Cruise Critic Community
Monarch25

Cabin difference?

Hi,  I booked a mid ship balcony room for my wife, my two teens and myself on the Encore for next March. This is only my second cruise ever and the first one was over 15 years ago hence I would classify myself as a newbie. My question is "what is the difference between a balcony room and a mini suit room?" I can't seem to find a difference but maybe I am missing something. 

Thanks. 

A mini suite is slightly longer with a sofa bed by the window that can be curtained off from the rest of the room. Mini suites also have a larger bathroom. Otherwise, they're very similar.

Encore isn't sailing yet so I suppose it's possible there will be more differences people will be able to tell you about after it launches. I had a mini suite on Breakway and regular balcony on Escape The only difference I noticed was the bathroom of the mini suite was larger, most notably the shower. Mini suite shower was the entire rear wall of the bathroom and had multiple jets. Regular balcony shower was a typical smaller stand up style with glass door. 

In the mini suite I had there was no curtain the above poster is speaking about. Judging by pictures and room descriptions I believe they may be confusing the Haven suite which has a curtain as described, with the mini suite which isn't Haven. 

Personally after having a mini suite I didn't find the larger bathroom to really be worth the cost. Larger shower did make it easier to shave your legs though, the extra jets seemed to not have a purpose other than to spray your knees and shoulders continuously but you can turn those off. Both showers had removable shower heads which was all I cared about, never could understand how to get clean by just having water poured over your head.

Yeah we had a mini suite once, we were so excited then extremely disappointed when discovered it was just a balcony room with  a little more space, bummer big time.  For us being frugal it was a total waste of hard earned money, 

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Monarch25 said:

Hi,  I booked a mid ship balcony room for my wife, my two teens and myself on the Encore for next March. This is only my second cruise ever and the first one was over 15 years ago hence I would classify myself as a newbie. My question is "what is the difference between a balcony room and a mini suit room?" I can't seem to find a difference but maybe I am missing something. 

Thanks. 

The Encore is the 6th in the -away class ships. Room configurations are similar on all ships in the -away class. 

Contrary to the post above, the Balcony and Mini main room sizes are almost identical. The mini suites are not noticeably longer. Both rooms have sofas that converts to a bed. NO rooms have a curtain that separates the sofa from the bed. 

The only difference is a bigger bathroom in the minis. A double sink and a full size shower (footprint of a bath tub) vs. a small stall. 

We always book a mini for the bathroom. Given a choice, we do not book balconies. 

Edited by BirdTravels

On the older ships, minisuites are a bit bigger with a curtain and bigger bathrooms, on the newer ones, just a bigger bathroom. Some have tubs, which can be a positive or a negative.

Posted (edited)

I did a "cabin crawl" on my Escape sailing a few weeks ago. I had stayed in Balcony rooms four times on the Escape, but it was my first time getting to see the inside of a mini-suite in real life. The bathroom is definitely larger with a double sink (less counter space) and a larger shower or a tub, depending on which one you get. The room was also maybe 12-18 inches longer in total from the door to the slider. The night stands on either side of the bed were a few inches wider each and there was a bit more space between the bed and the couch.

Edited by JamieLogical

If you look closely at these floor plans, you can see that the night stands are more square in the mini-suite than they are in the balcony, because they are a couple of inches wider. And then you can also see there is a bit more of a gap from the edge of the nightstand to the edge of the couch in the mini-suite:

BAPLUS_MX_Mini_Suite_schematic_881x400.g

BAPLUS_BX_Balcony_schematic_881x400.gif

There will NOT be a curtain dividing the room in your Escape mini-suite. As Jamie said, it's just slightly larger, with a bigger bathroom. Otherwise, there are no differences, additional perks, etc.

We book the mini suite mostly for the extra room in the bathroom. The rest of the room seems a little bigger but not much but the bathroom is awesome! With 4 people (we have 2 teens as well) it's worth the money for us. Have a great trip!

We had a family oceanview on the Escape and it did have a curtain dividing the bed and the sofa/bunk area. I wonder if the Family category of mini-suites includes the curtain also. 

1 hour ago, tcruisin77 said:

We had a family oceanview on the Escape and it did have a curtain dividing the bed and the sofa/bunk area. I wonder if the Family category of mini-suites includes the curtain also. 

A family balcony and minisuites are just close to the kids clubs, and are smaller than those family ocean views on the newer ships that sleep more than 4.

The Mini-Suite is nothing more than a "Deluxe Balcony"  !

And defining Deluxe is open for a level of discussion where ever you want to take it to.

It is not a Suite with Butler Concierge Priority privileges.

If you can get a mini-suite for the same or lower price than a Balcony jump all over it.

One thing mini-suites generally have is better locations on higher decks mid-ships.

A few are found on forward and aft decks YMMV by ship.

The NCL SUN has the best mini-suite in cruising - still yet it is only a

-----------------------------"DELUXE BALCONY"--------------------------------

Are the beds the same size in both the mini suite and the balcony room?

7 minutes ago, TMO3CCO1 said:

Are the beds the same size in both the mini suite and the balcony room?

On the Escape they are.

The biggest difference is the shower. The mini has a walk in that can easily fit two. I like the mini suite shower better than the shower we had in an H5 Haven on the Escape