Viking Sea Bed arrangement

khm1

I am new to Viking.  I will be taking a Viking cruise with my parents and sister in October of 2020.  I know it is very early to start worrying, but I am a compulsive planner! I have a question for you seasoned Viking cruisers.  Can the beds be separated into twins?  We have a Deluxe Veranda (DV2) cabin.  I don't particularly want to share a bed with my sister.  I have already started to consider the logistics of us sharing a room for the first time in 30 years.  Thanks in advance for any help you can offer me!

The DV cabins are actually quite spacious.  The bathrooms are very nice and have separate shelves and drawers on both sides of the sink.  You can store suitcases under the bed so they don't take up any floor space.  The Viking ships are beautiful and even with 900 people it never feels crowded, lots of quiet public spaces.  Hope you have a great time!

Thanks everyone! As a compulsive over-planner, I have my work cut out for me.  I have cruised a lot with RCCL and a little with Princess.  I am looking forward so much to trying Viking. I fear that I may be spoiled for the other lines after this! Now off to read the "Viking for newbies" thread. 😊

Edited by khm1
  • Like 2

On 6/18/2019 at 4:47 PM, khm1 said:

I have already started to consider the logistics of us sharing a room for the first time in 30 years. 

Maybe you two should consider a practice run? A long week in DC or Philadelphia?

DSis and I spent a week together in Madrid -- and lived to tell the tale. We had a great time and learned that the best thing we could do was to understand that just because we were sharing a hotel room did not mean that we were joined at the hip. There were times she went in one direction and I went in the opposite and we met back at the hotel, both much happier with having had our much needed alone time.

• Like 2

I travel with my adult daughter and we have almost always requested that the beds be separated into two for our Viking cruises.  Last winter, however, we arrived and found that the bed was still together.  Embarkation day is very busy and we didn't want to unnecessarily burden our cabin steward so we opted to wait until the next day to make the request.  We found that it was much more comfortable for us to have the bed "intact".  When separated the beds are quite narrow and it is not unusual to turn over in the night and find that "parts" are hanging off the bed.  I actually rolled off one afternoon during a nap when i turned over to shut off the alarm!  That said, we are both quiet sleepers and don't toss and turn enough to bother each other ... we may "let it be" again if the beds are not separated when we board the Jupiter next week!

20 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Maybe you two should consider a practice run? A long week in DC or Philadelphia?

DSis and I spent a week together in Madrid -- and lived to tell the tale. We had a great time and learned that the best thing we could do was to understand that just because we were sharing a hotel room did not mean that we were joined at the hip. There were times she went in one direction and I went in the opposite and we met back at the hotel, both much happier with having had our much needed alone time.

I shared a room with her and my mother a few years ago on another cruise.  Three women in one room was WAY too much.  My sister has a habit of hogging the bathroom.  We have already had a discussion about this.  We are going to work out a schedule and time limits.  I spent the week of that previous cruise taking a shower in the gym locker room.  I did it in order to keep the peace and not upset my mother.  I was NOT pleased.  She literally can take over an hour in the bathroom on a consistent basis.  She also tosses and turns and grinds her teeth. Therefore, sharing a bed would not be a good thing. Otherwise we get along fine.

I will be fine.  These are first world problems.  We thankfully have an open, honest relationship.  I will be talking to her some more about both of our expectations.😉

It the beds are separated in the V  or DV cabins, the space from the corner of the bed nearest the desk can be tight. An inch or two divide might be enough to let people have their own space and earplugs can help with teeth grinding.  Also, if you get the bathroom first and she is dawdling too long, just tell her you'll be heading on out and she can join you when she's up to it.