Cruise Critic Community
crystalspin

Nieuw Statendam Q's

New Ship! Few threads and/or reviews!

(1) HAL deckplans studiously avoid calling the Crows Nest, the Crows Nest. (It is the Exploration Cafe and the EXC.) Surely they know we will not be dissuaded so easily? It will take a generation to lose the name just like the Captain's Corner! We were on the Zuiderdam this spring, the Crows Nest bar and the Exploration Cafe had merged, which was fine with us as we could segue right from Lattes to Pain Killers! However, the pics on CruiseDeckPlans appear to show only an espresso bar and not a BAR set up. Tell me it is not so, if we drink coffee as long as we want to be gazing at the ocean, we will be bouncing off the walls!

(2) Third person in an obstructed balcony on Beethoven deck. For sure a sofa-bed and not a drop-down Pullman (they have different symbols). But what does this photo show???

1522323659_4062bed.JPG.caf07a95fb6eb33c1a5182a9ef23d929.JPG

'Cuz it looks like it shows the bed being made by flipping the entire back of the sofa over to the floor! My mom had an acceptably comfortable bed on the Zaandam Verandah where the bed "emerged" by flipping the SEAT of the soft; it's hard to imagine the pictured sofa-bed being very comfortable!

That's all I can think of now. More later!

12 hours ago, crystalspin said:

However, the pics on CruiseDeckPlans appear to show only an espresso bar and not a BAR set up. Tell me it is not so

It is a bar set up along with the coffee bar.  The liquors/wine are stored in a cabinet at the rear of the Explorations Cafe.  I asked the attendant on embarkation day if he could serve my a glass of wine and/or a mixed drink.  He said "Yes".  Whether they have a full range of liquors/wines that would be available at one of the other bars, I don't know.

59 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

It is a bar set up along with the coffee bar.  

Oh thank you! I am relieved!

The bed setup is what it is, I do see now that the cabin is marked for four on the deckplan (both of the cabins I booked are) which can be one on the sofa-bed and one on a drop-down, but I supposed it could also mean a two-person sofa bed. My guess in that photo was that the sofa made up as a bed was in the way of getting to the balcony, but if it is that, we will flop it out of the way as in that photo!