Cruise Critic Community
jdechter

Ok just for fun who walks around the ship in a bathrobe?

I would never go out of my house or cabin in my sleepwear. I have done it once or twice on my balcony and my wife told me off so no more.

39 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

I would never go out of my house or cabin in my sleepwear. I have done it once or twice on my balcony and my wife told me off so no more.

Since neither of us wear "sleepwear" nor would we.  But I know what she's talking about.  Bob has what we call "lounge wear."  Cotton pants and a tee shirt type top.  Color-coordinated.

5 hours ago, clo said:

Since neither of us wear "sleepwear" nor would we.  But I know what she's talking about.  Bob has what we call "lounge wear."  Cotton pants and a tee shirt type top.  Color-coordinated.

Some would I am so formal that I wear my suit to bed.

On 6/22/2019 at 4:06 PM, navybankerteacher said:

Seriously - why is an occasional bathrobe sighting such a big deal?

Slouching teenage boys with their elastic underwear tops showing above their sagging jeans, or girls with their multi-colored bra and camisole straps showing strike me as more worthy of comment.

It isn't a big deal to me and I think you ask a valid question.   

I actually kind of feel the same way about saggy pants and whatever name is used to describe the women's styling you describe.  It just isn't high on my list of things to worry about.  

One style that I don't find appealing are those women's blouses with holes where the shoulders should be.  Just looks dumb in my opinion.  I'll be glad when that trend runs its course.   Mrs. Ldubs says I'm out of touch and have no style.  She is probably correct.  

It will be just my luck if next they have bathrobes with holes in the shoulders!  😀 

33 minutes ago, ldubs said:

It isn't a big deal to me and I think you ask a valid question.   

I actually kind of feel the same way about saggy pants and whatever name is used to describe the women's styling you describe.  It just isn't high on my list of things to worry about.  

One style that I don't find appealing are those women's blouses with holes where the shoulders should be.  Just looks dumb in my opinion.  I'll be glad when that trend runs its course.   Mrs. Ldubs says I'm out of touch and have no style.  She is probably correct.  

It will be just my luck if next they have bathrobes with holes in the shoulders!  😀 

Shoulders showing through holes ??????  That’s what gets you??????  

What do you think about all the yoga pants and jeggings on  wonen which reveal every crease and blob?  Or “portly” men in shorts and muscle shirts?   They are certainly in style, so I am willing to concede that I am out of touch, but estheticly they seen to lack something.

The sad fact that the less the male form resembles Michaelangelo’s David, or the female that of Botecelli’s  Venus arising from the sea, the better they look when at least partially obscured. Once one is out of his/her teens, the more important it is that clothing should do more than just provide warmth.  Of course, when swimming or working out, that is one thing - but for general wear.....

9 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

What do you think about all the yoga pants and jeggings on  wonen which reveal every crease and blob?  Or “portly” men in shorts and muscle shirts?   They are certainly in style, so I am willing to concede that I am out of touch, but estheticly they seen to lack something.

The sad fact that the less the male form resembles Michaelangelo’s David, or the female that of Botecelli’s  Venus arising from the sea, the better they look when at least partially obscured. Once one is out of his/her teens, the more important it is that clothing should do more than just provide warmth.  Of course, when swimming or working out, that is one thing - but for general wear.....

Yeah, the shoulder hole style -- I just don't get it.  I guess I'm more focused on it because it is closer to home (as in Mrs Ldub's closet).  

Anyway, I agree for the most part with your comments about folks not dressing appropriately for any variety of reasons.  Sadly,  I see a lot of men seem to not notice how their formal wear, for some unknown reason,  gets smaller over the years.   So guys, when the buttons start to strain and your face is turning purple from lack of oxygen, maybe time to size up just a little.   Just sayin. .  . . .

Well, we took this thread from bathrobes to saggy pants and then to tuxedos.  Pretty good!  Haha.  

22 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

I hear you and really work to not make judgments about how people dress or what makeup they wear.  I'm not always successful.

Just now, clo said:

I hear you and really work to not make judgments about how people dress or what makeup they wear.  I'm not always successful.

It just does amaze me that wearing bathrobes seems to be where so many draw the line.

4 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Anyway, I agree for the most part with your comments about folks not dressing appropriately for any variety of reasons.  Sadly,  I see a lot of men seem to not notice how their formal wear, for some unknown reason,  gets smaller over the years.   So guys, when the buttons start to strain and your face is turning purple from lack of oxygen, maybe time to size up just a little.   Just sayin. .  . . .

That's the modern style. Ultra tight jackets and pants.  Flood pants  so everyone can see the quirky fashion socks... if they wear any. 

Of course this younger generation doesn't have the style we did. I mean, platform shoes and Leisure suits can never be replaced! 

disco.jpg

6 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

It just does amaze me that wearing bathrobes seems to be where so many draw the line.

But NBT, this thread is all about bathrobes.  You will have to start a new thread about muscle shirts!  Or, maybe we should just not go there.    😀😀😀 

13 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

And I hear you again 🙂  Hey, I 'came of age' in the South in the 50s and 60s so yeah 🙂

Just now, DirtyDawg said:

That's the modern style. Ultra tight jackets and pants.  Flood pants  so everyone can see the quirky fashion socks... if they wear any. 

Of course this younger generation doesn't have the style we did. I mean, platform shoes and Leisure suits can never be replaced! 

disco.jpg

Haha.  I'm just thankful that bell bottoms are gone!   The young folk are into the high water pants now.  Funny how things change.  

16 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Only in the distasteful circles.

You mean bell bottoms?  

1 hour ago, clo said:

You mean bell bottoms?  

That was so last year though. Even the article is dated March 2018.

5 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

That was so last year though. Even the article is dated March 2018.

Yep. Junk those bell bottoms boys and girls because this year it's tie-dye and the 1960's. Then you'll have to toss all that tie-dye crap out because in 2020 it's the 1950's revival with saddle shoes and bobby socks!

On 6/23/2019 at 6:57 PM, MicCanberra said:

I would never go out of my house or cabin in my sleepwear.

I have done it once or twice on my balcony and my wife told me off -so no more.

You have a good wife. You should keep her!

We thank her, mucho! lol

Posted (edited)

Not certain why this is even an issue.  We only wear them on the balcony at breakfast.  It is not uncommon for us to see people wearing a bathrobe to the pool at various resorts.  Usually higher end resorts.  It is such a non issue that it surprises me that there are so many opinions about it.  Surely it simply comes down to a personal preference or what one is accustomed to.   

Edited by iancal

1 hour ago, iancal said:

Not certain why this is even an issue.  We only wear them on the balcony at breakfast.  It is not uncommon for us to see people wearing a bathrobe to the pool at various resorts.  Usually higher end resorts.  It is such a non issue that it surprises me that there are so many opinions about it.  Surely it simply comes down to a personal preference or what one is accustomed to.   

There are really only two fundamental topics when it comes to clothes:  

The tendency of people to make bad decisions about what to wear, and

The  apparently irresistable tendency other people have to comment on those decisions.  

3 hours ago, iancal said:

I've got people in robes at locations other than the pool at my resort hotel all the time.  No one blinks an eye or recoils in horror, no one comes and complains about it at the Front Desk.  I'd much rather see someone in a robe than those women who put on the sheer/see-through/mesh "coverups" and walk around.  

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

I've got people in robes at locations other than the pool at my resort hotel all the time.  No one blinks an eye or recoils in horror, no one comes and complains about it at the Front Desk.  I'd much rather see someone in a robe than those women who put on the sheer/see-through/mesh "coverups" and walk around.  

One of the differences between an upscale resort hotel and a mass market cruise line.

Not all the decisions are bad, and not everyone has to comment.

Edited by navybankerteacher

Well, what else would people complain about if not for the people in bathrobes, Chair hogs?