What is in your travel First Aid kit?

JC in CA

Starting to think about all the little stuff for our upcoming fall Panama Canal cruise.  Wondering what everyone takes in their bags for first aid.  

So far I have:

bandaids

antibiotic cream

antacids

sunscreen

aloe for sunburns

bug repellent

tylenol

advil

thanks for all your thoughts!

Jerie

Good list, Jerie! Some of those things can be purchased onboard -- but some can't.  Another couple of things that come in handy, if you -- or anyone you're traveling with -- is prone to seasickness: Bonine tablets and some form of ginger (I personally like Trader Joe's Ginger Mints).

• Like 1

Cold medicine (dayquil/nightquil)

Any OTCs that you use at home

I keep a general packing list in my computer.  I don't plan to buy any OTCs on board -- too costly or may not be available.

• Like 5

Great list so far.   A couple of other things we add because we have chronic arthritis pain issues:   an old-fashioned ice bag (can use hot or cold) and lidocaine pain patches.   

• Like 1

3-COMPARTMENT 
BATHROOM BAG:
Placquers
Sewing Kit
Emery Boards
-----------------
Chlorasceptic   Lozenges
Mucinex DM pills
nonstick gauze pads
Adhesive tape
Nu-skin tape
Skin wrap
Ace Bandage
Tums
Talcum Powder
-----------------
Small Bottles Tylenol
Ibuprofen
Benadryl 
Peptobismal     chewables
RX: Transcope   patches

Those are all "dry"; in "wet" 3-1-1 bags:

Neosporin
DEET bugdope
Afterbite 

Benadryl cream

Coldsore treatment
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Kartgv said:

:   an old-fashioned ice bag

My paramedic friend found a mini one at the dollar store, (softball size, when filled with ice). 

I got myself one, and bring it now, along with an ace bandage to hold it in place in case of knee or ankle pain or injury. 

Also - an extra contact lens case. Learned that one the hard way. Nothing available on the ship, but I found a fellow cruiser who had one and shared.  One lives in my permanently packed cosmetic case now. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JC in CA said:

Starting to think about all the little stuff for our upcoming fall Panama Canal cruise.  Wondering what everyone takes in their bags for first aid.  

So far I have:

bandaids

antibiotic cream

antacids

sunscreen

aloe for sunburns

bug repellent

tylenol

advil

thanks for all your thoughts!

Jerie

Benedryl, Immodium, Tylenol Cold, Visine, Cortizone, Icy Hot

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JC in CA said:

Wondering what everyone takes in their bags for first aid.  

I'm supposed to take things in my bag for first aid?

Seriously:  there are a few bandaids and some triple antibiotic cream in my toiletries bag, and some Advil in my knapsack.  I add some anti-seasickness medication for cruises.  Other than that, it's just my prescription meds and an extra contact lens case.  I'm not going on a hiking adventure or into a backward rural country-side......I'll be able to find what I need should something happen, either from the ship's store, medical department, or somewhere at a port.  I'd rather risk spending an extra $10 or $15 than have to decide on the time and space to pack something I probably won't need.

(I didn't include sunscreen, which I do take, because I don't consider it a "first aid" item.  It's more like my daily face cream or toothpaste - a necessity to use before, not a way to fix a problem after.)

• Like 2

Eye drops, cold sore medicine, benadryl, Imodium, bandaids, antibiotic cream, cortisone cream, decongestant, pain reliever, antacid, pain cream, sea-sick meds.  Toenail clippers, a pair of tweezers, a very small eyeglass screwdriver.  It all fits in a pouch not much larger than my extended hand.  Separately, and even smaller, I carry a sewing kit:  needles, thread and some safety pins.

I have carried this stuff around for awhile and have never used most of it.  I think it makes just as much sense to buy it when you need it.  Even at elevated prices it can't be more expensive in the long run to get it as needed than to have to throw it out unopened and buy new.

Unless you need it in the middle of the night and the stores are closed.  I DO like to be prepared so maybe I'll just keep carrying it around.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, calliopecruiser said:

Seriously:  there are a few bandaids and some triple antibiotic cream in my toiletries bag, and some Advil in my knapsack.  I add some anti-seasickness medication for cruises.  Other than that, it's just my prescription meds and an extra contact lens case.  I'm not going on a hiking adventure or into a backward rural country-side......I'll be able to find what I need should something happen, either from the ship's store, medical department, or somewhere at a port.  I'd rather risk spending an extra $10 or $15 than have to decide on the time and space to pack something I probably won't need.

(I didn't include sunscreen, which I do take, because I don't consider it a "first aid" item.  It's more like my daily face cream or toothpaste - a necessity to use before, not a way to fix a problem after.)

Our entire "what if" meds fit easily in a gallon zipping bag.

8 hours ago, calliopecruiser said:

We've learned to take some of our known brands of things like allergy medication (Allegra for example) as we have been in countries where the pharmacist spoke little English and all instructions for dosage and use are in a foreign language that doesn't even use the same alphabet set as we do.  I also would never rely on a ship's store to be open or stocked when I need something. 

Everything we take fits into a sandwich sized Baggie.  

Edited by ducklite
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, clo said:

Exactly!

1 minute ago, ducklite said:

We've learned to take some of our known brands of things like allergy medication (Allegra for example) as we have been in countries where the pharmacist spoke little English and all instructions for dosage and use are in a foreign language that doesn't even use the same alphabet set as we do.

Yup, it can happen, and there are apps for that!  When I forgot my prescription meds on a trip to Europe, I was able to buy replacements behind the counter but non-rx, even though the pharmacist didn't speak much English.....I knew I was very fortunate, and was actually going to ask the pharmacist for a doctor's office who did speak English, but it turned out I didn't need an rx after all.   

Yes, you might not be able to get your known brand or favourite OTC product, but I'm OK with that. 

5 hours ago, ducklite said:

We've learned to take some of our known brands of things like allergy medication (Allegra for example) as we have been in countries where the pharmacist spoke little English and all instructions for dosage and use are in a foreign language that doesn't even use the same alphabet set as we do.  I also would never rely on a ship's store to be open or stocked when I need something. 

Everything we take fits into a sandwich sized Baggie.  

Better is to learn what the chemical name is, so you can buy overseas.

Dosage is the same in mg, so you do have to figure that out.  Google translate (with the camera function) can help with that.

The one thing I have seen only mentioned once, but missing from most lists, is Ducolax or similar.

Everything thinks of diarrhea, but serious constipation can be an issue also.

I also carry these for electrolyte replacement.  Both for hot weather (one or two a day is all you need) or if you get serious diarrhea.

https://www.amazon.com/Sqwincher-ZERO-Qwik-Stik-Electrolyte/dp/B011OU3C04

Much better for you than the sports drinks.  Less sodium, no sugar, and higher potassium.

1 minute ago, SRF said:

Better is to learn what the chemical name is, so you can buy overseas.

Dosage is the same in mg, so you do have to figure that out.  Google translate (with the camera function) can help with that.

Or you can just bring a small supply of things you might need.  I have no problem giving up a sandwich sized space in my suitcase for a small emergency medical kit.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, clo said:

really? Must not have very many meds.

There are three of us (2 adults, 1 kid), and our meds fit into 3 gallon sized ziplock bags. One per person. We dedicate an entire backpack to carry these 3 gallon bag.