Alaska 2019 photo review

cruisinskier

The rest of the evening we just laid low, the finale of Game of Thrones was on , we picked up a pizza in town and brought it back to our cabin to watch the show.

The next day we awoke unsure what our plans were.   We had already done the one thing we had come to Talkeetna to do.   We did know we were going to have breakfast at the Roadhouse....one of many places in town built around the climbing community.

DSC02200.jpg

IMG_2593.jpg

DSC02202.jpg

IMG_2607.jpg

Edited by cruisinskier

After breakfast we headed to check out the Ranger Station, where all the climbers must register and prove they are ready, before they start their 17-21 day trek to summit Mt Denali.  They had a great video here that truly gives you insight to the challenges of this climb.

It was still early in the season but no one had summitted yet.   Typically they said 50% of those who try make it to the summit.

DSC02120.jpg

DSC02121.jpg

Great pictures! Thanks for sharing with us. Definitely following along. We took the Talkeetna Air Taxi flight same as you the day b4 (May 18) but landed on a different glacier ( Kahiltna Glacier at 7,200 feet). It's where the climbers base b4 making the summit attempt. Looks like all have failed so far this year. Looks as if the weather is great there this morning also. The FAA has two weather webcams set up there. https://avcams.faa.gov/

Kahiltna Glacier FAA Weather Cam.jpg

Talkeetna-Air-Base-Camp-Arr.jpg

Edited by masterdrago
  • Like 1

On 6/22/2019 at 11:50 AM, masterdrago said:

Great pictures! Thanks for sharing with us. Definitely following along. We took the Talkeetna Air Taxi flight same as you the day b4 (May 18) but landed on a different glacier ( Kahiltna Glacier at 7,200 feet). It's where the climbers base b4 making the summit attempt. Looks like all have failed so far this year. Looks as if the weather is great there this morning also. The FAA has two weather webcams set up there. https://avcams.faa.gov/

Kahiltna Glacier FAA Weather Cam.jpg

Talkeetna-Air-Base-Camp-Arr.jpg

That must have been great to visit the base camp!!   What an experience!

5 hours ago, masterdrago said:

IMHO, Nagley's Store was the best shop in the whole little town. We were pretty lucky in that the rain kept away while we were roaming around town. Very much enjoying your share of your trip.

For anyone who is into Northern Lights photos, check out Aurora Dora.   We really enjoyed her shop and talked with her for about an hour.   Her passion truly is chasing the perfect Northern Lights photo.  She could tell us the story behind each shot, the date it was taken, etc.... We couldn't take photos in her shop but her website shows you her work..... https://www.auroradora.com/

Edited by cruisinskier

Tuesday May 21 - Talkeetna to Seward

After an uneventful evening, and maybe a return to the Roadhouse for breakfast, it was time to drive back to Anchorage and head onward towards Seward.   While we researched many options and places we could have  spent time before our cruise, we liked the idea of one base and some downtime before a port intensive cruise.   We also found there would be lots around Seward to keep us busy.  So we hit the road on our drive to Seward.....

Sometimes it is a challenge to keep your eyes on the road.....

1.jpg

DSC02207.jpg

DSC02185.jpg

As we were stopped at this beach, we saw this guy land....

DSC02159.5.jpg

DSC02154.5.jpg

Edited by cruisinskier

5 minutes ago, mapleleaves said:

I've always had to visit Alaska in late July thru August, so it's interesting to see how much more snow is around earlier in the season.

We were chatting with one of our flight pilots.   When she first came to Alaska 30 years ago, the snow in May now is equal to what she said used to there at the end of the summer.....

We continued our drive, arriving in Seward late afternoon.   Given we were here for 4 nights, we had decided to rent a home we found on VRBO and it turned out to be great for us.  The owners were very responsive and great to work with, and shared some of the best Halibut we have ever had!!  The property was well situated just on the outskirts of town very close to the Safeway grocery store.   You can find the link to the property here:  https://www.vrbo.com/580854

The front

IMG_2791.jpg

The view

IMG_2789.jpg

Inside

IMG_2696.jpg

IMG_2698.jpg

IMG_2693.jpg

Fire Pit out back

IMG_2729.jpg

Edited by cruisinskier

Wednesday May 22 - Seward & Orca Tour

After getting settled in the house and buying some groceries the night before, we were ready to set out on our Orca Quest tour with Major Marine!   It was an overcast day and cool out on the water when we were moving but we were excited to see if we could find Orcas in their natural habitat!!

DSC02232.jpg

IMG_2705.jpg

IMG_2710.jpg

The Orca Song, our tour boat, had maybe 30-35 people aboard so we had lots of space to move around.   There were table on the lower level (with a couple remaining empty) and an upper viewing area with seats as well.

We weren't far out of the harbour when we saw our first whales.....not the Orcas we were after yet but rather some  Humpbacks....we were off to a good start!!

Mom & Baby

DSC02275.jpg

DSC02295.jpg

On 6/24/2019 at 5:48 PM, cruisinskier said:

We were chatting with one of our flight pilots.   When she first came to Alaska 30 years ago, the snow in May now is equal to what she said used to there at the end of the summer.....

That's strange. When I was there for two weeks hiking the Chugach Mountains in late August of '95, I remember no snow remnants whatsoever except in the occasional view we had of Denali. I'll dig out my 35mm Velvia slides to look them over.

3 minutes ago, masterdrago said:

That's strange. When I was there for two weeks hiking the Chugach Mountains in late August of '95, I remember no snow remnants whatsoever except in the occasional view we had of Denali. I'll dig out my 35mm Velvia slides to look them over.

It may not have been Denali....I believe it was Michelle in Ketchikan who said it during our tour with her......