Cruise Critic Community
Wayne Humphreys

Retreat on revolutionized Celebrity ships .

Looking for comments on Celebrity’s concept of allocating top forward deck to suite guests only .  They refer to this area as the retreat deck.

3B8E40EF-3C27-4FBA-B9ED-3CF80D459786.jpeg

Suggest you read previous threads on this very board. The subject has been done to death. You might need a couple of hours to read them all. 

The "retreat" areas of X ships are just the latest wrinkle in amenities for suite guests. The provision of those amenities has, indeed, been an ongoing topic of CC debate, led only by "dress code" and "smokers". Of course, Celebrity is not the only major cruise line to provide some additional level of service to those willing to pay for it: RCL and Princess offer special dining options; NCL and MSC have the "ship-within-a-ship" concept allowing for total separation. IMO it's about attracting cruisers who find the smaller ship luxury lines (Silversea, Regent, Oceania, etc.) lacking in onboard entertainment and activities.

We enjoy X suites and the amenities they offer, namely more space, dining in Luminae, and Michael's Club...now renamed the Retreat Lounge. And we'll soon try the Retreat Deck on Summit. Celebrity's pricing of suites continues to climb as amenities are added and in any number of instances, we could switch to a luxury line with little if any impact on cost. But reading the "dailies" of those lines shows an absence of onboard activities, and for us that's part of the fun of cruising. We enjoy multiple bar options, large production shows and other venues not available on smaller luxury ships.

If you do peruse the many threads about suite amenities and guests, you'll find references to "second-class passengers", "steerage" and such, from those who feel Celebrity is creating a tiered passenger system. But suite amenities do not diminish the quality of the non-suite passenger experience and are available to anyone who is willing to pay for them. We know couples who cruise several times a year and occasionally splurge on a veranda. We tend to cruise once a year and splurge on a suite. Our annual cruise budgets are probably about equal. It's all about personal preference and perceived value.

I do not like that retreat is two decks above pool except for edge , since I like the pool.

Is this similar to The Sanctuary on Princess Ship where you can reserve a lounge chair?

I haven’t read of  reserving chairs.  We had the opportunity to visit the Retreat on the Edge and the afternoon we were there reservations would t have been necessary, plenty of seating available.

On the M class ships (I was on the Summit) it is very weather sensitive.  We went for sailaway and when the ship was moving it was incredible windy.  We went again for lunch when in port and it was quite cold (for Bermuda!).  There is a glass partition in front but for some reason it did not really help with the wind (this was on the upper level).  We didn't go down to the lower level where the lounge chairs and mini-cabanas (or whatever you call them, pods?) were.  On a hot sunny day there is little to no shade so it would be extremely hot.  There were only a handful of people that we saw up there.

5 hours ago, Pickels said:

Is this similar to The Sanctuary on Princess Ship where you can reserve a lounge chair?

No, the Sanctuary is open to all--well, to all who can get to the desk on embarkation day before all the chairs are reserved. 😃

I would also like to know any comments 

1 hour ago, Airrace said:

I would also like to know any comments 

There have been a number of threads discussing this topic.

On 6/18/2019 at 11:51 AM, Wayne Humphreys said:

Looking for comments on Celebrity’s concept of allocating top forward deck to suite guests only .  They refer to this area as the retreat deck.

3B8E40EF-3C27-4FBA-B9ED-3CF80D459786.jpeg

The sign is wrong.  Only suite guests, not retreat guests are allowed to hangout on the retreat sundeck.  There is even a class system in the retreat... 😉

That’s right, and I am surprised they would make such a blunder.  For whatever reason, the retreat deck is not open to everyone who has access to the Retreat Lounge

Hmmmm is it possible that they are opening the Retreat Deck to the cruisers who get The Retreat Lounge?  

1 hour ago, WestLakeGirl said:

That’s right, and I am surprised they would make such a blunder.  For whatever reason, the retreat deck is not open to everyone who has access to the Retreat Lounge

On the July 5 Summit we were asked by the Suite Manager to leave the Retreat Sun Deck in spite of the fact that there were NO other passengers anywhere. I pointed out the fact that we are a Retreat Guest and that is what the sign says. I emailed Andrea Shey the Director of Loyalty with this explanation. I received an automated message that she was traveling with limited internet. Do not expect a timely response. Why am I not surprised?

26 minutes ago, cruising teacher said:

On the July 5 Summit we were asked by the Suite Manager to leave the Retreat Sun Deck in spite of the fact that there were NO other passengers anywhere. I pointed out the fact that we are a Retreat Guest and that is what the sign says. I emailed Andrea Shey the Director of Loyalty with this explanation. I received an automated message that she was traveling with limited internet. Do not expect a timely response. Why am I not surprised?

Sorry June 5 on the Summit. Definitely a cruise I want to forget!

Honestly, we were in our first suite in May on Summit, and other than loving the room and Luminae and our butler, we thought the Abbott and Costello act in the Retreat were abysmal.

The two of them alone would make me not ever want to book a suite again.  How they got their positions I'll never know.

It has been well documented from before the first sailing of Edge that the Retreat Sundeck is for Suite passengers only, not others who are extended access to the Retreat lounge.   I was surprised to find out on our May sailing when someone in the Retreat lounge was talking about drinks on the sundeck not being complimentary like in the lounge.  Now I think that is really stupid. 

I also agree that the signage is a major blunder.

1 hour ago, wrk2cruise said:

It has been well documented from before the first sailing of Edge that the Retreat Sundeck is for Suite passengers only, not others who are extended access to the Retreat lounge.   I was surprised to find out on our May sailing when someone in the Retreat lounge was talking about drinks on the sundeck not being complimentary like in the lounge.  Now I think that is really stupid. 

I also agree that the signage is a major blunder.

Didn’t actually know that - other than Zeniths, who has access to the Retreat Lounge when not in a suite?

24 minutes ago, cangelmd said:

Didn’t actually know that - other than Zeniths, who has access to the Retreat Lounge when not in a suite?

I think some high stake gamblers.

Sometimes there are “VIP” passengers of some sort, although I don’t know who that might be offhand

16 hours ago, WestLakeGirl said:

I assume you are speaking of Zenith passengers?  All suite guests are allowed in both....unless something has changed that I've not heard about.

1 hour ago, WestLakeGirl said:

zenith and VIP passengers

And Sapphire and Ruby level guests with Blue Chip Club.

On 6/19/2019 at 9:39 PM, wrk2cruise said:

I was surprised to find out on our May sailing when someone in the Retreat lounge was talking about drinks on the sundeck not being complimentary like in the lounge.  

I thought the Premium Alcohol Package was now standard for suite guests.  Since the area is restricted to suite guests only, how can they charge for drinks?