Cruise Critic Community
lghgha

What did you wear formal night?

Ladies and guys! What did you wear on elegant night?  Please post a pic if you have one! 😁  TIA

4 minutes ago, lghgha said:

Ladies and guys! What did you wear on elegant night?  Please post a pic if you have one! 😁  TIA

I like to wear a typical Blazer with a bowtie and black/gray suit pants.

The comments on this thread will be fun. Especially once it gets to around 60 pages.

I personally wear jeans, a polo shirt and tennis shoes. 

I wore a little black dress and DH wore a suit tie for the first formal night, but we were so tired the second one he only managed a silk shirt and linen pants.

I usually wear a somewhat dressy, but not long dress with a shrug over it.   Last cruise, one dress was black velvet, one was blue.  Both pack up small, don't require ironing, and are comfortable enough.  And then after dinner I more or less ran to my cabin to get back into shorts/tshirt/flip flops before doing anything else.  Whatever you wear, you'll see people less dressy and more dressy than you.  

We always make an effort.  Now, "make an effort" has changed over the years.  The first few years of cruising, this meant I wore a long gown and stressed over hair and makeup. I remember my feet killing me because I had to have the perfect pair of heels to go with that long gown. I'd also buy a new dress for each new cruise. I supposed it was as good an excuse as any to go shopping.

Several years ago, when I knew we wouldn't be slowing down on cruising anytime soon, I stopped wearing gowns and switched to sparkly cocktail dresses. Then I stopped with the sparkly part and started wearing dresses I wear to work.  In fact, when I'd buy new clothes for work I'd have in mind that they'd double-duty on a cruise. 

My husband wears a suit, though he said he'd just wear a collared shirt and slacks on our upcoming Carnival cruise. I'll still wear a dress, but it won't be sparkly and my shoes will be heels that are sensible!

Usually wear a blazer= typically in the top 20% best dressed while sporting it...

Tux or Dinner Jacket for me and a dressy dress, (not floor length) for the wifey.

I wear a dress that would be suitable for a summer party or wedding, and DH wears a sports jacket with dress pants, shirt and tie for the first "elegant " dinner. For the second I wear a different dressy outfit and he wears a "Hawaiian" shirt with casual summer pants. 

29 minutes ago, mikenbon said:

I wear a dress that would be suitable for a summer party or wedding, and DH wears a sports jacket with dress pants, shirt and tie for the first "elegant " dinner. For the second I wear a different dressy outfit and he wears a "Hawaiian" shirt with casual summer pants. 

Does he also wear Hawaiian shirts on casual nights? I saw someone on my last cruise who wore one nightly. Thought it was cool he had so many. His wife wore them sometimes too! 

Think gents want to look sharp and ladies pretty.  My $0.02.  What did ZZTop say about sharp dressed men.....

He may wear the Hawaiian shirt one more evening, but that's all. We do see so e fellows wearing them nightly, and have seen their partners with matching dresses. 

I wear a cocktail dress with fabulous shoes. The hubs usually just wears khakis, button up shirt and tie.

2 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

dockers and long sleeve button down.

Same here.  Used to wear a suit and tie "back in the day".

2 hours ago, nybumpkin said:

This is us on our Bermuda cruise two years ago.

Doug and Kathy Portrait 2 Elegant Night.jpg

Great picture!

For the first Elegant Night :

1213180233_VistaCaptaingala5560298.thumb.JPG.96b6a0283c41c80fec817a37cf57d524.JPG

For the second Elegant Light:

CSM-170512-Stairs2-7497621_GPR.thumb.jpg.9f0f29112db6de610aca01535c3c03d6.jpg

or we will do matching Hawaiian Prints (sorry no pics). Me in a maxi dress and  DH in Dockers (navy or black) with a pair of Sperry.  

I wear a pair of Dockers and a polo shirt. My wife wears a nice pair of slacks and a pretty blouse. We stopped "dressing up" for Elegant night several years ago, when the airlines started charging $25.00 per checked bag. We learned to pack less, which meant no more suits for me or fancy dresses for my wife. We decided we already had plenty of pictures of us dressed up for dinner and didn't need or want any more. We also discovered that the steak and lobster (or whatever was on the menu) tasted exactly the same whether we were dressed up or less formal.