What is in your travel First Aid kit?

JC in CA

5 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Funny you should say that but you can now buy wine in cans (here in Australia anyway).

can.png

I've seen them but didn't buy first off. But hey, 10 or 12 oz is a better deal than the 6.3oz ready-to-drink Copa di Vino I always pick up on the way to Utah, although not as cute:

1593540785_CopadiVino.JPG.8713726d076df98fe8a04867f2c1b5df.JPG

57 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

I've seen them but didn't buy first off. But hey, 10 or 12 oz is a better deal than the 6.3oz ready-to-drink Copa di Vino I always pick up on the way to Utah, although not as cute:

1593540785_CopadiVino.JPG.8713726d076df98fe8a04867f2c1b5df.JPG

These ones look better than the plain cans though.

22 hours ago, SRF said:

But how about something that starts the first of 3 sea days.  Suffer for 3 days until the first port?  Or a TA?

Buy it on the ship.   Are there really people who would suffer rather than spend $20, just because it only costs $3 at home?  To me, that's foolishness.  Yes, the unexpected happens, but on a cruise there are ways to deal with it.  You may not like the cost, but solutions exist.  Your options are to think about all the things that might happen when you're home and pack contingencies that still might not cover what you're going to need, or to deal with it at a higher cost when you're traveling.   I'll choose the latter, because a) it might not happen, b) I hate wasting things, buying meds (like those for constipation) that might expire if I never need them, and c) I might not have packed what I end up needing anyway.

On 6/21/2019 at 11:13 AM, clo said:

But give me an example of that?  Seriously.

What you said -

am really comfortable looking for something like "cough medicine" on shore.

I was pointing out that you may not be able to jump off and go to the shop.

Our last cruise, we left on Thursday.  Friday - Sunday were at sea, arriving at port on Monday morning.  How do you get off the ship while at sea?

Or can you only get sick when there are port days?  Or maybe you only take very short cruises.

10 minutes ago, SRF said:

What you said -

I was pointing out that you may not be able to jump off and go to the shop.

Our last cruise, we left on Thursday.  Friday - Sunday were at sea, arriving at port on Monday morning.  How do you get off the ship while at sea?

Or can you only get sick when there are port days?  Or maybe you only take very short cruises.

After a self-imposed hiatus from cruising, we will focus on port intensive.  But push come to shove I can always buy something like OTC cough medicine on the ship.  Our next cruise will have one of 12 days at sea.  Our one next spring will have none.

On 6/21/2019 at 11:13 AM, clo said:

But give me an example of that?  Seriously.

diarrhea.

Migraine.

Fever.

Buy it on the ship. 

ahh, but I've never seen any children's medications on the ship. And the adult meds are severely limited.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

8 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

diarrhea.

Migraine.

Fever.

ahh, but I've never seen any children's medications on the ship. And the adult meds are severely limited.

Aren't migraine meds prescriptions that one would bring with them. The others, were we prone to them, would be in our "what if" bag. Along with common children's meds.

1 hour ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

diarrhea.

Migraine.

Fever.

I think if you have any of these things and do not have your own meds (as a chronic sufferer of these ailments) then a trip to the medical bay on the ship would be best.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

I think if you have any of these things and do not have your own meds (as a chronic sufferer of these ailments) then a trip to the medical bay on the ship would be best.

Yup - if you're facing something that doesn't usually happen to you and for an unknown reason, that makes sense.  And for kids?  Sure, they're a special case, but I still believe you don't need anything other than what you regularly take at home.  If Children's Tylenol is in common use at home, then by all means bring some, but if your child has a fever on the ship, best to see the doctor IMO rather than regret you didn't bring any Children's Tylenol in case an unexpected fever happens.

Edited by calliopecruiser
spelling
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

well, I thought the point of this entire thread was to talk about the meds YOU SHOULD BRING WITH YOU, instead of trying to buy them at the ship's store if you suddenly need them.

So, of course, I bring everything we may need with us, but a couple of you have been trying to tell us not to bother.... Why would I want to pay $300-400 to see a doctor on the cruise, if instead I can give my child ibuprofen and see him fever free 20 minutes later?

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

So, of course, I bring everything we may need with us, but a couple of you have been trying to tell us not to bother.... Why would I want to pay $300-400 to see a doctor on the cruise, if instead I can give my child ibuprofen and see him fever free 20 minutes later?

Well, I think that some folks may have missed your point about traveling with young children. Even ships that stock things in their shops for adults, don't usually bring things that you might need for a baby or toddler. When we recently cruised with our toddler DGD, our advice for her parents was: Bring everything that you think you could possibly need -- because you're unlikely to find it anywhere onboard (even on family-friendly RC). So, I think that you have the right idea, given your particular set of circumstances.

Edited by wwcruisers
  • Like 1

I buy tiny zip lock bags.  One and two inch sizes. I put a few days of dayquil, nyquil, ibu, imodium, tums, dulcolax,  zofran, phenergan in them. I get vertigo, so have to be prepared.   Label with sharpie.  I take bandaid, neosporin and blister pads. Eyeglass kit, individual eye drops, nail supplies, motion sickness meds. It all fits in my insulated  mug so no extra room We take full size sunscreen. 

Edited by SheriAZ
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

well, I thought the point of this entire thread was to talk about the meds YOU SHOULD BRING WITH YOU, instead of trying to buy them at the ship's store if you suddenly need them.

The only time I've ever seen a doctor was when practically everyone in our (we had started in Buenos Aires and then Patagonia) came down with the most awful cold.  None of the OTC things were working for any of us.  I have a lot of medical background and was honestly concerned about bronchitis/pneumonia.  But, as I've said, I carry anything I think we we might need.

6 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

Obviously bringing children with you may be more highly problematic with possible medical complaints, and bringing something that you always use is wise. But if your child hardly ever gets a headache or fever, then why bother, the medical bay is there and the travel insurance will cover it.

6 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

No......the (original) point was to ask posters what they brought with them -- not what posters think people should bring with them.  In fact, that's the title of the entire thread: "what's in your travel first aid kit?".   Not "what should people bring", or even "what have you wished you had but you didn't".   

• Like 3

After DH and I came down with the flu (had never had it before) on a 2 week Hawaii cruise a few years ago, I've added Emergen-C packets and cough drops to my kit. Would have killed for a cough drop or throat lozenge on that trip!  We were quarantined by the doctor and frankly too weak to sneak out to the gift shop for anything anyway. So much nicer to have what you need in the cabin with you. 

23 minutes ago, peanutter said:

After DH and I came down with the flu (had never had it before) on a 2 week Hawaii cruise a few years ago, I've added Emergen-C packets and cough drops to my kit. Would have killed for a cough drop or throat lozenge on that trip!  We were quarantined by the doctor and frankly too weak to sneak out to the gift shop for anything anyway. So much nicer to have what you need in the cabin with you. 

Had you had the flu vaccine?  We weren't religious about it until we got grandkids.

20 hours ago, clo said:

Had you had the flu vaccine?  We weren't religious about it until we got grandkids.

Good question and the quick answer is no.  The cruise was in mid-September and we asked our doc about the vaccine before the trip.  It was not available in our area at that point and he (his office) said it would be too early for us to take it anyway.  We are in TN and our flu season starts later in the year.  The trick was we sailed out of Vancouver with a ship load of (honestly very nice and lovely) Canadians whose flu season is much earlier than ours.  The ship (Star Princess) was a complete cesspool of germs - people were coughing and sneezing all over the place.  We tried to be careful, but there were too many opportunities for transmission.  At least we didn't get the noro that went around as the cruise progressed!

We have always had the shot in the past but now, we are diligent about getting the vaccine well before fall cruises.  We have one leaving on Halloween from NY and we will be sure to have our shot well before embarkation so it can take effect.  I understand the shot is no where near 100% effective, but I'll take what I can get!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, peanutter said:

Good question and the quick answer is no.  The cruise was in mid-September and we asked our doc about the vaccine before the trip.  It was not available in our area at that point and he (his office) said it would be too early for us to take it anyway.  We are in TN and our flu season starts later in the year.  The trick was we sailed out of Vancouver with a ship load of (honestly very nice and lovely) Canadians whose flu season is much earlier than ours.  The ship (Star Princess) was a complete cesspool of germs - people were coughing and sneezing all over the place.  We tried to be careful, but there were too many opportunities for transmission.  At least we didn't get the noro that went around as the cruise progressed!

We have always had the shot in the past but now, we are diligent about getting the vaccine well before fall cruises.  We have one leaving on Halloween from NY and we will be sure to have our shot well before embarkation so it can take effect.  I understand the shot is no where near 100% effective, but I'll take what I can get!

Good perspective.  Our pharmacist suggested that when you get out your Halloween decorations that can be your reminder.  I don't have any Halloween decorations.  So, yeah, in your case, now you know.  But a pretty yucky way to find out, huh?

I am a planner!   I always have a small first aid kit, containing anticeptic wipes, plaster, pain relief, indigestion relief etc.

Only had two cruises ( cruised over 20+)  where we didn't have an item we needed and couldn't get on the ship, one the result of the other 😁  The first was a pregnancy test and the other a few years later was a head lice comb for our toddler after being in the kids club.

Despite careful planning life has surprise's.

55 minutes ago, iancal said:

five or six ibprobhen capsules. 

When I was having my awful back pain I was taking four six hours!  We carry a zipping bag of them on any trip.

• Like 1

On 6/19/2019 at 7:22 AM, calliopecruiser said:

Exactly!

Yup, it can happen, and there are apps for that!  When I forgot my prescription meds on a trip to Europe, I was able to buy replacements behind the counter but non-rx, even though the pharmacist didn't speak much English.....I knew I was very fortunate, and was actually going to ask the pharmacist for a doctor's office who did speak English, but it turned out I didn't need an rx after all.   

Yes, you might not be able to get your known brand or favourite OTC product, but I'm OK with that. 

In Barcelona, I had a bag containing my meds among other things robbed.  I had a heart valve replaced recently, and absolutely needed daily doses of Eliquis and BP meds.  

I went to a "pharmacia" and described my situation.  I was able to get a 2 month supply in a manufacturers sealed box for what was my insurance copay for the same meds/dosage/amount in the good old USA.  Eliquis was about $110 and in the States I get a $125 copay with another $1100 charged to my insurance company.

Something wrong in this picture!!??!!

Edited by evandbob
  • Like 1

On 6/21/2019 at 4:03 PM, navybankerteacher said:

Save your self the bother of carrying any tool: only buy wine that comes in a six pack of pop-top cans.

Just make sure your pop top wine has a good vintage date, like last Tuesday.  😄😄😁

On 6/19/2019 at 11:30 PM, clo said:

Why do you not want to check a bag?

With carry luggage, I can be in a taxi halfway to the cruise port with everything I need while others on my flight are just beginning to see their luggage carousel start to move.