Table for 2.... Rude or not??

Hoof Hearted

We use Open Dining and prefer a table for 2, but on one long cruise on Amsterdam we were not able to get a 2-top until much later in the evenings, 7:45 or 8:00.  We were told we could not reserve in the usual up to 3-days in advance for any earlier hours because all the 2-tops available for Open Diners had been reserved for the whole 7-week cruise by those who had been on the previous cruise (those who got on in Vancouver).  Because it was a 7-week cruise there were many 4 and 5 star passengers; we boarded in San Diego for the Tales of the South Pacific as 3 Star Mariners and became 4 Star in the last 2 weeks (yes they called us to give us our 4 Star cards).  We talked to the Dining Room Manager early on and we were stonewalled, later on we met with the Hotel Manager to no avail - they had already made their decisions to favor those on ahead of us and with higher star levels.  For the whole 7 weeks we adjusted our hours to eat later so we could eat together, and we also wound up eating many more dinners in the Lido than we usually would have.  

On larger ships and shorter cruises with fewer high-star passengers it's easier.  m--

Nothing at all wrong with wanting a table to yourselves.  There are a few on here who call us "unsociable" when we state we want to eat alone and not at a table with strangers.  Too bad.  I'll still get my 2-top or eat elsewhere.  I have to talk to strangers and make chit chat every day at work, so I really don't want to do that on my vacations.  It's my vacation/cruise - I don't want to be thrown in with a herd of strangers when I am dining...

• Like 4

I'm sue tehyFor those who feel  obliged to chat with  the the woman on her own.  Please don't  feel you must.  🙂 

Well, sure , if you see or hear her chocking, give her the heimlich

It is  likely she asked for that table for two for herself as she did not want to feel obliged to get into the 'how many cruises have you taken  boring chit chat.  ?  H

ere are photos of the 

'grand kids etc'.  Don't try to guess her 'story'  in voice(s) loud enough she can hear you  I liked my table for two, set for one, just fine.  I took advantage of the opportunity to review my memories of so many dinners with with my late DH in HAL MDR's.   Yes, I missed him but boring chat with strangers was not going to change that.   

When HAL designed the ships and the MDR's, they must have known there would be a demand for tables for two or  why include so many  on both levels of the DR?  They want those tables used. They have been sailing for a great many  years and while society has changed, people are people  Couples are couples, unique in their own ways  There will usually be plenty of couples and/or solos who want a private table. 

.image.png.52b00bab2db13686ffa8eb3afbbcb8b2.png 

sail.noordam@gmail.com

Edited by sail7seas
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, sail7seas said:

...I liked my table for two, set for one, just fine.  I took advantage of the opportunity to review my memories of so many dinners with with my late DH in HAL MDR's.   Yes, I missed him but boring chat with strangers was not going to change that...

I feel sure I would do the same if I were to be widowed in the future. I would continue cruising as a solo traveler (since one cannot count on finding, or even want, a travel companion sometimes).I would be quite happy to dine on my own versus being seated at a big table with strangers who might not even show up.

44 minutes ago, Caribbean Chris said:

I feel sure I would do the same if I were to be widowed in the future. I would continue cruising as a solo traveler (since one cannot count on finding, or even want, a travel companion sometimes).I would be quite happy to dine on my own versus being seated at a big table with strangers who might not even show up.

I would rather travel alone on a ship  than to ever share my suite.  Not my style 

IF I had any living family I might feel differently but  it is  what  it  is.  I won't share a hotel room ,  a   ship cabin or the   bathroom.  🙂

At least I am smart enough to know  that about myself and know it would not work for me.

image.png.ee683d04849286ed025506bb4b396179.png

sail.noordam@gmail.com

Edited by sail7seas
  • Like 2

We almost always ask for a table for 2. We got burned by another couple and their mother in law from the south who only wanted to talk politics and that was enough for me.We prefer our own company at dinner time, even though we are both friendly and outgoing people.

7 minutes ago, mamaofami said:

We almost always ask for a table for 2. We got burned by another couple and their mother in law from the south who only wanted to talk politics and that was enough for me.We prefer our own company at dinner time, even though we are both friendly and outgoing people.

That had to be awful...to have that aggravation on vacation

DH and I only  shared a  table if we had sailed with friends or had friends on the ship who joined us.

image.png.904eeda65cfddd31d4327e58b5016b06.png

sail.noordam@gmail.com

Not at all rude, OP.   It seems to be the unanimous opinion.    I enjoy meeting new people but we also like to finish eating in a timely manner.   Many times we've missed the show because tablemates came late and we all had to wait for them to order, eat their appetizer, etc. before all of us were served the entree at the same time.  Or they liked the looks of something someone else ordered and then ordered a second one which everyone had to wait for them to be served and eat.   Show missed.   You've got me thinking that I might want to request this for our upcoming cruise.   

Sometimes requesting a table for 2 is a good thing for other diners, too. Years ago I gradually lost the ability to hear conversation in a noisy dining room across a round table for six (and eventually became deaf). At one point,, we were seated with two delightful couples on a 21-day transatlantic, and even with lip-reading, I could barely could understand fragments, much less respond to the conversation. It was frustrating and I realized it would have been more enjoyable for them and relaxing for me if we hadn’t been at that table. Now we always request two-tops, and I travel with a hearing dog I can position on the floor away from foot traffic.

• Like 1

Thank you so much for all the comments I have my answer now ...  I just called my travel agent and confirmed that my wife and I are going to be sitting at a table for two ... 😋  we may just eat every night in the MDR ...

56 minutes ago, Hoof Hearted said:

Thank you so much for all the comments I have my answer now ...  I just called my travel agent and confirmed that my wife and I are going to be sitting at a table for two ... 😋  we may just eat every night in the MDR ...

Enjoy dining at a table for two.

We always request a  table for two when we book a cruise, and appreciate our request being granted.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sail7seas said:

I'm sue tehyFor those who feel  obliged to chat with  the the woman on her own.  Please don't  feel you must.  🙂 

Well, sure , if you see or hear her chocking, give her the heimlich

It is  likely she asked for that table for two for herself as she did not want to feel obliged to get into the 'how many cruises have you taken  boring chit chat.  ?  H

ere are photos of the 

'grand kids etc'.  Don't try to guess her 'story'  in voice(s) loud enough she can hear you  I liked my table for two, set for one, just fine.  I took advantage of the opportunity to review my memories of so many dinners with with my late DH in HAL MDR's.   Yes, I missed him but boring chat with strangers was not going to change that.   

When HAL designed the ships and the MDR's, they must have known there would be a demand for tables for two or  why include so many  on both levels of the DR?  They want those tables used. They have been sailing for a great many  years and while society has changed, people are people  Couples are couples, unique in their own ways  There will usually be plenty of couples and/or solos who want a private table. 

.image.png.52b00bab2db13686ffa8eb3afbbcb8b2.png 

sail.noordam@gmail.com

Oh Sails, well said! One day I hope I get a chance to say hello on a cruise that your on!!  I’ve always enjoy your writings and your wisdom over all the years!

Denise😊

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Hoof Hearted said:

Can you get a confirmed table 8 months out from your cruise with the fixed dining option??

Agree with kazu that 8 mos is probably too far out. The dining room managers don't even begin allocating table assignments for a particular voyage until about 1-2 weeks before sailing.

That being said, we have been consistently successful working with Ship Services and receiving a confirmed table assignment at about 4 mos out, which is what we usually do.

2 hours ago, sail7seas said:

That had to be awful...to have that aggravation on vacation

image.png.904eeda65cfddd31d4327e58b5016b06.png

sail.noordam@gmail.com

Yes, but there is a remedy for this. Speak to the dining room manager and ask to have your table reassigned. It's usually not that difficult, and they're very accommodating.

16 hours ago, Hoof Hearted said:

Just a question about getting a table in the MDR for just 2, is it rude not to want to sit with others and what is the best way to reserve a table for 2 in the MDR?? Is it worth paying for the $600 romantic package for the table guarantee and the extra perks??

Don't do the $600 Romantic pkg just for a table for 2.  We have changed our table preferences over the years.  We started out loving large tables, 8 - 10 size.  But that was 20 years ago.  We evolved to tables for 4 - 6 and those worked out just okay...  Once we were with a couple where only the husband spoke English and couldn't communicate with the wife at all.  Another time we were with a group that complained about everything little detail.  I couldn't stand that and we were able to change our table.  Once at a 6 top and never once did all 6 eat together and we never knew when the others were going to show up or not.  And the times we sailed with my mother we were at a table for 4 which worked out perfect for the 3 of us.  Now we ask for a table for 2 and if we can't get a confirmation before sailing for whatever reason we just ask upon sailing.  The Maitre d' is usually available in the MDR to ask.  We weren't able to get a confirmed table our last cruise because we booked so close to sailing.  I went to the MDR, spoke with the Maitre d' and asked for table for 2 at 8:00pm.  He took our cabin number and noted it and it was never a problem.  I do have to say he wasn't the friendliest person but he was efficient and helpful.  Lucky us, 3 night we were taken to MDR for fixed seating and had a lovely table with great stewards.  The main steward offered the table to us for the rest of cruise because it hadn't been reserved and of course we said yes.  He then went to the Maitre d' and set everything up for us.  A very pleasant chain of events made for a wonderful experience in the Dining Room each evening.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

Oh Sails, well said! One day I hope I get a chance to say hello on a cruise that your on!!  I’ve always enjoy your writings and your wisdom over all the years!

Denise😊

Denise the pleasure would   be m,ine if we  were to one day meet on a 'dam ship  WE  can  hope  🙂
image.png.08975964fed02e01d7da33c88aa51a36.png

sail.noordam@gmail.com

• Like 1

16 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

Can’t see how it could possibly be rude.

It is so rare when all here agree about

anything...... ENJOY  this moment. !   🙂

image.png.1868bca9d8a4635be659af7b207f460d.png

sail.noordam@gmail.com

OP...  Great question, good thread

Thank you for it.

image.png

Edited by sail7seas
  • Like 1

On the "Ask a Cruise Question" forum, there is a thread about "Have you ever had terrible tablemates."  A frequent poster here on CC wrote:

"...Folks have 1 or two bad experiences with tablemates and then spend the rest of their life at 2 tops.  Although we have had a couple of lousy tables (over more than 40 years of extensive cruising) this pales by comparison to the fun tables and many wonderful friends we have met when sharing tables.  I am convinced that the rise of social media has created a sub-culture of folks who have simply forgotten (or never knew) how to socialize face to face."

I know how to socialize.  I'm not a social media freak (what's Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest???).   I choose to use my time on a cruise to reconnect with myself, relax, reboot.  If forced to sit with others, I can turn on the actress and chat a bunch of babble with the best of them; after all, that's my job at work.   Allow me to regale the table with tales of poorly-behaved guests, drunk Supreme Court Justices, Presidential candidates who treat their nannies like slaves, celebrities who stiff the hotel for a bottle of Dom, etc.  But, that would turn my vacation into a "busman's holiday"...   

Enjoy your table for 2.  Enjoy the interaction with your SO without interruption.  Rekindle some emotions you may have left behind.  Get the romance going!!! 

• Like 3

After all these years I've finally figured out why I like a table for 2 at dinner (unless we're traveling with friends or relatives).  I'm a morning person and the thought of making small talk in the evening is just too taxing lol.  Breakfast or lunch, no problem!  And I do love to meet new people during the day, just not at dinner 😉  

It isn’t rude at all.

Why should you feel obliged to share a table with other people? You wouldn’t do it in upscale restaurants ashore!

Some people like the idea of meeting new people, I happen to prefer the company of my wife - nothing wrong in that!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mickb said:

It isn’t rude at all.

Why should you feel obliged to share a table with other people? You wouldn’t do it in upscale restaurants ashore!

Some people like the idea of meeting new people, I happen to prefer the company of my wife - nothing wrong in that!

Exactly.  Even with the twosie tables jammed so close that you are essentially at a table for four or a banquet table, if the folks at the adjacent tables are religious or political zealots or one-uppers it is easy to avoid them the next evening by requesting a table for two in a different area or at a different time.  On the other hand, if the folks at the adjacent table are a delight, it's easy to make a plan to dine with them again.  

Early in our cruising years, we found ourselves at tables for 4 or more and changing the tables because the others were so annoying or intolerable. Much easier just to request a table for two and see what develops.

We had a one-time bad experience with a table for 8 quite a few cruises ago (not HAL), and have since requested and received a table for two with no problem every time.  We always confirm as soon as we're on board.