What did you wear formal night?

lghgha

I have not read all your postings, but this is ME talking about your question.

Since I'm not able to "dress up" to the 9's at home, I do it on elegant night.  On my last cruise earlier this year, I had bought a beautiful purple dress, or I thought it was.  I had only tried it on once, and put it away in my closet.  I decided to wear it on one of the elegant nights, and no matter where I walked, people would stop me (I'm a 76 year old woman, where people think I am about 10 years younger), and compliment me on how beautiful my dress and I looked.  Am I bragging.................well guess I am. 🙂 As you can guess, I l love dressing up, as it takes "work" to look nice at times. 🙂

• Like 4

First two cruises I wore a suit.  Then I bought a tux and wore it with different colored vests and ties for the next seven cruises.  Then it just got to the point where DW said we had enough pictures of us dressed up and it was costing extra to lug the fancy clothes on the airplane.  Now I just wear dockers, button down shirt with a tie.

We like to dress up on cruises.  Typically for dinner in the MDR we dress a little nicer...for me it's khakis and a polo, and the wife usually wears a skirt or slacks and a nice blouse.  For elegent night I have done a tuxedo but usually it's a nice black suit and the wife always does a nice dress..

When flying and all of the luggage weight restrictions and added costs, we no longer ‘elegant’ dress for dinner. Stick with cruise casual. No need for all the extra shoes either....which take a lot of weight and space.  Recently on Norweigen cruise and their freestyle dining is awesome!  Didn’t have the added worry of dressing up. Less stress when packing. Less expensive. More room for souvenirs for the return home 😁.  Back in the day, you’d be totally stared at if you showed up in non-elegant attire. Today, definitely not a big deal. Although I will say, IMO of course......baseball hats, swim suits, robes and pajamas should not be allowed. Any hoot, it’s your vacation...just be comfortable. Happy sailing everyone.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, nybumpkin said:

This is us on our Bermuda cruise two years ago.

Doug and Kathy Portrait 2 Elegant Night.jpg

You sir, are truly a class act, and your lady is lovely. Thank you.

I wore a white dinner jacket as well. Wished I had the pic!

Edited by MauiWowie57

OK--I apologize in advance for all the pictures---but this topic is my cup of tea. From the first tux (2004 on a Holland America ship which had a useless escalator for show) till today I have enjoyed getting odd tuxes, suits and bow ties---I have 5 neon or sparkly bow ties. I've never paid more than $35 for any of my 6 tuxes, getting them on ebay from rental places selling off stock, usually in August after the weddings, proms, etc. 3 of the shops measured them to my size! My wife was positive I'd never dare to wear the St Patrick's day suit with light up green bow tie----that Target couldn't sell and had reduced to a LOW price!

escalator.jpg

IMG0081.jpg

IMG0047.jpg

IMG0331.jpg

• Like 1

We generally avoid the elegant nights.  When on holidays we enjoy dressing casual and comfortable and not having to get all dressed up.  But I love that the option is there for those who enjoy it!

Last year, on the Dream, we traveled with two other couples; friends of ours.  We were all in "The Great Gatsby" era costumes.  The ladies were the bees knees in their ritzy Flapper dresses.  Us guys looked spiffy, like a bunch of hard boiled, pinstriped gangsters.  Lots of fun, lots of strange looks.  (Notice the use of 20"s slang?)

1 hour ago, chocolate melting cake said:

OK--I apologize in advance for all the pictures---but this topic is my cup of tea. From the first tux (2004 on a Holland America ship which had a useless escalator for show) till today I have enjoyed getting odd tuxes, suits and bow ties---I have 5 neon or sparkly bow ties. I've never paid more than $35 for any of my 6 tuxes, getting them on ebay from rental places selling off stock, usually in August after the weddings, proms, etc. 3 of the shops measured them to my size! My wife was positive I'd never dare to wear the St Patrick's day suit with light up green bow tie----that Target couldn't sell and had reduced to a LOW price!

escalator.jpg

IMG0081.jpg

IMG0047.jpg

IMG0331.jpg

I love all of your tuxes and how your wife compliments you perfectly. 🙂