Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
helen haywood

New on Select Dining Reservations?

Recommended Posts

I have in the past had no trouble making reservations for us in the website for Select Dining.  However, I just tried to do so for a cruise in July and could only add one day to the cart and when I tried for another it simply replaced the one I had in the cart with this message:  "Only one reservation per guest per sailing can be reserved online."  Is this new?  Does this mean that they want me to call Celebrity to make Select reservations?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In my experience you can only do 1 day at a time.  Complete that and the the next day, etc.

 

we normally only do the 1st two days and the do the rest onboard.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, just continue shopping after you reserve one day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It wouldn’t let me do that.  Read the error message I got when I tried to do a second night.  It simply replaced the one item in my cart for night 1 with a reservation for night 2.  When I tried to fake it out by adding one night to my cart, completing the transaction and going back to make another (ridiculously tedious and not what I’ve been able to do in the past) then I got the message that only one reservation per guest per sailing could be reserved online.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They only take a limited number of reservations as they must leave a lot of tables for people to drop in. The system may be at it's max

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We just got off the Summit on Sunday, June 16.  We had Select Dining.  During the day you can call an extension number (check with the dining room manager on your ship) and make a reservation for that night’s dinner.  You can also make a dinner reservation for the next night’s dinner as you leave the dining room.  There is someone outside the dining room at a podium who will take down your name, cabin number, the requested time, and the server’s name (if you have a preference).  If you have a reservation and it’s for a popular time, you might still have to wait for 10 - 15 minutes. It wasn’t a problem for us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, hurwitz5 said:

We just got off the Summit on Sunday, June 16.  We had Select Dining.  During the day you can call an extension number (check with the dining room manager on your ship) and make a reservation for that night’s dinner.  You can also make a dinner reservation for the next night’s dinner as you leave the dining room.  There is someone outside the dining room at a podium who will take down your name, cabin number, the requested time, and the server’s name (if you have a preference).  If you have a reservation and it’s for a popular time, you might still have to wait for 10 - 15 minutes. It wasn’t a problem for us.

we were refused reservations onboard as they said all the reserved spots were booked. Were told just to show up for an anytime spot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I pre-booked  Select Dining for 6 of 7 nights last week for a January cruise (and one specialty). I did them all at once. Sounds like an inconsistent process.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, helen haywood said:

I have in the past had no trouble making reservations for us in the website for Select Dining.  However, I just tried to do so for a cruise in July and could only add one day to the cart and when I tried for another it simply replaced the one I had in the cart with this message:  "Only one reservation per guest per sailing can be reserved online."  Is this new?  Does this mean that they want me to call Celebrity to make Select reservations?

Call the Captains Club (1-800-760-0654) and have them make your reservations. I've never experienced a problem booking SD in my CP. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, helen haywood said:

It wouldn’t let me do that.  Read the error message I got when I tried to do a second night.  It simply replaced the one item in my cart for night 1 with a reservation for night 2.  When I tried to fake it out by adding one night to my cart, completing the transaction and going back to make another (ridiculously tedious and not what I’ve been able to do in the past) then I got the message that only one reservation per guest per sailing could be reserved online.

Make sure you have added the selection to your cart and then complete the checkout before trying to add a reservation for another night.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, helen haywood said:

It wouldn’t let me do that.  Read the error message I got when I tried to do a second night.  It simply replaced the one item in my cart for night 1 with a reservation for night 2.  When I tried to fake it out by adding one night to my cart, completing the transaction and going back to make another (ridiculously tedious and not what I’ve been able to do in the past) then I got the message that only one reservation per guest per sailing could be reserved online.

I’ve had that problem too so I just call Celebrity and make the daily reservation with them. Once you’ve done that you can go to manage reservation and make changes if you need too.

If you wait until you board to book reservation you may find times you want unavailable,although just walking in the waits usually are too long.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anytime and Select dining are the same thing.  We used to request Late Seating when booking the cruise with our travel agent. We have taken 3 cruises this year and on the Reflection and Equinox, Late Seating was 8:30 pm.  On the Summit, Late Seating was 8:15 pm.  If we knew ahead of time that the Summit was 8:15, we would have chosen Late Seating.  We went to the 7:00 pm show every night and then went to Anytime/Select Dining, where we had a 8:00 pm reservation.  Many nights we had to wait until 8:15 pm to be seated - so Late Seating at 8:15 would have worked for us.  We would have just walked in, instead of waiting in line. In either case, it was not a big deal.  We don’t dwell on the small stuff - after all, we are on vacation and relaxed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We always make select dining reservations for every night of the cruise.  Using the web site is and always has been painfully slow and repetitive....so much so that I now just call captain's club and ask them to book me at x:xx every night....and it's done.  I do check a couple of days later to make sure.  Every so often, I suggest that Lisa (or whoever has that job) sit at a computer terminal and book reservations for meals every night on a 14 night cruise.  I've failed, but if I were ever successful, I bet the system would get improved quickly.

 

If we aren't going to use a reservation (specialty dining,...), we let the select maitre d' know so they can free up the reservation slot for someone on-board.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks everyone!  I wasn't having any luck doing it in Chrome so I switched to Firefox and was able to make the reservations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, hurwitz5 said:

We just got off the Summit on Sunday, June 16.  We had Select Dining.  During the day you can call an extension number (check with the dining room manager on your ship) and make a reservation for that night’s dinner.  You can also make a dinner reservation for the next night’s dinner as you leave the dining room.  There is someone outside the dining room at a podium who will take down your name, cabin number, the requested time, and the server’s name (if you have a preference).  If you have a reservation and it’s for a popular time, you might still have to wait for 10 - 15 minutes. It wasn’t a problem for us.

In my opinion, a  15 min wait with a res means they are not managing the system and or dining rm properly.. we will be disappointed if that happrns on EDGE   or Summit,.our next cruises with mdr res.

 

We have been spoiled by BLU and AQ but even BLU has started to have lines at busy times..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

We are used to NCL’s My time dining.  No reservations are necessary. As this is our first Celebrity  cruise, do we need to make reservations for Select dining?  I am confused to say the least.

Edited by newtocruisingcdn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, newtocruisingcdn said:

We are used to NCL’s My time dining.  No reservations are necessary. As this is our first Celebrity  cruise, do we need to make reservations for Select dining?  I am confused to say the least.

No requirement to make reservations on Celebrity for Select Dining. Personal preference for some of us. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you. We like the flexibility of eating when we want, usually with new friends we meet. We don’t necessarily know in advance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Select dining wait times increase after a show ends....everyone suddenly wants to eat at once.  Prior to the change in elite cocktails, there was also a peak at just after 7pm when the "free" drinks stopped...but that's no longer an issue.  Generally, it seems to be running much smoother on recent cruises, but of course, every cruise is different.

 

We have been on cruises where there was up to 1/2 hour wait for Blu.  It really can vary.  Generally it's 5 or 10 minutes if there is a wait.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a $3,000 Norwegian Cruise Line Gift Card
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...