What is in your travel First Aid kit?

3 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

really? Must not have very many meds.

There are three of us (2 adults, 1 kid), and our meds fit into 3 gallon sized ziplock bags. One per person. We dedicate an entire backpack to carry these 3 gallon bag.

I probably wasn't clear.  The "what if" bag is unlikely to ever be opened.  It's for "what if I cut my finger, get a cold, get bitten by a bug, etc."  The things we take regularly are in their own bag(s).  And for up to 14 days we don't take our rx bottles but rather use these:  

Pill Holder, Clear, Plastic

OTC cold/ flu meds I’ve learned to do the math on. So many doses times so many days on the ship times 2- me and my wife. I have had that stuff and was grateful for the continuous dosing that allows. After all, that’s what we do with prescription drugs. 

5 minutes ago, clo said:

I probably wasn't clear.  The "what if" bag is unlikely to ever be opened.  It's for "what if I cut my finger, get a cold, get bitten by a bug, etc."  The things we take regularly are in their own bag(s).  And for up to 14 days we don't take our rx bottles but rather use these:  

yeap, 3 gallon sized bags are mostly what-ifs. My DH has 2 prescription pills per day, while DS and I got none.

7 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

yeap, 3 gallon sized bags are mostly what-ifs. My DH has 2 prescription pills per day, while DS and I got none.

What's in them please?

13 minutes ago, clo said:

That looks great for daily OTC meds. But, traveling with Rx meds -- especially if those include anything on the 'controlled substance' list -- you might re-think leaving those bottles, with their original Rx, at home.

3 minutes ago, wwcruisers said:

That looks great for daily OTC meds. But, traveling with Rx meds -- especially if those include anything on the 'controlled substance' list -- you might re-think leaving those bottles, with their original Rx, at home.

I know but I don't and haven't in years and years.  I have copies of the rx's but have never needed them.  I also have had great success getting a needed rx from pharmacists all over the place.  As I mentioned above, I've found every pharmacy has someone who speaks enough English for me to get by.  But thanks.

I have an every-day carry first aid/emergency kit that I carry in my purse, so I'd probably just bring that.

It's got basics (inhalers -- steroid and albuterol, benedryl and sudafed, tylenol and ibuprofen, stuff to calm tummies (activated charcoal pills (for when you eat something you think might make you ill, sometimes they can help), papaya enzyme, antacids, and zofran, as a last resort for emergencies), immodium, Would care (bandaids, some duct tape wrapped around a business card, which is amazing for blister prevention, antibiotic cream, cortizone cream) a few safety pins, and a small ace bandage (because I can twist my ankle while sitting still at a conference table -- it's my superpower).

14 minutes ago, clo said:

What's in them please?

pretty much what was covered by previous posters in this thread.

Stomach pills of all kinds (for upset stomach, antacids, stool promoting, diarrhea stopping, gas relief, probiotics...)

Cold (children's and adult) - measured out by dosage per day for 2 adults and 1 kid just in case

a huge variety of bandaids and similar first aid things, like gauze pads. We really-really need them (DS is accident prone - he hit his head on the nightstand last time and had a rather big gash above his ear, for example)

Sting free Antiseptic spray - comes in very handy with a kid

Alcohol swabs

Hydrocortizone and antibiotic creams

Burn relief

Thermometer (we once were caught empty handed in the middle of the ocean with DS having a high fever)

Echinacea  and Vit C for cold prevention - works like a charm

Allergy pills (3 kinds - some are not kid friendly)

Ibuprophen and tylenol (kid and adult)

dramamine

1 separate bottle with DS's chewable Vit C, probiotics, fiber, children's vitamins - measured out for a week at sea.

+ 2 of DH's prescriptions

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy
38 minutes ago, clo said:

Something like that might even work for emergency OTC not just daily medicines.  eg. Sunday aspirins, Monday - anti-motion sickness, Tuesday - cold medicine, Wed - antacid etc.  

54 minutes ago, SimplyMarvie said:

I have an every-day carry first aid/emergency kit that I carry in my purse, so I'd probably just bring that.

It's got basics (inhalers -- steroid and albuterol, benedryl and sudafed, tylenol and ibuprofen, stuff to calm tummies (activated charcoal pills (for when you eat something you think might make you ill, sometimes they can help), papaya enzyme, antacids, and zofran, as a last resort for emergencies), immodium, Would care (bandaids, some duct tape wrapped around a business card, which is amazing for blister prevention, antibiotic cream, cortizone cream) a few safety pins, and a small ace bandage (because I can twist my ankle while sitting still at a conference table -- it's my superpower).

Wow!  You must have a large purse 🙂

29 minutes ago, clo said:

Wow!  You must have a large purse 🙂

Some women (particularly those with multiple young children) carry purse that some of the budget airlines in Europe would consider too large for carry on luggage 🙂🙂🙂

12 minutes ago, ed01106 said:

Some women (particularly those with multiple young children) carry purse that some of the budget airlines in Europe would consider too large for carry on luggage 🙂🙂🙂

Which leads me - TOTALLY OFF TOPIC - to the fact that once I become Czarina of the Universe I will remove all overhead bins on all airplanes 🙂

6 hours ago, ed01106 said:

LOL!

I realized when reading other people's lists that part of my reasoning in not taking such things with me is that I don't use those things at home.  So......I don't really see the likelihood of needing it on a cruise.  I don't have those things in my own home, and I can't remember the last time I used something for stomach upset, a sunburn, or constipation (for instance)

5 minutes ago, calliopecruiser said:

LOL!

I realized when reading other people's lists that part of my reasoning in not taking such things with me is that I don't use those things at home.  So......I don't really see the likelihood of needing it on a cruise.  I don't have those things in my own home, and I can't remember the last time I used something for stomach upset, a sunburn, or constipation (for instance)

You make a good point.  We also only carry those things that we MIGHT need at home.  

PS:  I'll try to remember to take a pic tomorrow of our "what if" bag 🙂

6 minutes ago, calliopecruiser said:

We have a winner!

LOL.  Well, that's in our luggage but not "what if."  Maybe I should have a "when" bag 🙂

2 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

Double points if it's a TSA-approved corkscrew (no blade for the foil), so you can avoid checking a bag.

Why do you not want to check a bag?

We just like knowing that everything we need gets off the plane with us.

We have worked out a way to make this happen for us. It did not happen in one trip, or rather it did happen BECAUSE of one trip. My job is to pack. Some years ago we were headed to Ireland for a bus trip around the south of the island. I had cross-packed and seeded items in our smaller carry-ons and TWO checked bags. Neither of which came off the carousel. When I realized that WE COULD DO WITH what was in the smaller bags... my life changed, our lives changed. Although the missing large bags were delivered to our hotel later that evening we never packed so heavily again. 

2 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

That and a bottle opener is in my toiletries.

Same here.  I use a small train case and it's got a TSA approved corkscrew, a few safety pins, nail clippers, tweezers, mini sewing kit, blister plasters, mini eyeglass repair kit, emery board, a couple of Bandaids, mini body glide, and packets of Immodium, Advil, and Zantac that live it it always and are replaced as needed on return from a trip.  My company name badge is also in it so I absolutely can't forget it when on company travel.  🙂

I travel internationally for work, about 40% of the time.

I HAVE used Imodium (just the other day), Ducolax, antibiotic cream, hydrocortisone cream, chewable Pepto, Benadryl, eye drops, lip balm, sunscreen (and failed to use it a couple of times), after sun products, Mucinex DM, cough medicine, electrolyte replacement, and a few other things.

But I do not carry that many of each.  All of mine fit in less than a quart bag, including my prescription meds (in weekly organizers).