Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
DRS/NC

Brazil drops visas for US tourists

5 minutes ago, DRS/NC said:

We finally got ten year ones.  It was such a pain.  You had to have your plane reservation first - not sure what the cruise requirements were since we always fly - and then send it off to a visa service (better than standing with the crowds in the SF consulate).  Very good news.  And now people who want to visit Iguazu Falls on the Brazil side can do it easily.

This is great to know, thanks for posting.  We had to obtain a visa to visit Brazil back in 2010 and it was a pain.  Glad to know we won't have to go through that again.

23 minutes ago, voyager70 said:

This is great to know, thanks for posting.  We had to obtain a visa to visit Brazil back in 2010 and it was a pain.  Glad to know we won't have to go through that again.

Yeah, I think unless you've been through it you can't really grasp what a PITA it was.

3 minutes ago, clo said:

Yeah, I think unless you've been through it you can't really grasp what a PITA it was.

Yep.  We used CIBT to get ours.  Went through the same process you did. Think we paid $250 each and that was only for five year visa.  

Great news! I always wondered why Brazil (of all places) made it SO hard for Americans to visit?!🤔

9 minutes ago, wwcruisers said:

Great news! I always wondered why Brazil (of all places) made it SO hard for Americans to visit?!🤔

I was told but never checked it out that they were only doing to US citizens what the US required of Brazilians.  I didn't quite believe it but....

8 minutes ago, wwcruisers said:

In the past they deliberately tried to make it exactly as hard as the US makes it for Brazilians to visit! I've known many Brazilians long enough to have heard all the tales of woe of the hassle of getting into the US; including several folks in TV/Movies who work in LA as well as Vancouver so have no option but to keep their US and Canadian visas up-to-date at all times. Apparently the standard Brazilian policy re: who needs Visas can be summed up as "whatever any country makes our citizens do, and whatever they charge, we use the same criteria of hassle and cost."

The new Brazilian president is definitely changing things up (not even going to touch on for better or worse, but he's certainly a common topic of conversation among all the Brazilians I know...)

1 minute ago, martincath said:

In the past they deliberately tried to make it exactly as hard as the US makes it for Brazilians to visit! I've known many Brazilians long enough to have heard all the tales of woe of the hassle of getting into the US; including several folks in TV/Movies who work in LA as well as Vancouver so have no option but to keep their US and Canadian visas up-to-date at all times. Apparently the standard Brazilian policy re: who needs Visas can be summed up as "whatever any country makes our citizens do, and whatever they charge, we use the same criteria of hassle and cost."

The new Brazilian president is definitely changing things up (not even going to touch on for better or worse, but he's certainly a common topic of conversation among all the Brazilians I know...)

It was always tit-for-tat.  Nothing more.  Not to bring up politics, but the dropping of the visa for US citizens may be due to the similarities in political leanings of the new Brazilian President and the current US President.  Their press conference when Mr. Bolsonaro visited Mr. Trump was pretty close to the lovefeast when Mr. Trump met Mr. Putin (birds of a feather...) It was brought up at the conference by Trump that Bolsonaro was considering this.  

3 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

Mr. Bolsonaro visited Mr. Trump was pretty close to the lovefeast when Mr. Trump met Mr. Putin (birds of a feather...)

"Lovefeast" indeed.  But, yes, here's not the place to discuss.

1 minute ago, slidergirl said:

It was always tit-for-tat. 

That's a much more succinct summary than my waffle 😉

And yes, I recall also that it was the first 'bro-fest' of Bolsonaro & Trump where this idea was floated - I was just a bit surprised to see it actually going through without the requisite 'tat' from the other side (including Canada, although we did put Brazil onto a small list of countries who can skip the Visa if they're flying in for a vacation, just needing the eTA like all the Visa Waiver countries do)

1 hour ago, clo said:

I was told but never checked it out that they were only doing to US citizens what the US required of Brazilians.  I didn't quite believe it but....

Absolutely true. It's called reciprocity. They did it as long as they thought they could get away with it. Now with the new Brazilian president they are hoping to increase tourism from the US.

Well this is certainly good/bad news. I am trying to figure out where I want to spend my 50th (😫) birthday in Jan of 2021 and had it down to a few places....now with news it tosses a wrench in the works as Rio has been on my "bucket list" for a long time. I just never wanted to deal with the visa crap.  Now Rio is on the "possible" place list. 

1 minute ago, TruckerDave said:

Well this is certainly good/bad news. I am trying to figure out where I want to spend my 50th (😫) birthday in Jan of 2021 and had it down to a few places....now with news it tosses a wrench in the works as Rio has been on my "bucket list" for a long time. I just never wanted to deal with the visa crap.  Now Rio is on the "possible" place list. 

We used to own an apt there and love Rio.  Its people, called "cariocas", are the friendliest people you'll ever meet.  And Rio is simply beautiful.  People have commented on the danger.  But that's in the favelas which are the hillsides.  You can't accidentally stumble into them.  It's mostly the drug dealers fighting among themselves.  So looking forward to getting back there in December.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, clo said:

We used to own an apt there and love Rio.  Its people, called "cariocas", are the friendliest people you'll ever meet.  And Rio is simply beautiful.  People have commented on the danger.  But that's in the favelas which are the hillsides.  You can't accidentally stumble into them.  It's mostly the drug dealers fighting among themselves.  So looking forward to getting back there in December.

I understand. I went to Columbia a few years ago (Medellin of all places) and had a wonderful time. Was told to just stay out of the jungles and if something "looked odd" to just turn around and walk away.  I never had any issues. Guessing Rio is just about the same, just keep your wits about you and you'll be fine. 

Edited by TruckerDave

8 minutes ago, TruckerDave said:

I understand. I went to Columbia a few years ago (Medellin of all places) and had a wonderful time. Was told to just stay out of the jungles and if something "looked odd" to just turn around and walk away.  I never had any issues. Guessing Rio is just about the same, just keep your wits about you and you'll be fine. 

Somehow I'm guessing the Rio is a lot safer!  Over the years we've spent months there with not even a whisper of a problem.  We did witness an attempted but failed purse snatching but that's been it.  But as I mentioned on another thread I've had a personal motto since I was in my 20s: don't be where you shouldn't be when you shouldn't be there.  Has held me in good stead for many decades.  And it's a great deal right now.  Got this hotel in Copacabana for $50/nt.

https://site.majestichotel.com.br/

19 hours ago, wwcruisers said:

Because they got mad when we started taking pictures and finger prints on all non-US citizens or permanent residents entering the US.

For a period of time back in 2004/5, even with a visa, you could expect a several HOUR wait to enter Brazil with a US passport.

2 hours ago, SRF said:

For a period of time back in 2004/5, even with a visa, you could expect a several HOUR wait to enter Brazil with a US passport.

Not for us and not in Rio.  And at that time we had only been granted 90 day visas.  And  believe the replies upthread more accurately describe the tit for tat thing.

6 hours ago, clo said:

Not for us and not in Rio.  And at that time we had only been granted 90 day visas.  And  believe the replies upthread more accurately describe the tit for tat thing.

This was when it started.  I was going there for work, and people a week before I went, had 4 - 5 hour waits.  For no reason.

I did not have a long wait, but it was not as short as others that did not appear to have US passports.

And my colleague, who went a couple of years before me, before the US started the fingerprint and photo thing, had no such issues and no heads up about such issues.