 11 niter on the same ship, no such oversight.  I guess it may be random or on certain sails.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, nelblu said:

And yet, on my January 11 niter on the same ship, no such oversight.  I guess it may be random or on certain sails.

 

That is my guess also.  If the staff on various ships determines that too many are sneaking in...it's an easy way to fix it.  😉 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, The Sunset Glow said:

 

When getting a drink from the waiter they take your card when you place your drink order and return your card when they bring your drink. Adventure also had a make shift bar in the lounge and they took your card to scan when ordering there. I didn't look closely at the scanning machine but assumed it was similar to what they use at other bars.

 

I think Adventure still uses the mag stripe when you order a drink at the bar.

 

Scanning probably used the Bar-code that is used for towel checkout and port on/off ship.  If that was the the case they were probably just counting.  JMHO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, island lady said:

 

That is my guess also.  If the staff on various ships determines that too many are sneaking in...it's an easy way to fix it.  😉 

Not that easy on the Anthem as the Music Hall is the overflow for the DL and non Ds are allowed in that area especially since it has pool tables.  The only way is to close the Music Hall to non Ds during the 3-3.5 hrs. or have some staff member closely monitor the flow of Pax.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, what is the problem?   

 

I believe the benefit lists access to a lounge ( or a nightly event)  and no specific benefits listed, in fact no mention of alcohol at all.  Wouldn't it be hilarious if they kept the lounge but discontinued the alcohol.   From the original post,  I wonder if they were just keeping track, or actually limiting  drinks to three.   

 

This is from the website regarding a nightly event ( on Majesty) and the lounge on all other ship except Empress.  Empress has no lounges or event, just three vouchers:

 

........6. The Exclusive Nightly Diamond Event is a benefit for only Diamond, Diamond Plus and Pinnacle Club members and cannot be extended to include friends and family. The event will take place approximately between the hours of 5:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. Three nightly drink vouchers will be loaded on the member’s SeaPass card to be used in venues throughout the ship

 

7. Diamond Club is an exclusive benefit for only Diamond, Diamond Plus and Pinnacle Club members and cannot be extended to include friends and family. Complimentary specialty coffees are only available in the dining room on days when breakfast is being served. On ships where a Diamond Club is available there will be no Exclusive Nightly Diamond Event or complimentary Specialty coffees available in the dining room. The Diamond Club is designated as a smoke-free area. We respectfully request that guests observe a Smart Casual dress code when visiting the Club (no swim or pool attire is allowed, footwear is required at all times). Guests younger than 21 years must be accompanied by a parent or guardian at all times. Guests and friends of Diamond, Diamond Plus and Pinnacle Club members are not allowed into the Diamond Club due to limited space. ........

 

Cheers

M

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, steveru621 said:

 

I think Adventure still uses the mag stripe when you order a drink at the bar.

 

Scanning probably used the Bar-code that is used for towel checkout and port on/off ship.  If that was the the case they were probably just counting.  JMHO

 

Yes, who knows. There’s a reason why they are doing this on a few select ships and we are left to guess why. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MandyMooToo said:

We have always taken both cards to order two drinks also.  Never thought it could be done any other way.

 

 

Agree

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So how many passengers actually  try to sneak in to a  lounge?  I meet so many  cruisers that don't have a clue about a lounge or what  Diamond member means. 

 

We had a funny elevator ride  with a know it all and his friends.   We were at  the elevator bank and  one looked at the listing of venues on each floor and   asked, "What is the diamond club"  Mr. know it all replied, "oh that is the card room."  I just chuckled to myself.

 

M

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

During Oasis cruise (9-June) they have asked for the card when ordered the first drink , IT was done everyday , sometime they asked for two cards , sometime they took only one card. They only took it with the first drink order . The explanation was to track inventory, I guess its also another way to check if people allowed in the DC or not. I do not think they had any limit for number of drinks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, dubaihammer said:

The following is being reported on the Royal Caribbean Crown and Anchor Facebook Group page:

" Currently on Adventure. According to crew, loyalty ambassador, concierge and guest services , the following changes were implemented on 6/1. In diamond club you MUST give them your card to swipe for your 3 and 3 only free drinks. Also with drink package now, one drink per card at a time only . No more ordering drinks for couples on one card."

 

I was on the Adventure for 34 nights from 4/27 to 5/31.  The staff in the DL REPEATEDLY told everyone ordering drinks that the card scanning was ONLY for inventory purposes, and did NOT limit the number of drinks you got in the DL.

 

Yes, due to inventory control, they want a seapass card for every drink, and to make sure everyone ordering is entitled to order.  Not a problem, IMO.

Edited by pcur

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Crism said:

There is NO DRINK LIMIT in the Diamond Lounge, even on Adventure.  We spoke with the Concierge in May, and she stated 5 ships were selected for an internal audit which requires them to swipe for every drink.  It's for tracking purposes ONLY and does NOT use your 3 nightly drinks.  My first hand experience can deny this claim.

Agree.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, island lady said:

There are some ships that have problems with "sneak ins"...friends, relatives of Diamonds that have not attained that level, or just walk ins behind members.  In that case, I believe it is easier for them to just ask to see your card in the pretense of "having to run it"...but it is really just a clever way to enforce the Diamonds only rule.  I have no problem with it.  Saves more seats for those that actually belong in there.  

Agree. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, The Sunset Glow said:

 

Yes, who knows. There’s a reason why they are doing this on a few select ships and we are left to guess why. 

I have my own thoughts on this. I believe they are simply tracking every single drink you order for liability purposes. Before, you drank all you wanted in the Dl and you could leave and go do all kinds of stupid things, like, I don't know, jump overboard? Accountability. They want to track it so that if you sue them for breaking your leg on the pool deck they have a defense that, no, Mr Doe, we are not liable because our records show you had 17 cocktails in a 2 hour period. It's all recorded. This goes for all bars, restaurants, and now the DL. Good for them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

So how many passengers actually  try to sneak in to a  lounge?  I meet so many  cruisers that don't have a clue about a lounge or what  Diamond member means. 

 

We had a funny elevator ride  with a know it all and his friends.   We were at  the elevator bank and  one looked at the listing of venues on each floor and   asked, "What is the diamond club"  Mr. know it all replied, "oh that is the card room."  I just chuckled to myself.

 

M

 

 

 

Plenty try to sneak in.  On the Adventure, since the Viking Crown is the overflow, they leave the DL door open for the first hour-ish.  I overheard people talking about how there were appetizers in "that room", and let's go get some.  I watched people just try to casually walk in, but walk out again when they had to show their seapass card to get in or order a drink.

 

The worst I ever saw was on the Serenade.  The Hollywood Lounge was used as an overflow, and had a separate exit door.  A man would stand out there every night, wait for someone to come out, and then sneak in, go sit at the bar and order drinks.  The bartender assumed because he was in there, he was Diamond, etc.  If the Concierge bothered to show up, he wouldn't come in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cruisegirl1 said:

 We were at  the elevator bank and  one looked at the listing of venues on each floor and   asked, "What is the diamond club"  Mr. know it all replied, "oh that is the card room."

 

 

 

May as well be....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, island lady said:

 

 I am happy to see them do that, I have no problem with it.  It's a shame they have to...but it becomes necessary when some pax try to cheat the system.  

I totally agree.

Our loyalty is rewarded by the DL access and I am happy to show my D+ seapass card anytime I am asked to prove we have earned the right to enter the DL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

I totally agree.

Our loyalty is rewarded by the DL access and I am happy to show my D+ seapass card anytime I am asked to prove we have earned the right to enter the DL.

I agree - I never mind showing my card in order to receive any  benefit.  

m

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, BNBR said:

 

May as well be....

?????

You think the DL is more like the  card room?  OK, but I don't see the similarity.

M

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have been buying the package for years.  Never have I been able to get both of us a drink with one package.  I can take both our cards and get drinks for the two of us, but need both cards

 

as for as the DL - never has there been a limit.  Never have to give them our card.  We are on Navigator next weekend so we will see, but I highly doubt that a 3 drink min in the DL is a new rule.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, pcur said:

 

Plenty try to sneak in.  On the Adventure, since the Viking Crown is the overflow, they leave the DL door open for the first hour-ish.  I overheard people talking about how there were appetizers in "that room", and let's go get some.  I watched people just try to casually walk in, but walk out again when they had to show their seapass card to get in or order a drink.

 

The worst I ever saw was on the Serenade.  The Hollywood Lounge was used as an overflow, and had a separate exit door.  A man would stand out there every night, wait for someone to come out, and then sneak in, go sit at the bar and order drinks.  The bartender assumed because he was in there, he was Diamond, etc.  If the Concierge bothered to show up, he wouldn't come in.

Where is the Hollywood lounge on serenade? The vcl was used as the overflow venue for the dl on serenade this past Feb.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...