Cruise Critic Community
sandydownunder

Seasoned Cruises but new to Cunard

Fulfilling my dream. Going on the circumnavigation of Japan next May. Researching one of the ports (Kanazawa) I found out the QE2 berths in an industrial area. Other lines offer a shuttle to the down town area either free or for a small payment. Does Cunard generally do this in out-of-the-way ports? I'd appreciate a general account or even better if you have been to Kanazawa a more detailed account of what to expect.

Thanks

Hi Sandydownunder. I'm also going on the circumnavigation of Japan in May, 2020. I can't answer your question specifically for Japan (although someone here will no doubt have that information) but I can tell you that in my experience on the Queen Elizabeth in New Zealand in March, Cunard did provide free shuttles into city centres.

Hope that helps a little to ease your mind.

Hi LittleFish.

That's good news. I like the "free" part. Are you on the Roll Call? I must come over and sign up. My friend Fiona & I are also staying on to Vancouver.

Hi again Sandydownunder, I can't see that there IS a roll call for this cruise. The one I'm on departs 6th May for 9 nights. Have you found one for this cruise?

No I haven't. Just the one leaving May 15th -19 nights. Perhaps we should start one. I'll give it a go.

"Free" shuttles is a bit of a misnomer. You have to pay the higher Cunard fare to get them. Otherwise, there's a charge.

5 hours ago, steve ch said:

"Free" shuttles is a bit of a misnomer. You have to pay the higher Cunard fare to get them. Otherwise, there's a charge.

That depends on your country of booking. No such distinction with a US booking. 

7 hours ago, Underwatr said:

That depends on your country of booking. No such distinction with a US booking. 

I should have guessed that US customers would get a better deal than those booking in the UK.

2 hours ago, steve ch said:

I should have guessed that US customers would get a better deal than those booking in the UK.

However, Saver fares are not offered in the US.  It appears that the UK Cunard Fare is equivalent to the US fare.   

We took a few shuttles on our recent Hong Kong to Cape Town cruise on Q.V.

On boarding the shuttle we were not required to show our ship pass, and it didn't seem like anyone was charged for using the shuttle service.