zitsky

4 minutes ago, zitsky said:

What's a CA/NE itinerary?  Thanks.

Canada / New England

ETA: Typing same time as Schoifmom - I guess I was too slow.:classic_blush:

Edited by ShakyBeef
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, zitsky said:

So quiet places are serenity deck and library.  I read that serenity deck gets crowded, but maybe there are other quiet places?

It can get relatively full, but I cannot remember a time where I couldn't find somewhere to sit.  May have been a shaded sofa/loveseat instead of a sunny lounger, but more often than not, when I go look for a spot, I get generally what I want.

10 minutes ago, zitsky said:

So quiet places are serenity deck and library.  I read that serenity deck gets crowded, but maybe there are other quiet places?

The Serenity Deck does get busy but its not always packed. We've taken naps in the clamshells, didnt have to wait for one.

The outside deck on the lobby deck was always a quiet spot to sit, especially in the evening.  I also found the smoking area on Liberty to be a ghost town at times, and got good seats i. The shade there since no one was smoking nearby.

Are you looking at a particular ship?  Are you planning on a balcony cabin?

I was on the Fantasy out of Mobile Jan 4-7. It was not a booze cruise. There was no serenity deck. The pool was not crazy the day I went. It was a sea day and there was an ice sculpture something going on. I was able to read and relax no problem. I also found the little seating area behind the buffet a nice place to grab a drink, read and watch the wake. There was also a lounge that was quiet during the day for reading, cards, etc. Please don't assume this myth that ALL 3-4 day cruises are booze cruises with drunks, slurring, stumbling, fighting, vomiting, etc. If you find a rowdy crowd (bachelor party, college kids, family reunion) on any sailing, regardless of length, you always have the option of relocating.

If you like the itinerary, the ship and the price (I don't think we know the first two) book it and enjoy. 

I have been on multiple 4 day cruises. Not once have I ever noticed much of a difference from the 7-day ones. The fact is, cruising in general has quite a small representation of people in the "party" age group when you look at total demographics. Sure you'll find more of them on the cheaper, mass-market lines. But nothing like some people make it out to be. Some people will judge an entire boat by the actions of those they can count on one hand or clutch their pearls at the sounds of the hairy chest contest, which is easily avoided.

Edited by Joebucks
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, NauticalNeophyte said:

The outside deck on the lobby deck was always a quiet spot to sit, especially in the evening.  I also found the smoking area on Liberty to be a ghost town at times, and got good seats i. The shade there since no one was smoking nearby.

Are you looking at a particular ship?  Are you planning on a balcony cabin?

Looking at Sensation ocean view cabin.  With airfare and 5 night cruise == $1900 for two people in December.  Is that too much?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Looking at Sensation ocean view cabin.  With airfare and 5 night cruise == $1900 for two people in December.  Is that too much?

I’ve never had to fly to the port, so I can’t speak on whether that’s a good deal, but it sounds like it might be.  Are you limited to only Miami, or can you fly other ports?

I’ve only done the Triumph (Sunrise) and the Liberty, and thought the Liberty was the perfect size for me.  I think being on the right size ship for you will has a larger impact on whether you enjoy the cruise.  I need a good balance between activities to entertain me and amenities to keep me comfortable and happy.    This is based on my limited experience of course.  

3 hours ago, Cushing985 said:

I think the secret is the length of the cruise.   The 3-4 day cruises are called booze cruises for a reason.  Five day cruises are borderline.  

Definitely. I've been on everything from 3 to 18 days; the short the cruise, the more raucous the party - and again, if it's spring break/graduation/etc., you'll have more.  Longer cruises tend to attract older, possibly retirees (yes, retirees on Carnival!). As has been noted, the Serenity Deck is usually quite serene (!), but you still have the option of participating in the HC Contest and other fun. 

All of my cruises have been 5 days or less and most have been in late March and I wouldn't say any of them have been party cruises.  People do get a little rowdy on Lido and at some of the events but I'm sure that happens on any cruise.  We've always been able to find a quiet place to get away when we've wanted to.

We've been 4 cruises and are going on our 5th in November.   They've all been 5 day cruises.   2 of them were with our kids.  I've never felt like it was a party ship.   Sure, there's always a group of people that tend to get a little loud ect.   And some people's fun levels are way way higher than mine  :classic_wink:     But as others have said, there are places that you can let a little loose, and there are places that are much quieter.   I'm the kind that rarely stays up past 10 or 11 even when on vacation so maybe I just missed it all.    We never went into the nightclubs ect.    And the lido is louder but there are plenty of quieter places to go.   Never being on any other cruise line I guess I've nothing to compare it to really.  But as a person of 50, who is not a party person,   I can vouch for the non party feel to plenty of places on the ship.     Go and enjoy.     With the exception of one in September they've always been in November so I don't know if that plays into it or not. 

6 minutes ago, ronbe65 said:

We only can evaluate the cruise part of your trip.

A really good price for a 7-day cruise on a good Carnival ship is from $350-400 pp (inside cabin). This is a benchmark for comparison.

A 5-day cruise on the Sensation is  somewhat OK if you speak of the Western itinerary, but far prom stellar. 

The Bahamas isn't the best option in December.

Think of these options instead:

Carnival Conquest (7 days)

Miami, Grand Turk, San Juan, St. Thomas/Charlotte Amalie, Amber Cove, Miami

1 departure date: Dec 7 2019

Carnival Horizon (6 days)

Miami, Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Miami

1 departure date: Dec 8 2019

Carnival Horizon (8 days)

Miami, Grand Turk, La Romana, Willemstad/Curacao, Aruba, Miami

2 departure dates: Dec 14, 28 2019

Happy cruising!

Ok thank you.  I'll look into these.  Are the Bahamas too cold in December?

Per Google "temperature Bahamas December"...

Average Weather in December in Nassau Bahamas. Daily high temperatures decrease by 2°F, from 80°F to 78°F, rarely falling below 73°F or exceeding 84°F.

Edited by JennyB1977

5 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Ok thank you.  I'll look into these.  Are the Bahamas too cold in December?

I've been to the Bahamas in (early) Dec.  No, it was not too cold - quite hot that day, actually, around 85 deg F IIRC.  But I am sure there is a possibility of a cold front moving in, and it could have been colder.

I've never struggled to find a quiet place on a Carnival ship. Lido is quite busy and noisy during the day on Sea Days which is to be expected, but if you slip away from the main pool area it will be quiet. Also, by dinner time, the Lido pool is practically a ghost town. 

6 hours ago, zitsky said:

I found a short 5 day/night cruise I'm interested in on Carnival.  But partner is not excited about it.  He has the impression that Carnival ships are raucous party boats where you will never find peace and quiet, and people just come to party all day and night.  Is he right?  If it matters, we have been on Viking River cruises (quiet), and Norwegian (reasonably quiet).

I'm actually quite surprised at how many posts on this thread say there is no difference.  I've been on 54 cruises and I certainly see a difference between my 3/4/5 nighters and 7+ nighters.  And yes, I did notice a difference between 5 nights on Carnival vs 5 nights on other lines.  In my opinion (and experience), a short Carnival cruise is about as "booze cruise" as you can get in the cruise industry.  Not saying its a bad thing...people really enjoy themselves...but it is what it is.  

I also found having Spa Room give us the ability to the relaxtion room, thermal room or therapy pool to get away from the excitement. Also go to the front of the ship on a odd number and go outside where many people don't go. 

8 hours ago, zitsky said:

I found a short 5 day/night cruise I'm interested in on Carnival.  But partner is not excited about it.  He has the impression that Carnival ships are raucous party boats where you will never find peace and quiet, and people just come to party all day and night.  Is he right?  If it matters, we have been on Viking River cruises (quiet), and Norwegian (reasonably quiet).

I have found that most shorter cruises (less than 7 days) have a more party atmosphere. But it doesn’t mean ALL shorter cruises will be that way. We sailed a 5 day once to Canada from NYC, and it was not a party cruise at all, but I think it was because most party cruises are with a Caribbean itinerary, not a cooler climate. I sailed a 4 day way back in 2000, out of Miami to Key West and Cozumel. It did not seem to have a party vibe to me. But please don’t compare it to Viking or NCL, or you may be setting yourself up for disappointment. Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE Carnival, and have 3 cruises coming up with them. I’ve also sailed NCL and RCCL, and all cruise ships have their good points and bad points. One thing you should be exploring is THE SHIP, not the number of days, chosen. An old ship without a lot of the newer food venues could make or break your cruise, no matter how long it is. I review videos on YouTube of any ship I’m considering. Then, read some reviews on here. That is a better indicator of how how cruise will go rather than it being a shorter cruise.